Turbo and Timing Chain fail on 1.2Tsi

CharlieB72

Further to my previous post, I am waiting for the garage to get back to me on a price but they have said I need the turbo and timing chain replaced. I am at a loss to work out how this has happened as, after googling, it seems turbo problems happen due to oil starvation or contamination. The Yeti is nearly 4. It has done 37000 miles. I have had it fully serviced and MOTed at my local Skoda garage since I bought it there new. Never any oil problems or oil lights on. No dashboard lights came up to say there was a problem. I noticed it sounded a bit like a diesel intermittently a couple of weeks ago and it went in for its service today. It went into safe mode last year and they said that was due to something failing on the turbo that was fixed for free as part of a recall anyway. No other issues.

Has anyone had any problems like me on 1.2tsi 2010 Yetis?

Charlie it might be worth approaching Skoda UK to see if you can get a goodwill payment towards repair costs .

Should say you have a good case if you have full service records.

I had a turbo blow on a 4 year old Audi A4 a few years ago , Audi gave me £600 as a goodwill gesture towards the total repair of £1200 at the time.

There might be a chance your Skoda dealer will put your case if your on good terms.

Certainly worth a try anyway.

Your post is disappointing and disconcerting.  And potentially pocket emptying too. Not what you'd hope to see at that mileage.

You'll return with updates, I'm sure.

As noted in the preceding post I  expect you'll ask the dealer to see if there are grounds for an approach to SUK to seek a goodwill contribution as the car has a full main dealer service record and it's just a year out of warranty - and the mileage is so moderate too..

And whilst it's of no help to you personally I am immediately reminded of the question of extended warranties. Presumably this would have been covered by such a thing (would be extremely unhappy if it wasn't!) yet there was a distinctly tepid response when the whole question of ED's was raised on here in the past.

I've arranged, and paid for, CSMA cover to commence when the 3 yr warranty expires next month and it cost me £144 (now £148.50).  Given the complexity and potential cost of repairs to this engine/transmission (I have DSG)...not to mention the diesels, which are probably worse, then surely it has to be worth while?

The detractors normally say they'd sooner keep the money in their pocket (or a specific savings account) and fund any repairs if they became required.  But is it worth taking a chance when we see instances such as this one.  We have to insure the car and wouldn't consider third party only on a car like this....we happily insure our house contents but rarely claim on it ....but we have a car stacked full of complex technology which could fail and cost us a fortune but rarely do we want to insure it for repairs such as this one.

Good luck with this one, Charlie,  hope to hear back with something positive.

Edited by oldstan
  • Like 2

I went to look at a '60' registered Yeti 1.2 dsg today, 35k on the clock and up for £12,500, I am thinking of chopping the Fabia in against it.

After reading the OP's thread I think I will leave it!

I went to look at a '60' registered Yeti 1.2 dsg today, 35k on the clock and up for £12,500, I am thinking of chopping the Fabia in against it.

After reading the OP's thread I think I will leave it!

I'm amazed they can ask that much for a second hand one with 35k on it.

Out here they were selling new ones for less as model run outs.

Sales have been poor and I seem to have got a bargain £16k 4x4.

Further to my previous post, I am waiting for the garage to get back to me on a price but they have said I need the turbo and timing chain replaced. I am at a loss to work out how this has happened as, after googling, it seems turbo problems happen due to oil starvation or contamination. The Yeti is nearly 4. It has done 37000 miles. I have had it fully serviced and MOTed at my local Skoda garage since I bought it there new. Never any oil problems or oil lights on. No dashboard lights came up to say there was a problem. I noticed it sounded a bit like a diesel intermittently a couple of weeks ago and it went in for its service today. It went into safe mode last year and they said that was due to something failing on the turbo that was fixed for free as part of a recall anyway. No other issues.

Has anyone had any problems like me on 1.2tsi 2010 Yetis?

Has your yeti already had a recall done for the chain and turbo ? Mine has already been done with the previous owner at about 25,000 miles. Mines done 41,000 miles now. It does rev and rattle slightly sometimes on start up.

Andy P - what recall? It had something fitted to the turbo last year but that was it. No mention of a timing chain recall!

There was a recall where a shim was replaced in the turbo (and a software update at the same time) ....both of which I was informed of by Skoda and were done at the time...and if you do a Google search or a forum search there is mention of chain replacement issues but I don't believe there was an 'across the board' replacement recall.  Certainly some broke and some were replaced before they broke.

Thanks oldstan. Yes mine just got the shim and software update done, after it went into safe mode. Interesting news about the timing chain though - I will search the forum. The garage have got the bill down considerably but will reply back when I pick the car up in a few days.

Early 1.2TSI's including our previous 2010 Fabia were subject to an ecu update and a shim being fitted to the turbo, as a result of a number of cars going into limp mode and displaying the engine management light.

Further a number of owners reported issues with rattling timing chains, although I don't know of any official campaign regard the chain issue which seemed much more isolated, although again our 2010 Fabia did noticeably rattle on cold start, whereas so far the replacement late 2012 model is much improved.

Also worth noting that according to the on-line parts book, the chain and a number of associated components including the tensioner were updated with new part numbers in late October 2011. Also looking a the engine parts overall, then there has been quite a number of part number changes making the current engines quite different to the earlier versions.

Oh forgot to say there have been 8 changes in turbo the last listed being Nov 2011, however this is possible due to differences between the outputs of 86 and 105, which I believe used the same part number of charger originally.

Hope you get it sorted,

TP

When our July 2011 1.2 was in at the dealers last year they commented on the noisy start up. They said that Skoda would authorise a replacement of the timing chain due to a known issue with them. The start up has been much improved since then.

We are replacing our car with my in-laws 1.2 Yeti soon which is a Novemver 2012 build. By the sounds of TP's post we should be ok.

The main reason I got rid after 3 years....too many incidents of going into limp mode, turbo problems,very rough diesel like sounds from engine and not just on start up.Too much oil being consumed.I simply could not risk looking after this 1.2 reg10 Yeti after expiration of warranty and bought a Qashqai last May.Not as immediately attractive as the Yeti but I hope it turns out far more reliable.

The previous owner of my yeti had in order, a new turbo then another new turbo with shim fitted then new timing chain and water pump. When I bought it in Dec 12 it had a years warranty with it. I've extended the warranty for another year just in case.

When our July 2011 1.2 was in at the dealers last year they commented on the noisy start up. They said that Skoda would authorise a replacement of the timing chain due to a known issue with them. The start up has been much improved since then.

We are replacing our car with my in-laws 1.2 Yeti soon which is a Novemver 2012 build. By the sounds of TP's post we should be ok.

Sprokutt. Do you ever get any noise at all now on start up ? A bit like oil not circulating straight away. Also my revs rise briefly for a second or two. I don't believe the rising revs have anything to do with the chain so maybe the very brief rough noise occasionally is nothing to do with the chain.

The timing chain problem is a known issue in 1.2 TSI engines that were produced in 2010/11. My 2010 Roomster (previous car) had rattle noise on start up after 20000 miles, and Skoda replaced the chain and the tensioner with no charge. I found an article in Autobild magazine which describe the issue (in German...), see the following link:

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/vw-ts...n-3393757.html

During 2012, VW introduced a modified version of the engine with a new design of the timing chain and new tensioners, so all engines from 2012 onward (I'm not sure about the exact date) are not expected to have this problem.

CharlieB72, considering this is a known issue (there is a TSB for that, but I don't have it unfortunately), and since you had fully service in Skoda dealer, I would expect that Skoda will fix the timing chain with no charge.

Edited by menir1

Sprokutt. Do you ever get any noise at all now on start up ? A bit like oil not circulating straight away. Also my revs rise briefly for a second or two. I don't believe the rising revs have anything to do with the chain so maybe the very brief rough noise occasionally is nothing to do with the chain.

No noise on start up at all now.

I haven't noticed any issue with the revs rising but I'll pay close attention tomorrow. Might try and video it and record the start up if that would help at all for a comparison.

"Honest John"  Daily Telegraph motoring correspondent says that all turbos should be "cooled down" at the end of a run by letting the engine idle for a minute or so.  Theory is, really hot engine, really hot turbo, switch off without idling and the oil in the turbo gets cooked (coked!).  Result short turbo life.  Seems to me particularly important at motorway service areas.  I don't see coming off a motorway and then driving a few miles on normal roads to be a problem.

tom

Sanqhar, the quote you brought from Daily Telegraph is relevant to old Turbo chargers. The turbo charger fitted with this engine (and the other TSI engines) doesn't require a special cooling process.

Edited by menir1

Hi Charlie B72.

My last Yeti a 2010 1.2Tsi had the timing chain tensioner and turbo shims replaced under a recall/warranty when I complained of the "start up rattle". It had 20K on the clock and was approx 19 months old.

Local dealer Victoria Garage at Maud were as usual excellent, it was done with no fuss. I now have a Greenline 2 (which is ace!) and would not go anywhere else for my servicing.

Good luck sorting it out but it is a well known issue with these engines.

• Like 1