VRS lost power

Was driving to work this morning, engine was at warm temperature and needed to overtake so planted my foot but it juddered and stopped at the current speed more/less. Engine light came on as did the EPC (whatever that is) with a warning message on Maxidot saying Engine Failure! Pulled into the emergency lay-by switched it all off left it for a short while, turned it on and it was all fine. Any one know what caused it? I'm scared to put my foot down now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Concur , multiple misfire, and safe mode.... Reset by off/on... I take it u are using 99 fuel? Mileage ?

Ah so I reset I correctly then.  I don't always use 99fuel, only now and then, but I think I might have to use it more often now, as it does 'chug' now and again.  

Ah so I reset I correctly then.  I don't always use 99fuel, only now and then, but I think I might have to use it more often now, as it does 'chug' now and again.

Please say you don't use 95ron fuel? Pleeeeaaasse.... It needs 97 minimum

I'd rather park mine up than put 95 in.

There have been a few threads over the years with similar issues to yours. Pretty much all have that I have read have related back to using 95ron fuel. I really don't think these engines like being run on anything 97ron or below.

• Like 1

Ah okay fair does. Second time that's been asked and I will answer this time (forgot last time) it's on 43k due for service next month. Unsure if plugs have been changed. Are they easy to get to? Probably have a look at them this weekend give them a bit of a clean up.

The service schedule for the Plugs is to change at 40,000 miles, so thats now, not a clean up.

Some Plugs are gone before 20,000 miles and some are OK to near 40,000 miles,

you need to get replacements.

I bumped the 'Misfire after cold' thread,

it might be useful to you.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/291585-warning-on-spark-plugs-14-tsi-cave-vrs-check-the-spark-plugs

• Like 1

I don't think it helps that dealers seem to run them on 95 either and don't seem to mention when buying that the recommended fuel is 98, even though I think its on the fuel flap isn't it?  It was on my Ibiza anyway.  As mentioned in another thread I was offered a free tank of fuel on collection to sweeten my deal but they'd only put 95 in so I told them not to bother, which I think was a bit of a shock to them.  I think the fuel cards they have only allow them to buy 95.

the only time my car misfired was when i used shell nitro :/

did you buy your fuel from a different garage, maybe its old fuel, not all fuel is the same

some folk on here run it on 95 with zero issues as that's all they can buy so don't get hung up on it, it works fine but i do find i get a lot more mpg on 97 BP stuff so its worth paying the extra for if only to save visits to fill up

hopefully with new plugs you'll cure the issue anyway ;)

I definitely recommended running your car on 99 Ron fuel. I've had my VRS over 3 years now and run it on standard 95 Ron and 99 fuel for varying periods over the that time. I've been using Tesco Excellium for the last 2 months and seen some great results. Last fill yielded 460 miles from a maxed out tank doing a 45 mile round trip per day based on 75-80mph average speed.

Mine did this even on V-Power, that was a slightly stupid bootful from near cold though. It ran so rough I thought I'd broken it, but an ignition cycle resolved things. Not exclusively a fuel quality issue.

I don't think it helps that dealers seem to run them on 95 either and don't seem to mention when buying that the recommended fuel is 98, even though I think its on the fuel flap isn't it? It was on my Ibiza anyway. As mentioned in another thread I was offered a free tank of fuel on collection to sweeten my deal but they'd only put 95 in so I told them not to bother, which I think was a bit of a shock to them. I think the fuel cards they have only allow them to buy 95.

I was also offered this and also said no, just asked them to put a £10er in which was enough for me to get home and put the decent stuff in.

• Like 1

I definitely recommended running your car on 99 Ron fuel. I've had my VRS over 3 years now and run it on standard 95 Ron and 99 fuel for varying periods over the that time. I've been using Tesco Excellium for the last 2 months and seen some great results. Last fill yielded 460 miles from a maxed out tank doing a 45 mile round trip per day based on 75-80mph average speed.

Do you mean Tesco Momentum or Total Excellium? Excellium is not 98 RON only 97. Momentum is 99RON, so fine for the vRS.

• Like 1

What's the fuel parameters?  Is it 95 RON minimum, but 98 recommended, than I would read that as you CAN run on 95.  It won't give full beans, but you wouldn't expect it to die...

The EU Requires Type Approved EU cars to run on 95 ron fuel, and they will.

You have a 1390 CC 4 cylinder engine that can produce a minimum 180 ps according to the Manufacturers,

but no place does it say that i can find 180 ps on 95 Octane Petrol.

But lets guess thats what it is capable of.

Well the 1390 cc engine prefers 98 RON or better as the Engine Designers and Engineers Recommend it to run on.

It is not the only engine around that is best run on Super Unleaded, 

and Super Unleaded better (higher octane) than the UK Minimum, which is 97 RON.

Vokswagen seem capable of making their recommendation very clear for Golf GTI and R Drivers,

strange that VAG are not so clear on the 4 of their brands selling the Twinchargers,

http://volkswagen.co.uk/need-help/owners/Fuel

So they do not talk about using 95 ron and the possible 'Reduced Performance'.

They recommend the GTI/R drivers use 98 ron to get better fuel consumption.

Although I took this morning (after filling up with the good stuff from Tesco)

2araqe5y.jpg

My EPC & EML came on again this morning on the way to work, so as soon as I got to work I phoned RAC and 10minutes later they arrived and did a diagnostics test and came up with a coil pack gone was only running on 3 cylinders so bloke got brand new one from his fan and £37.99 later my car is running sweet again. So ha sod all to do with what petrol I put in.

• Like 1

Lucky you.

So sod all to do with the petrol for you.

So now are you having the Spark Plugs changed?

Did the RAC man whip them out and have a look see?

Coil, Plugs, Spark, Fuel, Air, compressed, all makes cars run, or not run correctly.

Yeah I did Sparkly makes it easy for other people to rectify if they had the same problem. ;)

I'm due a service quite soon so will be telling them to change it and I will be checking.  Where are the spark plugs situated?

RAC Man didn't check anything else just straight to that.  TBH i didn't even think about it, just wanted this doing.   

Yeah I know matey so tbh I got off lightly (easy fix) this time round.

Take it easy until your plugs are checked/Replaced since they are past the Service Schedule replacement

@ 43,000 miles., 

because if you are on full bore driving hard with Turbo Spinning and you get a Series of Misfire or it goes off cylinder 3 you might find it requires more than put on the diagnostics.

• Like 1