My First Proper Attempt

This is what i do.

1 - wet the car using hosepipe or whatever to loosen dirt

2 - use car shampoo to clean off dirt

3 - rinse again

4 - dry

5 - use autoglym cleanser to remove any bit of really stubborn dirt or previous chemicals

6 - tcut and small scratches and buff off

7 - polish (usually autoglym super resin or whatever i fancy on the day) and then buff off

8 - wax. (I usually use HD wax but wanting to use some of the poorboys products soon) leave for 15 mins then buff off

9 - check around

I appreciate this response and ChrisRs' clarification of a few points (e.g. I would be very nervous about using T-Cut). However, I fear that you may both assume greater knowledge than is possessed by a layman such as myself :(

I am interested in this because I want to keep any new car looking as pristine as possible. Would you (or ChrisRs) mind clarifying further or pointing me in the direction of a more detailed guide for someone who is completely new to all this? Specifically:

• Is it safe to use a pressure washer at stage 1 - loosening the dirt? (YES, see first post)
  • In what proportion do you mix the shampoo at stage 2 and how much of it? (See first post)
  • What do you use to dry the car at stage 4? Chamois?
  • What do you use to polish & buff at stage 7 & 8? (MF Mitts)

I have got to grips with the idea of "Micro Fibre Wash Mitts" - thank you Google - should one ONLY use these?

Do you ever use an Orbital Polisher at all?

I take it that ChrisRs' reference to APC is not an Armoured Personnel Carrier, what is it?

What wax do you use?

Finally, what is your view on getting any new car prepared with Autoglym's LifeShine - sensible, worthwhile investment or waste of money?

Edited . . . after rereading your original and later post together, a bit of Googling and some time on Detailing World, I think I have answered most of my questions . . . sorry. Still interested in people's opinions on Orbital Polishers & LifeShine?

Edited by vxh26
  • Like 1

Don't bother with lifeshine. It is often cheaper and much better done if taken to a professional detailer. The dealers staff may only spend about 30min applying it and it is unlikely to be done to a high standard. My brother used to be a technician at a main dealer a few years ago and he advised me never to get it - he used to laugh as it costs the dealer about £40 to buy the kit then some kid who can't be arsed slaps it on and the customer gets changed £300+ for the privilege........

• Like 2

Orbital Polishers or Dual Action Polishers are a safer alternative for beginners to polish a car with a machine rather than a Rotary machine which can damage paint if not used correctly (Heat build up mainly and more rapid cutting...pad and polish dependant)

APC is All purpose Cleaner

• Like 2

I appreciate this response and ChrisRs' clarification of a few points (e.g. I would be very nervous about using T-Cut). However, I fear that you may both assume greater knowledge than is possessed by a layman such as myself :(

I am interested in this because I want to keep any new car looking as pristine as possible. Would you (or ChrisRs) mind clarifying further or pointing me in the direction of a more detailed guide for someone who is completely new to all this? Specifically:

• Is it safe to use a pressure washer at stage 1 - loosening the dirt? (YES, see first post)
  • In what proportion do you mix the shampoo at stage 2 and how much of it? (See first post)
  • What do you use to dry the car at stage 4? Chamois?
  • What do you use to polish & buff at stage 7 & 8? (MF Mitts)
I have got to grips with the idea of "Micro Fibre Wash Mitts" - thank you Google - should one ONLY use these?

Do you ever use an Orbital Polisher at all?

I take it that ChrisRs' reference to APC is not an Armoured Personnel Carrier, what is it?

What wax do you use?

Finally, what is your view on getting any new car prepared with Autoglym's LifeShine - sensible, worthwhile investment or waste of money?

Edited . . . after rereading your original and later post together, a bit of Googling and some time on Detailing World, I think I have answered most of my questions . . . sorry. Still interested in people's opinions on Orbital Polishers & LifeShine?

I go through this in more detail later on if you like, as iv got work to do this morning haha.

But.

Yes loosening the dirt with a pressure washer is no problem. Infact its better because you can do the wheel arches while your at it and it will remove more of the dirt on the car

I dont use snow foam too often, but when i do it goes into an attachment on the jetwash (fits onto any karcher i think).

I use a bucket and sponge. The good old fashioned way haha.

I only use microfibres yes. Its the best thing for the job i find. Less chance of stratching the car to.

I dont use machine polish's myself. Never have done. Chris r may be able to educate me here. I dont know if id get a better result with one. My car is only a year old anyway, and has been waxed from new. So I'm not sure if id benefit from one tbh.

I personally use autoglym HD wax. It comes with the applicator pads and microfibre cloth supplied. The wax is the only one iv used to be honest, although i am eager to try more.

All the reviews iv read on the HD wax say how good it is, and isnt far off a class leading wax, easy to apply and super easy to buff off (just dont apply in direct sunlight. Its a pain to get off then haha). It just lasts around 3 or 4 months on the vehicle, where as other wax's can last longer.

Be aware though. HD wax is £45 and some other are rediculously expensive. My uncle bought some wax for his white scirroco for £250. It was good. But then he sold the car and bought a red GTI and is now stuck with the wax which can only be used in white haha.

Okay now iv got a boiler to fit haha

Edited by Otaylor38
  • Like 2

Nonsense a polished and protected car will stay looking much cleaner for longer, looks to me like every minute was well spent. Great photo after the Super resin polish, everybody should have a bottle of this in their garage.

Glad the wax was to your liking too.

All I might say is give the roof an extra spray of Sonax when you get chance, you can see the beading on the bonnet is much tighter than the roof. It might just need a little going over.

Those photos do not help the man crush I have on Monte Estates one bit though.

Strange you mention how good looking Monte estates are.  Last weekend when I went to see my VRS estate at the dealer there was one exactly the same as this parked up next to mine.  Both were waiting to be PDI'd.  I have to say in the flesh they really do look the business on the outside.  In all honesty it seemed to make my VRS look like the poor relation in comparison.  I do like the arch details and the extra lighting under the front bumper.  If I didn't want the extra bit of oomph I'd quite happily have purchased! :think:

Guys for anyone who read this and thought that they fancy giving the car a spruce up, or topping up their detailing kit.

There is a group buy on at the moment I ahve organised with Obsession Wax.

I just thought I would give everyone a chance to see this, with the Spy not working whilst the site is being worked on, people might not know it was there

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/310837-obsession-wax-group-buy/#entry3718299