Polo Oil Consumption...

muckingfuppet

Rubbish. The VWR kit or the ITG Maxogen (same as VWR) that I run has no effect. Mine uses oil and the rate has not changed since fitting the induction kit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

I know, but I was speaking to the service bloke and before they can do any bottom end rebuild or engine transplant they have to show they are following the "low cost solutions" first. I'm reasonably confident this will be resolved to a high standard as the service manager apparently had the same issue on a 13 plate Polo GTi that resulted in an engine change. Also might be worth noting to anyone running a Golf with the 2.0 TSi/TFSi engine that apparently these are also reporting the same issues. 

As I said before, I cannot see in anyway how the addition of an induction kit would affect oil consumption in any way, as it has literally no effect or influence on that part of the system. 

On a side note (appealing to any techy types out there) does anybody know the material that the cylinder liners are made of?

Bottom end Rebuilds or Short Units is a nonesense the Skoda vRS Replacement Engine comes from the factory

and is a Re-manufactured engine.

It is the VW Group, and it is SKODA, AUDI, SEAT, VW with the same 1.4 TSI 132 - 136 kW engine.

Forget the 2.0 TSI or the likes.

If it is a MK6 with a 1.4 TSI then that is relevant.

In the UK there are around 2,600 vRS, 1,200 Polo GTI, 1,200 Seat Cupra, & 500 A1 185 ps

1.4 TSI 180-185 ps Twinchargers with DSG.

THE VW GROUP KNOW THE PERCENTAGE THAT HAVE FAILED IN 3 YEARS,

AND HOW MANY ARE NOW FAILING.

Volkswagen know exactly what the issues are with the 1.4 TSI 2009-2012

Just talk to Volkswagen Customer Services,

Dealers do the Consumption Test and the report.

The waste of Money Low Cost Option, is the Breather Pipe/Valve Mod and ECU Update.

After that fails, it is a replacement engine,

Do not even consider accepting mention of an Engine Rebuild by a Dealership Workshop.

Can you show the Test Results you got here, (or PM them to me please if you want)

just to see if they are even the correct weight for the oil used during the test?

• 1 month later...

I know, but I was speaking to the service bloke and before they can do any bottom end rebuild or engine transplant they have to show they are following the "low cost solutions" first. I'm reasonably confident this will be resolved to a high standard as the service manager apparently had the same issue on a 13 plate Polo GTi that resulted in an engine change. Also might be worth noting to anyone running a Golf with the 2.0 TSi/TFSi engine that apparently these are also reporting the same issues. 

As I said before, I cannot see in anyway how the addition of an induction kit would affect oil consumption in any way, as it has literally no effect or influence on that part of the system. 

On a side note (appealing to any techy types out there) does anybody know the material that the cylinder liners are made of?

WHAT IS THE LATEST STATUS OF THE POLO GTI oil burner?

Only you seem to have gone quiet of late?

<snip>

As I said before, I cannot see in anyway how the addition of an induction kit would affect oil consumption

<snip>

Surely the whole point of an induction kit is to increase the flow of air (and thus fuel) entering the engine?  This is going to increase pressures inside the combustion chamber / supercharger / turbocharger and inevitably to increase oil consumption?

Surely the whole point of an induction kit is to increase the flow of air (and thus fuel) entering the engine? This is going to increase pressures inside the combustion chamber / supercharger / turbocharger and inevitably to increase oil consumption?

I fitted an induction kit and noticed no increase in oil consumption or fuel consumption.

• Like 1

Come then, tell us why what you have said should result in the engine using more oil,

or any oil?

I don't know; which is why I used question marks.

Clearly VAG consider that there is a possibility that some of their engines will "use" oil (up to ½ litre per 1,000 kilometres) and by all accounts the supercharged and turbocharged 1.4 litre petrol engine does occasionally use a surprising quantity of oil. It doesn't seem wholly implausible that further tuning an already highly tuned engine might increase that oil usage - or does it?

I fitted an induction kit and noticed no increase in oil consumption or fuel consumption.

I'm sure that you will have heard the saying that "One swallow does not a summer make"?

It seems VERY odd that fitting an induction kit doesn't increase petrol consumption; perhaps it makes no difference to anything at all other than your bank balance . . . and engine noise?

It would be interesting to know how many of the cars that have had excessive oil consumption problems have been tuned - and/or driven as if they had been stolen?

Can we stick to the thread , as I was trying to find out how muckingfuppet had got on with his VW dealer and if he is treated differently to the Skoda members in sorting his problem out.

Unfortunately he seems to have gone away and we are learning nothing from his experience.

Sorry,

but just to say to 'vxh26',

A small point, fitting an Induction Kit and having an Efficient use of Air/Fuel. or a Remap does not mean that a driver on UK roads might even use half the vehicles available power.

Or use anything like the available output on any regular basis.

There might be more mid and top end available, but there can be better everyday performance and greater economy.

Tuning does not necessarily mean people Speeding or breaking NSL's,

or using more Petrol, Diesel or OIl.

It does not have to mean the early demise of an engine.

Maybe look at VWG & Skoda Owners Manuals. 

the 0.5 litre /1000 km Oil use possible figures comes from before there were 1.4 TSI Twinchargers in Fabias.

They use the figure from 44kw Engines up, 3 & 4 cylinder & Petrol & Diesel.

You seem like the VWG / Skoda, not able to accept there was a Design, Component, Manufacturing Quality Control. & Engine Management problems with a high number of the Engines.

This had them Revise the Engines.

Now the VWG/Skoda have never to my knowledge said publically that they are at fault.

It is just dismissed as it is with you as one of those things.

If Dealers were more able to listen, and report to Skoda Owners concerns and issues and experiences,

then things would be resolved quicker.

Skoda UK know of the 1800 Fabia vRS CAVE & 1000 CTHE have required Warranty Work.

If they just were open on that,

things would be simple.

But they are not inclined to open themselves to Legal Actions by admitting Failures.

There are a few Briskoda Members that took CAVE Engines to Stage 1 that had failures,

there are a number that have done it, and had not issues. Yet.

** High Oil usage, plugs and valve and ring failures with a 1.4 TSI Twincharger does not seem to be an issue with standard engines used hard,

using 99 Ron Tesco Momentum. doing longer runs and keeping near to the 3.6 litre oil quantity in the engine seems to reduce possible failures.

Short town and city journeys, engine & Cat never being up to temperature on each trip,

using 95 ron or Shell V-Power Nitro 99 does seem to cause issues.**

But that is just my personal observations from 3 Years of interest in 1.4 TSI Twinchargers.

I don't know; which is why I used question marks.

Clearly VAG consider that there is a possibility that some of their engines will "use" oil (up to ½ litre per 1,000 kilometres) and by all accounts the supercharged and turbocharged 1.4 litre petrol engine does occasionally use a surprising quantity of oil. It doesn't seem wholly implausible that further tuning an already highly tuned engine might increase that oil usage - or does it?

I'm sure that you will have heard the saying that "One swallow does not a summer make"?

It seems VERY odd that fitting an induction kit doesn't increase petrol consumption; perhaps it makes no difference to anything at all other than your bank balance . . . and engine noise?

It would be interesting to know how many of the cars that have had excessive oil consumption problems have been tuned - and/or driven as if they had been stolen?

A tuned car and a car that is driven like it is stolen are two different things.

My car is tuned but I drive it with respect and mechanical sympathy.

Likewise I understand that because it hasn't affected my car, it does not mean it can be said for others.

• Like 1

I've PM'd muckingmuppet twice over the last few weeks but as yet no reply.

Seems that he has gone to ground or has he been paid off by someone / or just sorted effectively by VW.

Who knows-well only muckingfuppet.

Shame that his story is not completed on here, especially after openly using the members knowledge and experiences, which always add to this websites offering.

• 2 months later...

Holy Thread Revival Batman!

Ladies and Gents,

Apologies for the long delay, I have been out of the country with work, specifically on Exercise in canada since the start of May. The latest on the troublesome GTi..

So after having run the 600 mile check, I was told oil consumption was excessive. The service bloke there was quite junior and didn't really explain it too well, but what he examined as having an air filter change is actually complete tonk, and is actually the breather mod. The reason for needing the stock airbox is that apparently this doesn't fit with the VWR induction kit. This is also horse **** as I have since refitted the induction kit with no problems. I am now in the process of redoing my 600 miles so that it can be checked. Aside from the engine feeling slightly sharper in it's response (weirdly), the car is still burning oil. Accelerating in a higher gear from low revs, or accelerating hard from slow speeds, indeed any situation putting the engine under load seems to leave a cloud of blue-grey smoke behind. So back to the dealer it will go after the 600 miles and I anticipate it failing yet again. I will update I'm due course....

In response to vxh26, the induction kit will have no bearing on oil consumption. It has a crankcase breather connected to the filter side to burn off left over fuel vapours and keep the crank clear. As for your argument about increasing chamber pressure and oil consumption this is also a nonsense, the oil is sprayed from underneath the piston. In a good working running engine, the piston rings bearing on the cylinder liner should 'scrape' the oil back down to the sump, and in a good working engine should allow no passage of oil into the combustion chamber. Incidentally the increase in cylinder pressure with fitting an induction kit will be marginal at best, it would simply increase the cylinders VE. A slight increase in pressure would occur, but this should in theory prevent more oil ingress into the combustion chamber in the same way that over pressurising a room can stop a leak.

Skoda UK know of the 1800 Fabia vRS CAVE & 1000 CTHE have required Warranty Work.

If they just were open on that,

things would be simple.

Hi goneoffSKI

We've only just bought on of these used and I'm now driving it instead of my wife as I have a 15 mile commute to work and from the info on this site it seems that will be better for it than the mostly town driving my wife does.  

Are the numbers you quoted above all for warranty work on excessive oil consumption?  If it is that's shocking.  

cheers

It is shocking, 

& why the CTHE Engine changes came in late 2012, component and engine management changes. 

A few early CTHE had problems just the same as the CAVE, but have been pretty good since.

Only now Spark Plugs are becoming an issue with CTHE Engines, but Skoda / VW have not revised the Service schedule on the Spark Plugs,

reducing it from 40,000 miles.

So there may be more have issues.

http://revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

My car is due a service in November and I'm going to ask for the spark plugs to be changed as a precaution.  

I'm really enjoying the vRS but after reading all the problems suffered on this group we made a decision that I'd drive it as I'm a bit more mechanically sympathetic and I'll keep a very close eye on it.  

The wife needed to get an auto though so we got her a 6 month old little Suzuki that should hopefully behave like any other appliance, unexciting but shouldn't give any nasty shocks.  And when she's out of town she can drive the vRS and get her grins then..................if she can prise the keys off me:-)

• Like 1

The vRS will get the best of care and spanner work but we don't have access to super unleaded except on the trips south sadly.   But don't worry, it's acceleration will be used.  I went to work on Thursday and arrived with a smile on my face from the commute for the 1st time since I had my Mk1 vRS:-)  Anything that threw itself in my way was passed and a decent average speed was kept up.

It's strange, but when going south a colleague of mine used to love being the last car on the ferry - as he had a Japanese import Subaru Imprezza putting out somewhere north of 350bhp and he thought every car in front was an overtaking opportunity - in a small way last Thursday I kind of know how he felt.  

Tractors, work vans, generally dithering Dilberts et al all put themselves on the road in my way and they were all passed really quickly.  This is a very capable little car and puts a smile on your face:-)

• 2 weeks later...

Another chapter in the story, and I wish I had chainsaws and fire at this point.

So for anyone following this, I am about 350 miles into the second consumption test following installation of the oil breather mod. Anywho, I was out and about for a drive, had it in flappy paddle mode. Went for an overtake, shifted down into 3rd, and as I booted it, engine hit about 5k revs. It misfired, started coughing, EPC and EML on the dash, so pulled over and switched off. Left it for a couple of minutes before starting up, warning lights still on, and running like a bag of ****. Pretty sure its running on 3 cylinders, so I'm thinking it'll be either the spark plug, coil pack or worst case both. Managed to limp the car home, booked into the garage for 10 days time, and am leaving it sat up until then. Will be organising recovery to get it to the garage so they can't say I've damaged it further by driving it. 

Absolutely fuming, I shouldn't be getting these problems with a 3 year old VW.

Is there a reason you have to wait 10 days, do you not have a Warranty & VW Assist.

A Courtesy car should be provided, and a proper diagnostics of the fault sooner than 10 days since you are already doing the Consumption Test & the probability is a Spark Plug if that has not been checked.

But it might have already gone worse than that if you have a Cylinder already worn or a valve failure.

All the best with it.

Edited by goneoffSKi

Having to wait as thats the soonest they could fit it in. I'm not under the original warranty unfortunately, I'm under the years approved used warranty as I am not the cars first owner. A courtesy car is being provided (I'm having to pay a tip to the insurance as I'm under 25). Any luck it'll just be the plug due to oil consumption and I can carry on motoring after. Just fed up of the car now and want rid of it.

Having to wait as thats the soonest they could fit it in. I'm not under the original warranty unfortunately, I'm under the years approved used warranty as I am not the cars first owner. A courtesy car is being provided (I'm having to pay a tip to the insurance as I'm under 25). Any luck it'll just be the plug due to oil consumption and I can carry on motoring after. Just fed up of the car now and want rid of it.

Thought that you had done the deal to PX for a Passat at the Hereford dealer.

Or did I get that wrong.

Surely you are due a new engine without all this messing about.

VW HQ UK should be giving the Engine Replacement the OK after the Master Technician advises that.

You have been messed about for a long time now when VW know the exact problem.

You have a CAVE Engine and one of the Poorly Built Ones.

http://revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1