Gear selector linkage gaiter

Should there be a gaiter on the gear selector shaft? If so how does it locate? And do i need one if it is missing? (mine pictured below without a gaiter) Haynes shows some models with one, and some without, and some have a slightly diffrent selector linkage where it joins the gearbox selector shaft.

Also on mine there seens to be quite a bit of slop in the gear leaver/linkage and it some times can be difficult to engage 1st or 2nd gear, i think that is because of some play in the bush where the roll pin is, there is a very good thread in the techinical guides section which i will use, but there is no mention of a gaiter in there.

I was going to change the gearbox oil soon any way, thats why i brought this topic up, to mabey do all the gear related jobs at the same time, like the selector shaft oil seal, but as seen as it does not seem to be leaking i might just leave it alone.

Just to mention the car is a 1999 1.3 mpi felicia. Thanks in advance (sorry about large pic, it took me about an hour of messing around just to upload it)

DSC00342_zps2b0d4444.jpg

Yes, as stated there should be an oil seal and gaiter, in the above pic the seal is the smaller circular one on the right. But looking at the op's pic it looks like the oil seal is intact and properly in place.

Thanks for responces, I've just e-mailed bickerton skoda about avaliable parts.

Of cause rain is back again to halt any work on the car    :swear:  :rain:

Edited by R_U_AFA

Got E-mail back from bickerton skoda with some usefull info, but not quite what I wanted so E-mailed some other Dealers and got some usefull info from D M Keiths (although I had to trawl through this forum and the internet to find the part numbers needed)

Gear selector shaft Oil seal - part number 002301227B - £1.29

Selector Shaft Gaiter - part number  115292800 - £0.30

I don't know what p+p would be, but main skoda dealers is the only place I could find these parts.(I am guessing any VAG dealer might stock them)

I've also got a list of part numbers and prices for the bits needed to refurbish the gear lever/gear selector linkage/gear selector linkage steady rod, if wanted

Also on another point whilst doing research about this topic, i've discoverd that it looks like the 5th gear bolt has come loose in the gearbox (whines like a bus in 5th) so another job to do at the same time.

• Like 2

Gear selector shaft Oil seal - part number 002301227B - £1.29

Selector Shaft Gaiter - part number  115292800 - £0.30

I don't know what p+p would be, but main skoda dealers is the only place I could find these parts.(I am guessing any VAG dealer might stock them)

I've also got a list of part numbers and prices for the bits needed to refurbish the gear lever/gear selector linkage/gear selector linkage steady rod, if wanted

I'd be interested in the part numbers but mine's a diesel so I'm not sure everything is the same. I'll have to take a look and see how it compares to your photo.

Re uma1998's post - I took it to be that both the Fun and the SLXi are missing the gaiter but that only one of them leaks.

I mainly used this thread for the part numbers http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/104779-sloppy-gear-stick-felicia/?hl=%2Bsloppy+%2Bgear+%2Blinkage#entry3471616 and this technical guide http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/295468-felicia-gear-selectorlinkage-refurbishment/ both relate to diesel so should be quite accurate. 

So what I have done is copy paste the posts I think are relative, and add the prices I was quoted, all prices are from DM Keiths unless stated.

But to start off @ bickertons you can buy full selector shaft (which only is from the bottom of the gear stick shaft to where it joins the gearbox,which includes the UJ and end T-shaped joint) - part number  6U0711151A -Selector shaft  £40.86 @ Bickertons (DM Keiths could be cheaper? they seem to be anyway, I only Got 1 Quote for this part because I don't need a full Shaft)

These part numbers I got from the first topic:

Spring pin - this is the thing you need to knock out when taking off the linkage and needs to be renewed each time it is removed. Part number N10439701- £0.23
Nylon bushes - depending on which linkage your car has there are either 6 or 2 of these in the whole linkage, but I believe generally only the two at the bottom of the gearstick need replacing and if present the other 4 are more challenging to replace. Part number - 115518060 (only cost pennies) - £0.17
Bolt - the one which the bushes fit over. Part number N90790801 (when I ordered one of these from dealer I think it was special order and had to wait) - £3.43 (In stock @ DM Keiths
Rubber mounting (for steady rod). Part number 6U0711563A - £0.77
Spring sleeve for rubber mounting. Quantity 2. Part number 6U0711898- £0.53, for one

Parts probably worth replacing for the sake of it while you're there.

Selector shaft oil seal Part numbers - for 1.3 10.94 - 05.96, 002301227, for 1.3 06.96 - 06.97, 002301227B - £1.29
Selector shaft gaiter - for 1.3 10.94-05.96 (seems not to be used on other cars) - 115292800 - £0.30
Gaiter (bottom of gearstick) - 6U0711411 - £2.10
Sleeve (goes around the ball joint on gearstick) - 6U0711590 - £0.55
Seal (for sleeve above) Qty: 2 - part number, N90347001- £3.97, for one
Ring (fits above sleeve) part number - 6U0711238 - £0.74
Dust protection cover (fits between steady rod and car to stop muck getting in) - part number - 6U0711122 - £0.97

These parts are from the technical guide with updated prices, and the diffrence in price between my quotes.

6U0711893A - Sleeve (the t-shaped part that joins the universal joint to the gearbox selector shaft)- £6.58 @ Keiths - £7.90 Bickerton

N0137671 - Expanding Nut - £0.71 Keiths - £0.85 Bickerton

6U0711458 - Pin (This is the sleeve/bush inside the T-shaped joint) - £1.55 - This is the very part that has worn on my felicia, and of cause I'm having trouble over this part. Bickerton skoda say that this part is discontinued and a full gear change linkage has to be purchased (See above), but DM keiths say they are only out of stock. I'm going to phone keiths and see if they can still get one ordred. (I'll keep you updated)

N90043201 - Seal x2(these are the inner seals) - £0.64 Keiths - £0.77 Bickerton

N90362001 - O Ring x2 (outer) - £1.68 Keiths - £2.02 Bickerton

Universal Joint - 6U0711551 - £1.25 Keiths

Also here is a picture of the gearstick, gearlever, gearchange linkage, gear selector, with some other part numbers

tn3_zps7e99c6bb.jpg

• Like 1

pretty sure they dropped the gaitor in 96 and went to a flush fitting seal instead, the gaitor was made from a rubber that was not oil resistant and swelled up when it got oily lol.

I don't think I have ever seen a felly box that didn't have oil around the change rod, even after new seals etc so don't be too upset if it leaks again in a few months time, sometimes the shaft gets worn where the rollpin connects the linkage to it as well, an 8mm shank bolt thru there and tightened up will cure the play there.

• Like 1

Could have saved myself a lot of time, if i had found this webpage before I wrote my previous post.

All part numbers for latest gear change linkage, no prices though.

http://www.partsbase.org/vw/caddy-ca-eu-2000-caddy-pickup-71103-selector-mechanism-shifting-joint/#p-vw-6u0711458

Edited by R_U_AFA

Looks like felicia16v is correct, that would explain why some modles have a gaiter, and some don't. Would also explain the reason for the 2 diffrent gearbox oil seal types.

Think I am just being a car hypochondriac, and I'll try and live with a bit of slop in the gear lever (but I do think the shaft would look much neater with a gaiter) Could probably fit older type oil seal, and gaiter though...?

the leaks around the oil seal begin because there is no gaiter and dust, mud, rocks, etc end by destroying the seal quickly.

I changed the gaiter on my car after 15 years.

the new one has 11 months and going strong on our not so clean, salty, frozen roads..

• Like 1

But that doesn't explain the huge amount of seals and gaitors we changed under warranty when the fav,s were new. Mostly poor materials same as the cc boots that were not grease resistant lol

Think I am just being a car hypochondriac, and I'll try and live with a bit of slop in the gear lever

Mine's not too sloppy but aside from the leaking the rest of the mechanism clatters and rattles embarassingly on uneven roads.

• 3 weeks later...

To update this thread, today I retrofitted back to the older style selector shaft oil seal(the none flush fitting type) so I could fit a gaiter. Also changed gearbox / transmission oil at the same time.

I've decided not to sort out the play in the gear selector linkage yet, (it's quite a complicated job for me)allthough I was able to get all the parts for the job individually, including part 6U0711458 which had to be on back order.(I think skoda got it from TPS)

So here are some pictures I took, and details.

(As an extra a gearbox drain plug washer / seal was needed part number : N0138272 )

Here is the job finished (compare to my original picture)

SAM_0014_zps4ac2df5c.jpg

And the difference between seals:

My old flush fitting seal (fitted to models 96 onwards) in the middle part number : 002301227B. And the replacement seal i'm fitting (pre 96 type)(like the one in dohnjoe's picture) on the right : Part number : 002301227.

Notice length diffrence to allow gaiter to seat. Also what you can't see is that the flush fitting seal has a extra sealing lip, not making it hollow like the one in dohnjoe's pic. (re-quote this if somebody wants me to take a picture showing this)

There is also the gearbox oil in my best cooking pot in the background, :giggle:

SAM_0011_zpsaa792231.jpg

And type 002301227 fitted here, can see how it projects (compared to my original pic) to allow gaiter to locate

DSC00355_zps4299bae1.jpg

Also when fitting the gaiter I noticed that it had a hole in it, pressumably to let the air out when it's compressed. So I've put the hole facing the underbody,to keep out road dirt.

I hope these new parts are sound, ok, and last

I do have some other pictures that I took whilst I did the job, if anyone is intrested, but not many.

Edited by R_U_AFA
  • Like 1

very good photos.

I wish people show more often what and how they repaired on their car.

I am definitely interested in viewing all your Felicia-repair related photos, past and present.

This is the first job I've decided to document, (when I serviced the car I thought some of the things were too obvious to take pictures) so not too many more photos, but I will post them anyway (i'll try to put them is some sort of order)

Too keep on original topic:

Old flush fitting seal I removed, can see the extra sealing lip (was going to do a side by side comparison of seals, but had installed the new one allready)  

DSC00357_zps2710bd43.jpg

Heres the end of the gear linkage disconnected, can see the spring/roll pin that has to be drifted out. Also I've tied it up to stop any strain on the other end of the linkage

SAM_0013_zps2dff3593.jpg

Selector shaft oil seal seat, all cleaned up and ready for the seal (to press the seal in, I used a bolt that fit over the selector shaft that rested squarely on the seal's lip, I suppose a washer would also work, then a length of 22mm copper pipe,and a soft hammer to drive it in)

DSC00353_zps9db5bd5c.jpg

To help anyone wanting to change Gearbox oil / Transmission oil

Gearbox drain plug, gearbox sump plug location (the one that is half unscrewed, looks like Skoda had originally painted it yellow, a tiny bit of paint left on there) On refitting I torqued it up to 37Nm

SAM_0012_zps93e47015.jpg

Filling the gearbox through the speedometer cable appature. I used Triple QX 75W - 90 EP semi synthetic to spec GL-5, about 2.4 - 2.5 litres, to fill (funnel into gearbox then funnel to funnel)

DSC00354_zps9c38364f.jpg

This photo is totally unrelated, and a bit poor quality. It's my shiney new looking sump after I re-painted it (was rusty after being scraped a few times)

I suppose it shows the sump plug and oil filter locations though. Also coolent / anti-freeze drain plug is on pipe to the left, just out off shot

DSC00344_zps6f6a6b3c.jpg

So that's all my photos i've took, apart from the car it's self.

When I do some more work on the car i'll make sure to take plenty of pictures, and post the results (re-painting undershields at the moment, and thinking about doing some work on the brakes in the near future) but I loose internet on the 23 of April so might be missing for a while after then.

I like you ghetto axle stands too.

Ye, lol, also used upturned shovles to chock the rear wheels :)  Think they might be just visiable in the background of some photo's