Canton Adjustments

Back in the day I was into my car stereo and had a decent set up.  I remember there being a gain adjustment on the amp that could adjust the sound.

Is there anything like that on the amp on the Canton upgrade?  I already have the sub volume at +9 and the bass eq up as well.  I could just do with winding it up a little more (I'm not happy with the bass)

A week into Canton/Amundsen I can say I am a little disappointed. Despite messing with focus of the sound, going into the advanced settings in Canton. Ie Subwoofer levels, surround sound settings etc. It STILL does not sound as good as my old MKII Stream unit!! Which, seemed to be an incredibly sorted balance for an OEM system. The bass is muddy and the difference on the slider lever between min and max on the subwoofer is pretty narrow. I like defined bass, and could shake the door mirrors in my MK II Stream at insane volume levels without distortion. No chance with Canton, not even close.

I think that the Sub is too far away from the cabin. That might be the problem, which is pretty much un sortable without major surgery. I hope it improves. A lot!!

I don't think it helps that the sub aimed, either Straight at the plastic housing or at the outside of the car. When I got the car I thought the little grill at the bottom of the enclosure was for directing the bass out, but its just a fake grill, no actual holes. The bass just reverbs around between the body of the car and the boot lining, which can't be the most efficient method. It does make my left tail light vibrate like mad when I have radio on when washing my car!

Bass is non directional so it should not matter where the sub is pointing, It will sound the same regardless. The Canton system needs some time to bed in, a few members have reported that the sound quality improves over time as the speakers loosen up.

• Like 1

It sounds less bass-y the higher you set the Canton Surround setting as well, as the other speaker volumes are increased / adjusted for the surround effect, which can drown out some of the bass. For me its got to be a compromise between bass, which i like, and like to feel, and the surround effect, which i also like. I've gone for about 60%-ish i think. Still may tweek it a bit more though

What is the source? MP3 - at what bitrate? FLAC? Audio CD?

I have found that the Canton really does distinguish between a poor quality rip and a good quality - if the original audio CD you rip from is a poor quality digital conversion in the first place it really stands out on the Canton.

You need mp3 at 320kbps as a minimum, FLAC is better.

Try getting some good quality rips of some Prodigy (Firestarter, Breathe) tracks - you can feel the bass in your chest cavity on mine, and the bass is only at +7, Sub on full. Not my choice of music - just wanted to see how good the sub was!

I can certainly tell the difference between CD, Radio and differing levels of quality of MP3. My car is now a month old and has done 1500 miles and it's definitely better than it was when new.

I have an estate with the VBF which is normally folded up into a ridge and the cover is left open, so there's as little as possible to block the sound.

For anyone unhappy with the sound, what body style do you have, and can you give some examples of the music you listen to?
I find there isn't quite enough gain on some tracks to get the levels of bass I'd like, but on others it needs to come down a notch.