Overtaking on a slip road

cjb

I generally overtake as many cars as possible on the slip, then undertake at minimum 3 lorries while still on the slip, join the main carriageway at the death, straight into lane 3 and hoon it all the way to my destination at 3 figure speeds.

Just kidding. I dont drive a 320d

• Like 4

Guest BigJase88

I generally overtake as many cars as possible on the slip, then undertake at minimum 3 lorries while still on the slip, join the main carriageway at the death, straight into lane 3 and hoon it all the way to my destination at 3 figure speeds.

Just kidding. I dont drive a 320d

I do :)

See nothing wrong with it . Driving one of the smaller cars, I can slow down to merge in a lot easier than speed up, so I can filter in to a gap in HGV at 70 or filter in to a gap in 40 anywhere traffic by slowing. Really gets my back up when forced up the slip at 40-50 by two idiots to try and jopin a group of 60 sh traffic. Not ideal, but I've on occasions used the hard shoulder to get some space to get to speed when following slow joiners.

@OP, possibly the other driver was considering moving right when you zoomed past. Hence causing consternation and fear/worry.

Perhaps, but no indicator, and his positioning didn't suggest so.

Not ideal, but I've on occasions used the hard shoulder to get some space to get to speed when following slow joiners.

I've done that with the aforementioned person that stops. I'd try to avoid it though.

Would this have been at Jct 1 by any chance? I overtake plenty of times on slip roads because, i've no reason why it would be, there are significant numbers of people who believe those dotted lines at the end are a stop command. There are a staggering number who reduce their speed the closer they get to the motorway or seek to rock up at less than half the speed of the passing traffic. There are two lanes, overtaking is absolutely acceptable. 

No, J4 as it happens, but I'm very familiar with J1.

• Like 1

I totally agree with the above, one of the things that annoy me are "sensible" people charging down the slip road and braking hard until there is a break in the traffic, where and if possible I always make good progress on the slip road, if visibility of on-coming traffic is available I then adjust speed and then accelerate into a slot. Other things that can be annoying are people that overtake or attempt to overtake traffic on a wide(ish) unmarked slip road, no markings mean only one lane, which bit about that is difficult to understand? If in these situation, you are stuck behind a muppet then it is just your bad luck, crap happens, take your turn. Now the other most extreme bad bit of slip road driving that annoys me is where city bypasses are and must get used by city idiots that are hardly ever out on open roads, they know the rules are, "eyes ahead and proceed until hit" - come to think of it, should city dwellers not get issued with restricted driving permits, might keep them out of the way - maybe a dayglo band painted horizontally round the car?

My closest slip road is M1 J25, this is one with traffic lights 2/3d's of the way down, when these are operating they just bunch up the traffic trying to join the motorway, also make it more difficult to reach the same speed as the motorway traffic before joining.