Polo Oil Consumption...

muckingfuppet

Dealer started finally looking at it after they got a kick up the arse from VW UK about it, waiting to hear back now. VW Finance also gave me a "goodwill" gesture of £75 to cover to cost of insuring the courtesy car for the time being. 

So currently what is the Master Tec being allowed to do( dealer and or VWUK) and what is his proposed plan with his end goal / conclusion?

Considering it has strayed from the 2nd Oil Consumption test process ,which if it had failed, would have resulted in a new engine replacement programme outlined in the VAG / Skoda process with this engine fault.. 

Dealer started finally looking at it after they got a kick up the arse from VW UK about it, waiting to hear back now. VW Finance also gave me a "goodwill" gesture of £75 to cover to cost of insuring the courtesy car for the time being. 

Apologies for butting in, and for not reading posts that are on next page yet.

We've just had an engine change done at a Skoda dealership. Our courtesy car was arranged through Skoda replacement vehicles, but the email and telephone identifier for Amy that handled our courtesy car came straight from VW. And we paid nothing for the courtesy car, and nothing for the insurance as they added us to their insurance for the vehicle at their cost. All we had to do was supply copies of our driving licence.

In my opinion, this is what VW ought to be doing for you as well. You shouldn't need a goodwill gift of £75 to help cover cost of insurance because, as I've shown above, they actually bore the entire cost other than fuel for me. You should be treated the same.

• Like 1

my dealer was going to charge me an admin fee for their car whilst they had mine in, i then asked them were i was to send the invoice for the use of MY vehicle and fuel whilst they tested it was ok, at which point they said ok just take it

• Like 3

Just had a phonecall from the dealership that is working on the car, they have finally stripped it down and determined there was in fact extra damage inside (shock). I asked what and was told (nervously) it was the piston that had gone, so my guess would be the electrode punched its way through the crown. They are waiting at the moment for the warranty provider to determine whether it is more economical to replace the engine or rebuild it.

Just had a phonecall from the dealership that is working on the car, they have finally stripped it down and determined there was in fact extra damage inside (shock). I asked what and was told (nervously) it was the piston that had gone, so my guess would be the electrode punched its way through the crown. They are waiting at the moment for the warranty provider to determine whether it is more economical to replace the engine or rebuild it.

No it's a new engine at VW expense-fullstop!!!!

What the F....... is this dealer doing??????

You now have to shake the tree at VW UK CS,this has got to be a ridiculous situation for you and they should appreciate this.

The Master Tech is also on another planet.

How much has the strip down and inspection cost so far?

New engines ordered and installation, all sorted by Skoda/dealer in about 6 weeks at a cost of £4500 approx. Couple of cases over the last few months.

Sittingbull can give you more recent details.

So why are the parent company so CRAP!!

Edited by vrskeith

I have been talking to a SEAT Master Technician this morning, he was a VW Main Dealership Master Tech and VW Factory Trained.

He Says.

You bought a Car,  it has a Warranty, 

You found a problem or possible problem on a car, a VW Polo GTI 1.4 TSI 132 kW CAVE engine car with known possible issues.

It had a Consumption test and failed, 

& was deemed to be requiring a Breather Pipe / Valve Modification & a ECU Update.

At this point the VW Dealership & Technician very likely failed to check the 4 Spark plugs in your car,

even though it is known be VW & VW Technicians that Spark Plugs can be failing long before the 40,000 mile service schedule.

So,

The Dealership workshop along with VW Failed if they do not make certain all 4 spark plugs are serviceable when putting the Car out 

after the Breather Mod and ECU update.

But,

Very few are checking, and many have failed.

george

• Like 1

That makes for a good bit of ammunition. Thing is, when I bought it I had a service plan thrown in and it had a 40k service done about a month after I bought it, all stamped up in the book so it should have had the plugs done. Interesting to see what comes of this though.

• Like 1

Spark plugs were a 40,000 mile schedule service item. So yes if not changed should be checked. But as a warranty check on a engine for high oil consumption that was given a breather mod and ecu update should have the plugs checked, as has been proven by the destroyed engine. Blame with the workshop possibly. And the manufacturer for no guidelines.

• Like 1

So the upshot is I'm getting a new engine. A direct like for like replacement, because the failure was a spark plug that put through a piston, and wasn't an oil related failure apparently I don't qualify for an updated engine. Now pursuing with the route of rejecting the vehicle through the dealer and trading standards.

So the upshot is I'm getting a new engine. A direct like for like replacement, because the failure was a spark plug that put through a piston, and wasn't an oil related failure apparently I don't qualify for an updated engine. Now pursuing with the route of rejecting the vehicle through the dealer and trading standards.

Is this in writing from VW UK CS or verbally from the dealer.

So does this mean that VW have a stock of CAVE spec engines, when we all know that  a very high proportion of this spec are oil burners. Madness!

Think that your case is one of the worst I've ever read.

Can't believe that VW treats it's customer so badly, at least Skoda bite the bullet and get on with trying to keep the Customers  reasonably happy.

Next they will be asking you to pay for the labour!

So I guess that you won't be buying another VW for quite sometime.

Best of luck.

They are talking nonsense. If you were getting a like for like or are,then it is a brand new CAVE which they either still build or have in stock. If your original engine wad not an oil user. It would not have needed the breather and ecu mod. You could get an independent expert report done if rejecting. Vw will love that.

• Like 1

I wonder if they mean it's the recon CAVE ENGINE with CTHE spec components installed . 

If so, then that is what the majority of Skoda owners have been receiving recently, with a 1 year warranty.

Edited by vrskeith

That was verbally on the phone, and I asked which engine, she had to go away and call me back. Was told an exact like for like swap, so I'm thinking it'll be a CAVE engine. Had an email from the Nuneaton dealership today in response to my request for a letter of deadlock. The upshot from them is that he is disputing the fact that it was not of merchantable quality at the time of purchase, and at best is going to offer to purchase the vehicle off me at trade market rate. This works out at around £7800 going on a rough quote from webuyanycar.com. I am getting on the phone to citizens advice again tomorrow to start proceedings with trading standards and try to force the refund out of it.

You are not selling a car to wbac who then sell it to dealers. It is a dealer taking it. But who is paying for the work. A warranty underwriter or vw. Because the dealership insurance should. If it was not a faulty engine then their workshop made sure it became one. You need legal advice.

I only did a quote with them to get a ballpark of what I would be offered in sale for the vehicle is all. A warranty underwriter, apparently Mondial, underwrite the approved warranties for VW, as I said I'm going to citizens advice tomorrow to start the ball rolling. Unfortunately on my pennies, paying for a solicitor wouldn't be viable. So trading standards and financial ombudsman it is.

Does the offer of engine replacement (£4500) by VW or dealer have the effect of weakening your case for the full refund.

Albeit it has been like pulling hens teeth to get anything out of VW CS or the dealer.

The dealer must have taken the stripping cost on the chin - what a waste of time /cost and a generator of stress and frustration.

You might think about entering a GOODWILL claim via VW UKCS. to help offset the crap etc. you have been through. 

Edited by vrskeith

No it doesn't. Basically because the fault appeared within 6 months of purchase, the onus falls on the dealer to prove that it wasnt underlying at the point of purchase. Regardless of any warranty, if you are sold a product that is faulty at the point of sale then the dealer is in breach of contract under consumer law which obligates them to offer a refund if demanded. This particular dealer is trying to refute that it was faulty, but hasn't been able to prove it so far, so I am taking the case to trading standards and citizens advice tomorrow to start legal action against them.

Not sure what the standard warranty is that people have been given with their replacement engines, I have been told by the repairing dealership this morning after I phoned them that I will be given a 2 year/unlimited mileage warranty on the components that are being changed. I asked if anybody had checked the exhaust system and cat, my concern being that as a spark plug has disintegrated and gone through the engine, and that bits of piston had also flown about that shrapnel had gone back through and damaged the cat. The service advisor said she would ask someone to look into it.... Nice to know that they are covering all the bases...

Who is paying for the work?  The Garage has a major responsibility.  

If a Warranty Company are buying a Replacement Engine from VW, 

then that has a 2 Year Warranty.

If VW are Paying, then  you need to get some agreement in writing on what the Package is.

'they' (the DEalership)  did a Breather Mod & ECU Update,  VW were paying for that.

Unless the Dealership did.

No they are not covering all the bases.

They are taking the Pith. 

Unless you are getting a New Replacement Base Engine,

they are throwing money at an engine that was failing.

That should have had the Spark Plugs changed at 40,000 or sooner, and at least been checked.

But the Service Schedule/  Guidelines is 40,000 miles.

* YOU HAD A SERVICE PLAN,

??? WHY WERE THE SPARK PLUGS NOT REPLACED AT THE 40,000 MILE

SERVICE? *  THAT IS AN IMPORTANT CONSIDERATION IN THE FINAL FAILURE OF YOUR ENGINE.*

You can not trust the Technicians that worked on your car to Rebuild a 1.4 TSI CAVE.

or to Replace the New Supplied Unit.

The original engine already had high oil consumption, you had Warranty Work started on it,

The Dealership messed up.

Get a Solicitor.

A proper qualified one.

Edited by goneoffSKi

Not sure what the standard warranty is that people have been given with their replacement engines, I have been told by the repairing dealership this morning after I phoned them that I will be given a 2 year/unlimited mileage warranty on the components that are being changed. I asked if anybody had checked the exhaust system and cat, my concern being that as a spark plug has disintegrated and gone through the engine, and that bits of piston had also flown about that shrapnel had gone back through and damaged the cat. The service advisor said she would ask someone to look into it.... Nice to know that they are covering all the bases...

Sorry, not been on for a few days due to being on holiday and finally being able to enjoy the Vrs as it was intended to be! Hurrah!

The engine I was supplied with as a replacement is a factory remanufactured CAVE engine with upgraded CTHE components, but in all senses it is as new condition. Plugs, all filters, new oil and coolant and new belts were all done as well, and the cat was checked for damage, and of course new timing chain comes with engine in any case. I'm told the cost of replacement under warranty came in at a shade over £4500, the cost of which was borne by Skoda UK/ Warranty company. The dealer claim was for £58 per hour labour plus vat, the max allowed under the terms of the deal. Dealer allocated 15 hours for work with the caveat that it could take longer depending on how the job goes. The dealer also got a 4% commission on the engine, so it's worthwhile for them. We only had one consumption test, but it too was paid for by Skoda, as were the courtesy cars provided while that test was ongoing, and indeed while they had the car in to carry out the engine change.

I'm a bit wary of placing too much information on record as I know the forum is frequented by Skoda and our case hasn't yet reached a negotiated conclusion in terms of warranty and any goodwill. At the moment, I've been told the new engine comes with a 2 years parts warranty, with 12 months labour as well. I am querying/ challenging this as I believe the labour needs to extend to the same length of warranty as the parts warranty does, after all if they don't have the confidence to offer such a warranty why should I have confidence in the car? The revised warranty takes effect from the actual date of engine change according to Skoda UK.

Having said all that, and having read through your posts, I would be very wary of the competence of the garage in question to complete the required work successfully, and without further annoyance to you.

Try to keep a written record of all correspondence and telephone conversations between you, VW and the dealer. Be wary of trusting any of them getting it right on your behalf, VW have a long arm when it comes to suppressing information that would humiliate them publicly. 

All the best

• 2 weeks later...

Any further progress for you?

• 2 weeks later...

muckingfuppet,

Anything happened of late.

Edited by vrskeith

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

muckingfuppet,

Any update or progress to resolve- VW Dealer performance / VW UK CS?

All gone very quite with you over the last few months.

Have you had a private result or are you still fight the seemingly loosing battle.