Ford Focus ST diesel - viable alternative to the Octy vRS diesel?!?

Morning all,

I read this morning on the Autocar and Autoexpress websites that Ford are bringing out a Focus ST diesel, presumably in both hatchback and estate versions, with 182bhp, 0-60mph in 8 secs and CO2 emissions of 114g/km.  Although I don't know if these performance figures are for the hatchback or the estate, they seem comparable to the Octy's.  In addition, Ford have attempted to address people's beef about the button-heavy centre console in the facelift, so hopefully that should sort out one of the Achilles heel of the current Focus.  Apart from the other things that it gives away to the Octy (i.e. no DSG, central exhaust therefore no tow bar, and space), does anyone else on here think it's a viable alternative to the Octy vRS diesel?

Edited by Statto

Aside from no towbar can be fitted, no DSG,. small boot and (in my case) runs on the wrong fuel, sounds fine.. :giggle:   Taking 8.2 seconds to 60 with 182bhp suggests it's a bit of a porker....

Can they deliver one in less than 6 months?

• Like 1

should outhandle an Octy in it's sleep.

I think the estate ST is quite the looker.

I agree.  And if they can do something about that awful panel gap at the leading edge of the bonnet, it should be an improvement over the current Focus'.  The Focus has also got proper Recaro buckets, which seem to be much nicer than the pseudo buckets in the Octy.

Although theorectically in the same class (based on price) the Focus and Octavia are too different to be directly comparable.

Based on size alone the Octavia should go up against the Mondeo.

The Focus will outhandle the Octavia, it always has BUT try fitting 4 (or 5) people in comfortably and it's impossible in the Ford.

The Focus should really go up against the Golf, A3 and Leon but the A3 is out of the running due to price, the Leon isn't everyone's cup of tea and a Focus ST Vs a Golf GTD will always result in the Golf is a nice all rounder but the Focus is more 'sporty'

The outgoing Mondeo had a 200HP 2.2 Diesel.  Fit that in a Focus, get the kerbweight under 1250Kg and it'd be fantastic!

Focus looks godawful on the inside though.  Seats are nice but instruments and console is awful.

The centrally mounted exhaust on the standard ST is impractical. The same on a diesel version would be downright idiotic and alienate a large number of potential customers.

Personally I'll give it a miss.

I'd rather take a central but functional exhaust over a fake and unnecessary "double" exhaust. The Octy's exhaust reminds me of the fake exhausts that spotty teens put on their Corsas to fool folk into believing that ther 1.4 litre four pot is actually a v6!

The centrally mounted exhaust on the standard ST is impractical. The same on a diesel version would be downright idiotic and alienate a large number of potential customers.

Personally I'll give it a miss.

Can the Focus exhausts possibly be more impractical than the twin exhaust pipes on the VRS, especially the one which isn't even real on the VRS TDI?

I really wanted an ST estate but the running costs put me off. A decent diesel would tempt me but I'm not sure if the Ford diesels would get the same spec as the petrols as they didn't in the Mondeo.

Also the recaros look great but they weren't half a tight fit! I'm not a big chap but I struggled to sit in them comfortably.

Can the Focus exhausts possibly be more impractical than the twin exhaust pipes on the VRS, especially the one which isn't even real on the VRS TDI?

if you're referring to the mk3, I don't know, as I don't own one.

Are you telling me you can't fit a towbar to a mk3 Octy?, as I doubt you can to any centrally mounted exhaust car.

A lot of folk would have chose this car as a tow vehicle, but as often the case nowadays, its succumbed to form over function.

Edited by BobSidian

if you're referring to the mk3, I don't know, as I don't own one.

Are you telling me you can't fit a towbar to a mk3 Octy?, as I doubt you can to any centrally mounted exhaust car.

A lot of folk would have chose this car as a tow vehicle, but as often the case nowadays, its succumbed to form over function.

i was referring to the mk3 (it's a mk3 sub forum), but I never mentioned anything whatsoever about towbars because I (and probably most others) do not need one.