Lowering. Comments please

Ok I'm going to go lower. It's a minefield out there, so many different products, and so many different views/reviews. I'm not looking to go hard and fast, just wanna go low and comfy :)

This is what I have decided to do. Please shout out if this is wrong, advise or just call me stupid!

I'm a 2009 estate 1.9tdi

Ok buy new standard Sachs front and rear shocks. New H&R lowering springs. New top mounts and new drop links. (Lemforder) New rear bumpstops.

That's it.

Yea nea or am I nuts? Total cost excluding fitting is around 480. I'm hoping this should keep me in comfort, I don't wanna go hard sport shocks and springs kit. Or SHOULD I as it won't make much difference?

Thanks guys.

Edited by Rutty555

I dont think you can get away from the fact that if your going to lower your car there is going to be some trade off in comfort especially if your car isnt a vrs. Have just fitted a B12 kit to my vrs and am very happy with it, the ride is slightly firmer but better damped and its lowered the car by 12mm front and rear which for me is perfect.It now looks like it should of when it left the factory. I think a matched set of springs and dampers is definitly the way to go.

• Like 1

I dont think you can get away from the fact that if your going to lower your car there is going to be some trade off in comfort especially if your car isnt a vrs. Have just fitted a B12 kit to my vrs and am very happy with it, the ride is slightly firmer but better damped and its lowered the car by 12mm front and rear which for me is perfect.It now looks like it should of when it left the factory. I think a matched set of springs and dampers is definitly the way to go.

Thanks pal, just the answer I was looking for. I suppose I knew the answer really.

Great job, thanks. Back to the drawing board! :)

as above, matched springs and dampers should give you a better result than trying to team up some aftermarket springs with dampers from another manufacturer.

ETA:  H&R do a "comfort" cup kit, aimed at giving your lower ride height but retaining stock ride quality.  Also, kw do a "street comfort" coilover kit - doesn't go particularly low but aimed again at ride quality.

• Like 1

Also don't forget koni , they also do a STR.T matched set , very reasonable price. Matched with either H&R or Eibach pro springs. They are more of an oem+ set up.  I have fitted ( the long way round ) Eibach pro springs and afterwards changing the dampers to koni str.t.  Had bought the fitted the springs on the original dampers after about a year needed new dampers.

If i had to do it again , would have gone for the koni matched set from the start. For me the plus points were they were none adjustable and gave enough clearance for most speed humps not to be a problem, along with a nice drop without compromising useablility. Better ride quality and better handling.

• Like 1