Skoda octavia 1.6 TDI

I have a 1.6tdi elegance, and I came from a 2.0tdi Passat; to be quite honest I don't notice the performance difference, the Octy overtakes no problem and returns 60mpg on my average run. So far have covered 54K in the last 14 months and it has been a great car.

Last October we towed a camper (850kg) around France and it pulled not problem up hills; cruised at 80mph no problem and still returned 48mpg on average.

For me a company car driver the 1.6 makes much more sense (about £80 per month :) ), and I think is a great car with a good spec.

+1 on that Spiceman... 

As this thread has revived... I HATE the VAG 1.6 TDI. Horribly underpowered, it has zero low end torque (which is odd for a derv - it's like they tuned it to behave like a petrol), and is mated only to a 5 speed (at least in the case of the Yeti I am driving on loan right now).

Not sure what overtaking you guys do but I find it difficult to find safe gaps to do it in (I live in rural Dorset so no motorways and limited dual carriageway combined with many slow tractors/caravans make for the need for much overtaking).

For comparison the BMW 1.6TDI (90bhp) is an awesome engine - didn't mind that in my Mrs Mini we just sold, and I'm used to 300bhp+ in my cars...

Yesterday i drove a toyota with the 1.6 diesel (used on bmw) with 116 hp.had good low end pick up but like my 1.6 tdi at 1000rpm had to lower a gear. Although it seemed good pick up at low rpm after a certain rpm my 1.6 was way more willing and more power, it's mapped. Then i drove the new octavia with 110hp and a 6 speed gearbox (only 1000km on it) it was more refined than the toyota engine, the gearbox and clutch engagement was way smoother. Didn't like the non independent rear suspension. Oh yes the Toyota had 14000km and was averaging between 6.5-7.0 liters

I have a 1.6tdi elegance, and I came from a 2.0tdi Passat; to be quite honest I don't notice the performance difference, the Octy overtakes no problem and returns 60mpg on my average run. So far have covered 54K in the last 14 months and it has been a great car.

Last October we towed a camper (850kg) around France and it pulled not problem up hills; cruised at 80mph no problem and still returned 48mpg on average.

For me a company car driver the 1.6 makes much more sense (about £80 per month :) ), and I think is a great car with a good spec.

Me too, my last four have all been 2.0TDI 140's, two Passat B6's, one Passat CC and one Audi A6. Last year I got a Superb FL 1.6 Greenline and it's fine, you soon get used to it.

Lots of people say they 'need' more power, but what they really mean is they 'want' or 'prefer' more power which is not the same thing at all. It wasn't so long ago that a VW 1.9TDI put out 90bhp which people thought was great (brilliant engine it was too), or like my old Series 3 Land Rover with 'only' 70 bhp and 120 torque that towed all the time. Last week I saw a Superb Greenline Estate towing a caravan just outside Paris quite happily moving along - what more do you really need.

Edited by cnc
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I've got this engine in my car, not by choice initially as I wanted the 2.0TD version but couldn't get that engine without a long wait last autumn.

Initial thoughts were that the engine was a bit flat, especially compared to my last cars 2.2TD engine which was ridiculously quick but after 9000 miles the engine feels much more powerful than it did initially, more than good enough for normal driving if you are not expecting a sports car.

Biggest issue with this engine is the bizarre 5 speed gear box this car comes with as the gear ratios are a bit gappy to say the least, it should have had a 6 speed box as standard and I see that the new Greenline version does indeed have a 6 speed box with a higher engine power output too! With my car I frequently have to change down to third gear whilst driving at 30mph around towns as the car will struggle in 4th gear. I'd say that 4th gear is really more like 5th gear in my last car and its 5th gear is a real overdrive equivalent to 6th gear in my mondeo.

I can't relate to much of this. I have a mk II 2011 1.6 TDI Elegance (manual). Have done about 25K in it. This is my experience:-

1.Economy - great ,av 58mpg, 73 mpg on long mixed run (best) typically 63 mpg. 45mpg cold on journeys less than 5 miles around town.

2. Power - fine for me but I'm no boy racer

3. Noise - appalling. Sounds like a Massey Ferguson tractor on tick over and that's from inside the car. Outside even worse! Noisy when worked hard but ok at cruising speeds but that might be due to the buzzing horrendous tyre noise on concrete and coarse tarmac. Vanishes on smooth roads. Tried different make of tyres made no difference.

Is the mk III any queiter? I hope so.

I've got to laugh at the 1.6 TDI haters.

Ford are just about to launch the all-new Mondeo... with a 1.0 petrol engine.

Engines are getting smaller with increasing power outputs. Gone are the days when "only a two litre will do".

• Like 1

@JoseDB - I suggest you do some more homework before spouting off so aggressively at everyone. Rudeness is not a pleasant trait and is particularly undesirable when you are in the wrong. The Yeti does NOT have the same engines as the Octavia 3 and won't until it is next updated. The Octavia 3 (and the upcoming Fabia 3) has the new generation EA288 diesels, whereas the Yeti is the previous generation engines, which are much less efficient and also much less responsive.

I don't know what engines are fitted to the A1 but given how long ago it was introduced I feel certain that it will also have the older generation engines.

I suggest you pipe down and stop attacking people, particularly when your facts are so wrong.

@JoseDB - I suggest you do some more homework before spouting off so aggressively at everyone. Rudeness is not a pleasant trait and is particularly undesirable when you are in the wrong. The Yeti does NOT have the same engines as the Octavia 3 and won't until it is next updated. The Octavia 3 (and the upcoming Fabia 3) has the new generation EA288 diesels, whereas the Yeti is the previous generation engines, which are much less efficient and also much less responsive.

I don't know what engines are fitted to the A1 but given how long ago it was introduced I feel certain that it will also have the older generation engines.

I suggest you pipe down and stop attacking people, particularly when your facts are so wrong.

BORING!! Old thread, glad you felt the need to revive it!

I've not posted since August, and you liked the post!!!

I test drove the 1.6 and the 2.0 and I found the 1.6 to be more than capable for putting a smile on my face. It's not super fast but driven with zest it goes well. In the end I went for the 2.0 because it put even more of a smile on my face, the fuel efficiency is more than I got in my old car and the power is great fun to apply, especially so after discovering the "sport" button after the engine had been run in. At the end of the day anyone going for the 1.6 shouldn't be unimpressed it's a very good engine, not going to win any prizes for overall pace but you can push it and get a bit of fun from it.

The best place to be with this engine is on a motorway/ country road because it can drive very well even fully loaded with passengers or loads of stuff; which in the estate version is really a surprising amount. I drove mine the other night coming back from Glasgow with 4 passengers and it was effortless to drive at the legal limits, no worse than my old Mondeo 2.2TD. The only place the 1.6 engine struggles is town driving because of gearing ratios and the way the engine is tuned, which is obviously aimed more at economy with low emissions than outright performance but the Mondeo was also not that great in towns but in its case that was because of its awful clutch which in town driving virtually crippled me because it was so heavy, swings and roundabouts really, few cars are perfect at everything and on the whole I think the Octavia is a better car than the Mondeo was but I still miss my heated seats and quick clear windscreen! These options should really be standard with the Elegance spec, even the new Corsa has quick clear windscreens on every model and Ford's have had it for years.

If you don't mind changing gears a bit more often, the 1.6 engine can more than keep pace with bigger engined cars. The difference with bigger engines is that things are just that bit more relaxed as the extra power means you don't need to change gears as often. I kind of wonder if Skoda will do a bit more work on this engine as the Greenline model has higher power, lower emissions and a 6 speed box, still using this engine. Even giving it a 6 speed gear box with better spread ratios could transform it.

I've just recently had a few days with the 1.6 engine in a courtesy Passat whilst my own car was being repaired after a breakdown.

It averaged about 64 mpg. 6 speed manual, very impressive actually. A few times I caught myself wondering why I bought a vRS.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I've just recently had a few days with the 1.6 engine in a courtesy Passat whilst my own car was being repaired after a breakdown.

It averaged about 64 mpg. 6 speed manual, very impressive actually. A few times I caught myself wondering why I bought a vRS.

I drove the 140 mile trip home on Wednesday after work in my (new to me) Octavia '14 reg. Thought I'd see what kind of mileage I could get...

CggkGsaWIAAa4wA.jpg

I think I peaked at 83.3mpg but the last leg includes a big hill and narrow country roads.

Edited by bhofmann

Having had a Mk3 Octy 1.6 TDI for over a year now (well 2 actually but thats another story lol) despite issues i have had i cannot really fault the performance, economy and comfort of the vehicle. I easily keep up with everything i come across during my 15 mile drive to work down a mixture of B and A roads. Also easily achieve 65-70mpg during this commute. Actually peaked at 83 mpg one day during my drive in, but ended up with a measly 76 once parked up at work ;-). 

I drove little a little old lady. I accelerated gently, drive mostly 60mph and freewheeled down the hills (engine on of course). I don't normally drive like this but I wanted to see what I'd get if I really tried.

Next week: sport mode!

I drove little a little old lady. I accelerated gently, drive mostly 60mph and freewheeled down the hills (engine on of course). I don't normally drive like this but I wanted to see what I'd get if I really tried.

Next week: sport mode!

be careful ,i did this on my last car .... every day i tryed to get the consuption Down.. it's like an addiction

:-)

• Like 1