Metallic rattle when accelerating

I have done just under 600 miles and I have notice a metallic rattle coming from the engine when accelerating. It appears to happen when the engine is cold and only when accelerating, as soon as I take my foot off the gas it stops. Is anyone else having or had this issue and should I be worried and rush to the dealer or is it something and nothing.

Yeh it's a 1.6TDI.

I have had a few TDI's in my time but can't remember ever having a rattle when cold.

It's quite loud as you can hear it over the radio.

It does go once the engine is warm.

• Like 1

My 150 TDi sounds pretty terrible from cold start, the injectors are very loud.

Skoda do not soundproof their cars like VW do; thats the reason you can hear alot more from the outside.....either that or the new gen engines are just loud from cold as a characteristic. I shouldnt worry about it if its driving fine and its not displaying any errors.

pipsyp - Thank you for the info. It's driving really well and the MPG is good and this is the reason I haven't taken it back immediately. I was just a bit worried I was turning a blind eye to a potential issue that may cause damage.

I've got to say the 1.6TDI is an excellent engine for it's size so the 2.0ltr must be amazing for a Diesel.

I'm just a bit wary as I had a Saab 2.0 ltr  Diesel for 4 years which gave me nothing but trouble. This was the reason to go back to petrol for my last car but I couldn't live the MPG. The DPF was a nightmare, the car either drove like it was going through treacle when it regenerated or worse still it would go into limp home mode. The car gave no warning before going into limp home mode so you couldn't even drive it hard to clear the DPF. This would happen every 4.5K. Good job it was a company car or it would have cost me a fortune. I tried to hand it back but they used the old faithful excuse " driving style " which was rubbish as I drive on a motorway every day so the DPF had time to warm up. In the end they changed the DPF and the sensors and low and behold no more DPF problems but this took nearly 3 years to sort out. On top of this the alternator, fuel pump and heat exchanger all failed along with numerous error messages and a multitude of cabin rattles due to the woeful interior build quality. Oh and the paint job looked like it had been applied with a 6inch brush. As you can tell I didn't like the Saab much rant over.

pipsyp - Thank you for the info. It's driving really well and the MPG is good and this is the reason I haven't taken it back immediately. I was just a bit worried I was turning a blind eye to a potential issue that may cause damage.

I've got to say the 1.6TDI is an excellent engine for it's size so the 2.0ltr must be amazing for a Diesel.

I'm just a bit wary as I had a Saab 2.0 ltr Diesel for 4 years which gave me nothing but trouble. This was the reason to go back to petrol for my last car but I couldn't live the MPG. The DPF was a nightmare, the car either drove like it was going through treacle when it regenerated or worse still it would go into limp home mode. The car gave no warning before going into limp home mode so you couldn't even drive it hard to clear the DPF. This would happen every 4.5K. Good job it was a company car or it would have cost me a fortune. I tried to hand it back but they used the old faithful excuse " driving style " which was rubbish as I drive on a motorway every day so the DPF had time to warm up. In the end they changed the DPF and the sensors and low and behold no more DPF problems but this took nearly 3 years to sort out. On top of this the alternator, fuel pump and heat exchanger all failed along with numerous error messages and a multitude of cabin rattles due to the woeful interior build quality. Oh and the paint job looked like it had been applied with a 6inch brush. As you can tell I didn't like the Saab much rant over.

No problem. Yes the 2.0 is a super thing; every bit as fast as the MK2 170 CR vRS its replaced and with 1200 miles on the clock already more frugal. Looks extremely humble from the outside so does surprise some people in more sporty looking things with similar power when they try it on.

Certainly do not worry about DPF issues with the newer gen VAG cars, ive amassed approx 88k miles across 3 cars now and neither has skipped a beat...the first being the original Golf Bluemotion with dredded PD and DPF combination...gave me 27k trouble free miles in a year though.

Tech has come on alot; understand alot of the regenerative energy from braking and stop start assists DPF gens on the latest vehicles and is v reliable.

interesting all the VAG DPF equipped cars ive had seem to go a bit better still whilst undertaking a regen!

Edited by pipsyp
  • Like 2

I had the Bluemotion Golf for a few months and it was a good car but I think the new Octavia is better, both for interior quality, tech and driving quality.

Sounds like a timing issue. It used to be called "pinking" in days gone by, caused by the ignition timing being too advanced. The noise used to appear under acceleration. Could the electronic ignition timing be too advanced when the engine is cold or am I barking up the wrong tree? It's a while since I did my own servicing, and never on a diesel!

Whatever it is, it doesn't sound normal to me, or something that will get better. Leave the car at your dealer overnight so that they can hear it when it's cold. It's worth it for peace of mind, if nothing else. "Pinking" did sometimes disappear if you put in a higher octane fuel, but I think it's clutching at straws with a diesel. Nobody else with a diesel seems to be reporting a similar noise, so get it checked out.

• 3 years later...

What is the solution to this topic ?
I have the same problem on my Superb TDI 2.0 (2011). Couple of days ago, when car is cold started, a metallic rattle sound appeared between 2200-3000rpm and a hesitation to accelerate.
No fault indication on vehicle's display. When car's engine warms up, this annoying rattle sound goes away.

On 8/22/2017 at 16:17, TTodorov said:

can you post a short video to see what is your complain about?

I don't thing a video will record that sound specially using my mobile phone. The metallic rattle is noticeable but can't record. I have a little suspicious that might be the quality of diesel I filled up, thus I will come back when my tank will be empty and refill from an other station.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I too just posted about such rattling noise from a 2.0 TDI 150. Car's almost new and I'm pretty sure it did not do it when I got it. I only use "premium" diesel on it and the MPG is very good (doing about 5l/100, or just over 56 mpg with normal everyday driving in and out of city, and around 4l/100 or 70 mpg if only out of city). Was wondering if a failing engine mount could cause this, as sometimes (not always though...) the car seems to shake excessively when igniting the engine.

On ‎14‎/‎03‎/‎2014 at 22:04, Kindon9 said:

I have done just under 600 miles and I have notice a metallic rattle coming from the engine when accelerating. It appears to happen when the engine is cold and only when accelerating, as soon as I take my foot off the gas it stops. Is anyone else having or had this issue and should I be worried and rush to the dealer or is it something and nothing.

I would go back to the dealer & ask them to check it especially as the car is new.

There were some issues with rattling fuel lines on the O3 so it could be something simple like an metal pipe not clipped firmly into place.

The engine vibration is generally greater when it is cold which is perhaps why you notice it more in these conditions.

For info, Pinking and Ingition timing are for petrol engines so not related to your diesel.

Supermarket vs expensive premium diesel fuel will not cause problems like this.

There is really little difference between the two, questionable long term benefits & its unlikely you would see a difference in such a short distance.

• 2 months later...

Well, my Superb 2.0 TDI keeps doing this rattling noise under acceleration (particularly going uphil in 2nd or 3rd), even after tryin a different diesel brand (though also not "regular" diesel, but the kind with additives). Since I had to take the car in to get the driver's window checked, as it also rattles on bad roads, I asked to get this checked too. We'll see what they say next week when I take it to the dealer...

Took the car to the dealer yesterday and when test driving it with the chief mechanic he immediately said that this engine rattle is from the injection system, when the car is under more load. Could be, but I'm pretty sure it wasen't there when I bought it... Let's see if it doesn't get any worse...