Winter tyres off

Am I missing something or are some people complaining because winter tyres are not as good in the summer as summer ones, espcially in extreme circumstances.

Bit like me saying summer tyres are rubbish because they don't handle as well on snow as my winter tyres.

I'm sorry, but I'm afraid you are talking common sense.  That is not permitted in this particular thread, where posts should mainly be calculated to wind people up.

_ _  _

However I hope I may be permitted to report that I shall shortly be replacing the almost-new - and excellent - Continetal WinterContact TS850 tyres which (at my request) my car came with, with a set of summer tyres (on a set of new alloy wheels in fact) and am tossing up between Dunlop Sport BluResponse tyres at £45.30 or a set of Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance tyres at £49.47

Edited by Stuarted
  • Like 1

Am I missing something or are some people complaining because winter tyres are not as good in the summer as summer ones, espcially in extreme circumstances.

Bit like me saying summer tyres are rubbish because they don't handle as well on snow as my winter tyres.

no, but in a really mild winter like we just had, were one day was -1 then the next 6 degrees I argued that "summer" tyres would have been the better tyre.

for prolonged periods of cold below 3 degrees like we had several years ago then yes, id say winters would be a better tyre.

I have a very high degree of precision regarding the date when winter tyres come off. It happens every year at precisely the same time. That time is immediately after I have had time to clean and wax the alloy wheels.

On the secondary aspect to this thread then I don't think 120mph is really fast enough to properly judge winter tyres - they need to be pushed to the absolute limit on sheet ice covered B-roads to show their true capability . . .

In other words on a public highway. My original statement that you are driving irresponsibly very much stands now, and it's hardly a good idea to be boasting about breaking the law to this extent on a public internet forum.

There was a case only a couple of weeks ago about a biker who not only posted his boasts, but video as well, on You Tube, as he had a very lucky escape leaving the road at high speed in Cheshire. Cheshire Police have thrown the book at him, and deservedly so. As a professional driver, you should know better.

you asked me where you could do it safely, i didnt say that was where i done 120

wow really you think central scotland police view bri-skoda

you really think i could have the book flung at me for stating a speed that doesnt indicate if its mph or kph or on the road or track.

Edited by moanthebairns

Been following this post with much interest and amusement TBH. I can see why someone would argue that winter tyres were not required in the mild winter we just had but that's really like saying I don't need the RAC my car has never broke down! They are fitted mostly by people in the know and they DO work, regardless of driver skill etc. I have had nokians fitted to our other car(the wife's) for about the last 4 years now and they are a revolation in the snow and ice, and as they are left on ALL year I can tell you they are easily as good if not better than the Pirelli p rossos that they replaced in the summer months too. Wear rates have also been very reasonable. I replaced the 2 fronts last October after 3 winters/summers roughly 16000 miles. Which I think excellent for type of tyre mainly town some fast A roads. This winter I opted to get some winters ,again nokian (wra3) for my vrs as last year when the snow came my car became useless on even the slightest of slopes and even though they have seen no action TBH I am still glad I put them on. After 6 months of a mild winter and roughly 3000 miles they have worn hardly 1mm and will be good for a fair few more winters yet. Saying that next week the good old summer goodyear f1 ays2 are going on so I know I will be good if I have to slam the brakes on at 120 into a hairpin lol.

I'd be surprised if anyone from the IAM would be praising the type of driver who boasts about high speed car control. The one thing I have learnt in advance of my speed awareness course is that adrenalin does not feature in the advanced driver programme.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Edited by stever750

I'd be surprised if anyone from the IAM would be praising the type of driver who boasts about high speed car control. The one thing I have learnt in advance of my speed awareness course is that adrenalin does not feature in the advanced driver programme.

to be honest, who cares what the IAM would say my views on them are another topic and when did I ever mention that I was full of adrenalin...im driving a ****ing taxi its not exactly a thrilling car to drive. they aren't exactly quick even with a remap.

I notice such a backlash never occurred when a topic on "top speed of your car you have achieved" came up in the Octavia section a few weeks ago.

there must be some very timid drivers on here

No, just in full control of their required faculties. There's a difference between a public road and a track. Only a tit gets them mixed up, however great you are.

Edited by stever750

I bought a fire extinguisher once.   Complete waste of money.  Like all those air bags, crumple zones etc. on my car.  If you're as skilled as me you never hit anything, so you will never need them.

Like the parachute I wear when I fly - it's just for posing value.

I wore bike helmets for ~30 years and didn't need one.  Until last thursday.  It wasn't the gondola accessed DH tracks, it wasn't the jumps, it wasn't the trees, it wasn't the high speed.

It was a deep gravel patch in a friggen flat clearing where I wasn't paying attention.

The flexible tread blocks and flexible side walls of winter tyres are IMO just one more reminder to not drive like a tool in winter conditions.

Vredestein ultracs ate back on the front but discovered a large nail on the inner sidewall of the contis so the winters have to stay on the rear for a couple more weeks.