Advice required from 1.2 DSG (incl factory spare wheel ) owners

russianout

I test drove a 1.2 Elegance with spare wheel(not sure if it was factory fitted or not) at a local dealer, really liked the car, BUT, every time I accelerated I could hear what I thought was a noise from the Turbo, a kind of whirring noise and it drove me nuts.

I assume it was a noise coming from the the Turbo and wondered if the 'noise' was heard because of some lack of soundproofing which was as a result of the fitting of a spare wheel?

So, for any 1.2 DSG owners out there with a factory fitted spare, the question I have is : do you hear any such Turbo noise, when you accelerate? I currently have a Fabia 1.2 SE 69bhp and absolutely love it. It's a bit small and loses power quickly going uphill but it's a great wee car and I never hear any unexpected noises when I accelerate(I know, it doesn't have a Turbo).

I previously had a Grand CMax Poweshift with spare wheel and sold that after 5 months as it had a really noisy Turbo whine as soon as I accelerated at 1500rpm. So I'm seriously interested in buying a Yeti but I'm worried that the car will come with this turbo 'whine/whirr' and it'll drive me nuts (again!)

Of course it might just be me, but I've driven a Forester, Qashquai, Verso, CRV, CX5 , Rav4 and have never heard any Turbo whirr from them. I've also driven my sons Fabia 1.2TSI 86PS with spare, no sound of Turbo whirr.

Anyhoo, I would really appreciate feedback from 1.2 Yeti Owners, thanks in advance, cheers.

Sorry, my technical knowledge is almost non existent , but Im wondering if it's possible that the removal of the standard boot floor and including a spare wheel/new smaller floor could possibly mean a reduction in soundproofing , which results in 'hearing' some whine/whirr? (Which I've assumed comes from the Turbo)

If e.g. There are numerous 1.2 owners (with factory spare), who never hear any whirr/whine noise , then it was maybe just the one car I drove, or maybe it's me!

I thought the turbo was located somewhere near the exhaust? Of course it may not have been a noise caused by the turbo, but an annoying noise/whirr there definitely was , when I accelerated

I don't want to order a new car costing over £20K to find that it's noisy when I accelerate, so am trying to get the views of actual owners, so I can decide whether to take the risk whether to buy one or not

I have a 1.2 DSG Elegance with the factory fitted spare wheel. Certainly can't hear any whirring noise from the engine, also I don't think the factory fitted spare wheel would have any effect on an engine noise anyway. Perhaps worth trying another car of same spec - maybe there one you tried had a "fault"?

Generally the 1.2 DSG is whisper quiet.

Thanks for the replies, it sounds like it maybe was just the car I tested so I'll keep the Yeti on my list.

Now I just need to test drive the Petrol Qashquai, Golf SV , Octavia Scout and the BMW Active Tourer , then hopefully I'll be able to make a final decision.