Mistaken Identity!

Tigger25

Received a letter today for impending prosecution for speeding on the A1 in Lincolnshire at 7PM

1. I have never driven on the A1 2. I was at work on the day in question until 5PM with 15 witnesses. 3. It would have taken me 3 hours to get there, which would be impossible.

I rang Lincolnshire Police, and they have asked me to send pics of my car, which I have done so including number plate, tax disc & work parking permit which discloses number plate. They told me on the phone their picture was not that clear. To say the least I''m a bit cheesed off they could make a big blunder. I would have got home from work at 5.30PM and my Dad can verify that. I didn't move out of the house all evening. My mobile phone has GPS, and goes everywhere with me. Can the police determine from my mobile where I was?

Wouldnt worry. Their mistake or at worst someone has cloned your car. You've sent photos etc, unlikely you'll hear anything else from them. It's now up to them to prove it's you if they wanted to go any further which is unlikely seeing as it wasn't actually you!

You need Lincolnshire police to send the photo they have of 'your car'. Someone might have cloned your number plate

• 2 weeks later...

If it had been an identical car, you'd be ****ed.

Seen it happen. Cant get the plate back, cant report it, cant sell the car. Just bend over and go to your happy place while paying everything from parking tickets, to congestion tax.

Lincolnshire Police rang me today, to confirm it was a case of mistaken identity, having looked at the photos of my car.

The important thing to clarify is whether it was a similar vehicle with a clone of your plate on it, or just a case of an imperfect picture that they misread. I suspect it's the latter or they would have sent someone round to look at your car, but it's worth getting in writing.

• Like 2

Glad its sorted but would echo the sentiment of others that you check whether its a mis-read or a clone. Had one of our wagon registrations cloned by a member of the Tipton caravan club and realised when we had an NIP for when our vehicle was proven stationary by tachograph. 

Thanks for all your replies. I have it in writing that the impending prosecution has been cancelled. They also rang me to say that the screw in the number plate was making it difficult to decipher one of the letters.

• Like 1