1.2 TSI or 1.6TDI, either/or?

Despite being an utter diesel nutt.

I would like to know the real world/mixed driving fuel consumption figures for the 2 Fabia options as above.

The 1.2TSI at £10,000.00/£11,000.00 with the 1.6TDI about £5,000.00 dearer, per a recent conversation in a local dealership.

Did give me serious cause to reconsider.

regards,

marcus

PS

I am reckoning on 45mpg again 55mpg, to keep it to round figures.

Edited by dieseldogg

My 1.6TDi Monte Tech Estate is averaging about 48mpg measured at the pump. It's done 2500 miles now. 35 mile daily commute a mix of 2/3 motorway and 1/3 A/B roads. I have had high 50s driving very 'efficiently' and being light footed.

Unless you intend to keep it until it falls apart don't forget to factor in the depreciation of both engine options as well as the initial cost to see which one is best for you.

Depends on who many miles you do. Diesel gets better mpg but is dearer to fill up with and the car costs quite a bit more to buy so unless you're doing mega miles then it won't be cost effective.

I get low to mid 40s with my TSI whereas my previous diesel Pug got mid to high 40s but the fuel was more expensive.

I do about 7000 mls a year so it's far cheaper for me to have the TSI plus, it's better to drive, smoother, quieter and no DPFs to worry about.

I had been driving diesels for the last 10-12 years so I'm not anti diesel, I just prefer the nippier drive of the TSI now.

• Like 3

It's not annual mileage that needs to be considered but the total mileage that will covered in the car.  I do 13K/year and usually keep a car for 6 years so a total of around 75-80K miles.  A friend does more than 20K/annum but changes his car every 18 months.  So which of us do you think would benefit most from the higher mpg and lower depreciation of a diesel over a petrol?

Thanks guys, all good stuff.

(i) The intention would be to buy new/ex Demo, and keep for 200,000 miles.

(ii) Sums would be based on that figure.

(iii) I fear the DPF's have emasculated current diesels, in respect of fuel consumption leastwise.

(iv) Having test driven the 1.2TSI after stepping out of a 1.9TDI, I too was astounded at how good it was too drive, i.e. how torquey. And in the Fabia it should be a marriage made in heaven.

Comes down to heart over head perhaps, or is it going to be head over heart.

thanks.

PS

I Had a look on the HJ site, the "real mpg's" bit

my 45mpg/55mpg for  1.2TSI/1.6TDI comparison appears to be spot on

marcus

• Like 1

If you are going to keep for 10 years or so,

Then consider  VED between the diesel and the petrol,

The Servicing.  Oil/Filter changes,  Fixed or Variable by the annual mileage.

For a Keeper that you want to do 200,000 miles, i would go for a Petrol personally.

Just thinking tax on diesel in the Future.

Mot's etc, DPF costs, but if doing enough miles, that might not be an issue.

But for VED now, then its maybe a diesel you want.

Swings and Roundabouts.

But do not pay the Dealer a Crazy price to buy a Diesel.

& get on a Ferry, go to Ayrshire/Ayr and maybe buy a Skoda & drive home saving money.

Cheaper there than in NI maybe.

http://driveingram.com

Or just be sure you are getting the best price you can if buying locally.

'Asking prices' do not mean you have to pay what they are asking,

if they are not getting it sold.

http://autotrader.co.uk

george

I have owned both the 1.2 Tsi (105) my current car, and a 1.9 Tdi PD. Both superb cars, I have had many diesels of different makes and just love the torque these engines give, but I think I would always go for the Tsi as,  since the first time I drove it I've been in LOVE :love:  :love:  :love:

Roomster is heavier and less aerodynamic than the Fabia but take a look at my Fuelly for consumption.

When considering buying a diesel I thought long and hard after seeing all the hype and hysteria on here about DPFs.  Asked a lass at work if she had any DPF problems with her Yeti Greenline 1.6TDi and another guy who's wife has an Audi A1 with the 1.6TDi.   "What's a DPF?" was the response from both!

Note that there is similar hype and hysteria around the cam chain tensioner on the 1.2 TSi.

Bear this stuff in mind but don't take it too seriously or you would never buy any car.

I have driven both 105bhp TDi and TSi in Roomsters.  The TSi is a very nice engine but it doesn't have the 40-60mph overtaking punch that the TDi has.

That is why I went diesel. 

To reply to various comments above.

(i) Not that bothered about the Skoda/VW 1.6TDI DPF installation.

Having over 50,000 on der Octavia, with quite a DPF unsuitable regime this past 12month.

(ii) I understood the latest 1.2TSI's had went back to a timing belt?.

(iii) Yes the slug of overtaking torque from the diesel is nice.

(iv) I will ABSOLUTLY not be paying over the odds, at 54  I have growed a thick skin, and indeed better negociating skills (larned off the Mrs.)

PS

I am currently buying at a sawmill Ex Germany, flying over Thursday to view and driving over to collect in May, all being well.

(Simply because we get well screwed in the uk re such sawmill pricing, aint the intersnot wonderful)

marcus

I have a TDI, my Dad a TSI.

I have got, lifetime average (from Jun 12 and for 18000 miles) about 50mpg. That's creeping up as my driving habits/journey profiles have changed massively. I was doing 2-300 miles a week, now I get that a month, with the average journey much longer.

Dad has had his a bit longer, a few more miles, but over the extra time, so less per annum. He is pretty keen to get near to govt mpg, but gets 40mpg normally and 48ish on a long run (Bristol to York or Bristol to Andover once a month).

I drove his and didn't like the feel compared to the diesel, but I'm used to the diesel now and I wasn't driving vining his estate like I do my hatch.

Hope that helps.

So still 10mpg adrift, 40 again 50 =25% fuel saving (but  petrol is cheaper I appreciate)

I am currently getting middle/high 40's jibbiling about in the 1.6TDi Octavia,

middle 50's easily on longer (25 mile plus) runs.

With high 50's on a summer Sunday run out.

Cheers

Marcus

Consider the cheaper price of petrol when working out your fuel cost. Also the petrol will warm up quicker and therefore get to optimum mpg quicker. Also to keep the dpf healthy you need to do some 10 to 15 mile journeys. Commuting a few miles each way is no good. I have a 1.6tdi but my next car will be a petrol because of my daily commute is not long enough for a dpf car. I wish I could change now but I cannot face the chopping in loss.

Interesting thread as I too am a diesel junky.  I've lost count of how many diesels I've owned now and I do love them ever since I had my first Golf GTi PD 150.  I had the PD engine in various VAG cars and wish they still made it.  Time moves on I guess.  As my mileage has dropped significantly in recent months since working from home I'm swapping to a petrol Fabia VRS next week.  I know the MPG will be shocking in comparison but at the moment I'm travelling 15 miles down the motorway for my grocery shopping every weekend to keep my DPF clear having had previous issues.  As already mentioned, with DPF's and the price of diesel at the pumps, let alone the additional price of diesel cars to buy, I think you have to be clocking up some decent mileage to buy one now.  I've also had experience of the 1.6 TDI in a Leon and wasn't that impressed, it was fairly sluggish I felt, although that is admittedly a heavier car, but I didn't like not having a 6th gear.  I can't say I've tried the 1.2 TSI in anything yet but it does seem to get some good feedback.

We had a 1.9PD Fabia and were looking at swapping to a 1.6CR TDi.

The 1.6CR is more refined but it doesn't have the bottom end pull of the 1.9TDi and for economy Skoda fitted the 1.6TDi with much taller gearing. Combining the taller gearing and more linear torque delivery we felt the 1.6CR lacked the sparkle of the 1.9PD and felt more sluggish especially at low rpm.

While we were there we tried the TSi and knew straight away that this was the model we wanted. Our Fabia mainly does short trips so having no DPF was a bonus.

That was a few years ago now but having since read how hard some 1.6CR owners have to work to get decent economy I'm convinced we made the right choice. Our Fabia only does 8k miles a year so the difference in economy between the tsi and tdi isn't an issue. We previously bought the 1.9tdi as we felt it was the best non vRS engine at the time. We bought the TSi for the same reason.

Cheers

Lee

Edited by logiclee
  • Like 2

Agree with above.

I used to have a 1.9TDI vrs and I was concerned about DPF and annual mileage. I went for a Monte TSI in the end. I later discovered that the Monte TDI has VERY tall gearing which wouldn't work for me in Shetland with its country roads and steep hills - 60mph and 1,750 rpm wouldn't work up here.

• Like 2