Overtaking on a slip road

cjb

Thought I'd chuck this one out for comment: do people overtake on slip roads, and do you consider it acceptable?

I'm a yes on both counts, but it seems others may disagree: last week, I'm sat at a traffic-light-contolled island on to the M5, in the NS lane, no exits to my left, the slip in front of me, and a Rover 200 to my right.

The lights change, rover cuts into NS lane of the slip (in front of me, but I was slower away from the lights, so no real problem), and trundles down it, accelerating slowly. The lane to my right is clear, so I boot it, overtaking him. This results in a *huge* display of flashing lights, horm, and waving, which I ignore. The lane markings had dissapeared as I came past, but it's wide, and still a good way from where you'd be merging.

My view here is:

1) I regularly overtake on the slip lane. Too many people attempt to join the motorway at 40, forcing NS lane trafic out, where joining at ~70 is painless and smooth.

2) There was *tons* of room. I had time after overtaking to see him waving, but still guage m-way traffic and join safely.

[shrug] I'm just thinking this is one of those people that doesn't like being passed.

Other opinions?

• Like 4

I'd agree with you on that account, similar junction near me isn't two lanes but is as wide as two lanes, (if that makes any sense) and again if I can get upto speed you can flow directly into the traffic rather then causing people to brake

I think generally, overtaking on a slip is a bad idea. If you're already in the right hand lane and travelling faster than the left hand traffic it's a different matter, but the issue I have with overtaking is that I see a lot of drivers ignore the hatchings and just move right to join the faster road, often without indicating and sometimes from the n/s lane. 

No matter how slow the car in front and my car's ability to get past, I wouldn't want to risk trying an overtake, just for them to 'manoeuvre, signal, mirror' and take me out. I'd much, much rather get safely onto the main road and then boot it past when I know it's clear and I'm sure they're staying put.

• Like 1

i have never understood the need to go so slowly up a slip road.

I do agree on this point. Drivers toddling onto the motorway at 40mph really wind me up. It's a lot more dangerous than getting up to speed on the slip - a practice I was taught on my Pass Plus course yeeeears ago.

You need to be joining at the speed of the traffic on the motorway so you would need to be doing 70 ish , if the guy in front is trying to join at a slower speed than the motorway that he's joining surely that's a risk of a massive accident so if you can clear him quick , carry on I say

Nothing wrong with it. Even if I'm the first car or the only car on the slip road I'll accelerate to 70 as quickly as I can and move into lane two (right hand lane) on the slip road, then join the motorway as this lane gives you the best view of the motorway prior to joining. That's how I was taught and it has stuck with me.

• Like 1

As long as I can do so whilst there is still a lane divider marking, very definitely. I can think of very few things that are much more dangerous than trying to join the running lanes at a speed below theirs'. I'll usually be doing 60ish in 4th, looking to accelerate, but able to get engine braking before I even reach the foot brake if necessary.

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with it. Even if I'm the first car or the only car on the slip road I'll accelerate to 70 as quickly as I can and move into lane two (right hand lane) on the slip road, then join the motorway as this lane gives you the best view of the motorway prior to joining. That's how I was taught and it has stuck with me.

Where were you taugh that? It's a serious question; I can see the logic but I've never encountered it before, not even from emergency services techniques.

Slip roads are to allow you to join or leave the main carriageway at a speed appropriate to the passing traffic. I almost always use the right hand lane on a slip road because many drivers are hesitant at the top of the slip road. One of the arguments against the 80 mph speed limit was that we would need longer slip roads as you should do your braking on the slip road not the main carriageway.

I get my speed up down the slip road, over take if I have to and as I'm going down the slip road I'm planning my move to join. Looking whats on the motorway. I build my speed up to tuck in front or tuck behind a car or wagon. I've already decided where I'm  joining, not making the traffic I'm merging into brake or speed up.

Another pet hate, people who will drive down a slip road onto a motorway with just me on it and end up making me move over for them. 

One of the arguments against the 80 mph speed limit was that we would need longer slip roads as you should do your braking on the slip road not the main carriageway.

Make brembos compulsory :D   

Where were you taugh that? It's a serious question; I can see the logic but I've never encountered it before, not even from emergency services techniques.

It's taught, or rather should be, to all police drivers. Don't know about fire or ambulance as they do a watered down version but that's what I was taught on my police driving courses.

You should join the motorway at the appropriate speed for the conditions.  Those are assessed by observation and planning.  If it's rammed like this morning on the M62, then 40 is appropriate. If it's empty....

Yarrp. What he said.

Another thing I have been known to do though not sure if its better or worse is to wait "travel slowly" at the bottom/top of a slip if someones doing the 40 mph join untill I can actually get a run at joining the motorway at the proper speed without having to stop for them.

I also have seen people treat the slip road end like a stop line :wall:

Though my real hate is people who decied that they need to be doing 30-40 mph before joining the off ramp, its dumb stupid and suicidally dangerous.

Its IMHO even more dangerous that the oh thats my exit lane 3 to slip while braking fully special.

It depends on the length of the slip road, the power of your car, and your confidence in completing the overtake.

For instance M18 J3 southbound is a ridiculously short slip which I never overtake on as it's too dangerous. Plus the dividing line runs out too soon and folk generally drift out into the offside lane too soon.

M1 J37 southbound is about 2 miles long and nice and wide on a straight road downhill, so plenty of overtaking opportunities there.

Too many folk overestimate the abilities of their car, and their own driving skill which often ends in disaster.

• Like 2