wing mirrors of imminent doom

I have a question - since I have got my Superb I have noticed that the glass in general for Windscreen and Driver/Passenger door windows are oddly "dark" but the Wing Mirrors are so ridiculously dark they are actually an issue. When I am reversing in the dark I've taken to cursing about it because they really do prevent me from seeing with any clarity. It is just a matter of time before I scrape something as a result :(

Is this just me? I've never had any issues with any previous cars (Fabia/Octavia/Honda_Civic/Volvo_C30_D5) and it is *really* annoying. It is like Skoda have found a way to harness Black Holes as Wing Mirrors to suck in the light and prevent you from parking.

Anyone else have similar issue?

Try turning off the auto dimming mirror feature (button underneath the interior mirror), as the Superb has dimming outside mirrors these will dim also when the interior mirror detects a lightsource behind you. You can test this using a flashlight (not LED) and shine it into the sensor underneath the interior mirror glass. You should notice the inside + outside mirrors dimming. If there's a problem (ex. they stay dimmed all the time), something is wrong and you should visit your local friendly dealer.

It is possible to change the % they dim using VCDS, so if they are too dark when dimming, you can try that fix.

If they do operate normally, and you still feel they are too dark, maybe try to source some "clear" mirror glass from ebay (the self dimming glass is expensive, so after they are damaged lots of people replace them using non-dimming glass)

Edited by Too Tall

I agree, this sounds like the auto dim feature alright.  Does this only happen in the dark/dusk or is there a darker tint present all the time?  If the auto dimming function is working correctly you should see a dark green tinted area that extends to about 10-15mm from the edge of the mirror when there is a light source.  I'm not sure why the windscreen would be darker though - you may get the impression that the rear window appears darker but again this the rear view mirror dimming.  As Too Tall mentioned I'm sure flicking the switch when you're parking and then flicking it back again when you are driving should solve it.

Also the heating element in the mirror could possibly damage the auto dimming function over time.

if you have auto dimming then the button to switch it off and on is located on the bottom of the rear view mirror.

it was not standard on the Elegance Superb and would have been a factory option.

Is it any better with the windows rolled down?  I know you're in winter over there but I'm trying to establish if it's dark tinted windows or tinted mirrors.

There have been some aftermarket mirror glasses with a blue tint around on ebay and the like.

Also, are you wearing polarised sunglasses?

Edited by wokwon