Adding Bluetooth and Columbus to OctyII VRS DSG with MFSW

Afternoon chaps,

I'm considering a return to the VRS about two months after selling my Octy II VRS Limted Edition Hatch (bought Superb Estate for expanding family). I've had either Fabia/Octy VRS for about 10years and I'm just not feeling the love from the Superb, great car but it seems I'm not quite ready for my slippers and flat-cap just yet...

Anyway, I've now been completely spoiled by all the toys in my Superb Elegance and if I'm going back to OctyVRS I would be looking at a DSG with the Multifunction steering wheel - then upgrading its Bolero to Columbus and adding Bluetooth connectivity for pairing my phone. My question is related to the best way to do this upgrade and can I have them hooked into the Maxidot?

Any info would be appreciated :)

cheers

• Like 1

You can get the new 3C8035730D OEM modules with text readout and WiFi hotspot for less than £130 on eBay now, so going OEM is the best bet. This will integrate with the Maxidot (in fact it needs it) in a FL Octy and also the Columbus.  Looms can be had for less than £60, including the rSap antenna and the microphone (e.g. www.carsystems.pl), so if you can get a Columbus for about £400 (one sold on here for less than that recently), it can be done for £600 if you are half handy with a screwdriver.  You will need some coding to get it all functioning fully but a local member with VCDS can usually help with that (check out the map in the VCDS section).

Still if it were me, I'd be giving the Superb more time, but of course each to their own ....

yes you can have both columbus and phone displayed on the maxidot.

columbus retrofit is very easy, just plug in and it works (30 seconds of coding required/vcds to get it to display nav instructions on the maxidot but the unit will work fine without this).  bluetooth retrofit has been covered many times on the forum - if you search you'll find the relevant stuff (mods should we make this a sticky?  It comes up every week...)

for the bt stuff, buying the oe components and fitting yourself is the cheapest route.  fiscon kit gives you effectively the same functionalitiy as oem but comes as a kit, costs more than sourcing the oe parts but less hassle imo.

i have retro fitted columbus and fiscon bluetooth to my car - both great mods and not hard to do.

If your MFSW doesn't already have a phone button you want to factor in a new steering wheel to give full functionality.

Just a thought and not essential.

You could also go for a wheel with 'flappy paddles'...

or keep the superb, remap and suspension tweaks for a sleeper? 

considered this, but its about £400 with fitting for new springs and no guarantee that it will feel "right". Plus there are reports all over the place that anything more than 15mm lowering (standard on the Superb Greenline) causes the Superb's huge wheelbase to bottom out on even reasonable speedbumps, that's not taking into account the fact it is an estate and will be loaded a fair amount of time. Decent H&R springs lower by 40mm and the Eibach by 30mm - its just asking for trouble I think...

Remap is happening regardless of Superb/Octavia ;)

• Like 1

the DSG I'm looking at has the MFSW with flappy paddles and phone button on it, does that suggest it has the BT module?

Yes.

Why fit a MFSW with phone button if BT isn't fitted as standard?

Yes.

well to be fair, they put a phone button on the Bolero stereo regardless of BT being fitted, so I don't think its an unreasonable question to query whether it is standard for the MFSW. But thanks for the confirmation :)

considered this, but its about £400 with fitting for new springs and no guarantee that it will feel "right". Plus there are reports all over the place that anything more than 15mm lowering (standard on the Superb Greenline) causes the Superb's huge wheelbase to bottom out on even reasonable speedbumps, that's not taking into account the fact it is an estate and will be loaded a fair amount of time. Decent H&R springs lower by 40mm and the Eibach by 30mm - its just asking for trouble I think...

Remap is happening regardless of Superb/Octavia ;)

and.... changed my mind, test drove the Octy VRS DSG and I think I'll struggle to go back from the Superb now, don't get me wrong I had my VRS for years and loved it to bits - but I think having had the Superb for a few months I've been corrupted by the luxury :think:

I think the plan now is to chip/lower the Superb. Luxury Rocket ftw :rock:

• Like 1

Yes.

Mine had the phone button on the steering wheel but didn't come with BT as standard, I retrofitted BT the other week.

So I am afraid having the phone button on the steering wheel is definitely no indication that a BT module is fitted.

well to be fair, they put a phone button on the Bolero stereo regardless of BT being fitted, so I don't think its an unreasonable question to query whether it is standard for the MFSW. But thanks for the confirmation :)

Sorry. I wasn't trying to be funny. I've just never seen a car without factory BT come with a MFSW that had the phone button as standard.

I accept that the Columbus & Bolero do both have 'Phone' buttons and don't always come with BT.