Budget Tyres

M12MKD

So yes I'm normally one not to go for budget tyres, but sadly the budget I have requires going for a cheaper tyre.

Nankang NS2's are £72ish and NS20's are £70ish delivered to the door. The next jump up in price is for Cooper Zeon 2SX which are £99ish delivered to the door.

There is nothing inbetween that and the next jump which is about £134 delivered for Dunlop Spotmax.

Is the £20 a tyre worth it for the Cooper's? I think this is an old tyre brand that's come back and I'm sure they own Avon tyres.

Any other suggestions for 225/35/19 rubber?

Next question/problem is finding a tyre fitter in the Heathrow area that will 1) Fit my supplied tyres and 2) will not damage the alloys

Tyre reviews say the Nankang is an ok tyre and has got ok reviews. My Combi is low mileage and would be for mostly show/general commuting use (I have trackday wheels for anything else).

Surprised the Nankangs have dropped into a budget bracket. I don't have any experience with them on larger cars, but in the mini community they're well respected as a decent all rounder. Not premium, but certainly not budget.

Surprised the Nankangs have dropped into a budget bracket. I don't have any experience with them on larger cars, but in the mini community they're well respected as a decent all rounder. Not premium, but certainly not budget.

Really !!!

Having used just one as a spare, I can say one side spins really easy, whilst the other doesn't, guess which one is the spinner 

tumblr_mbru9u76S71r1oczno1_1280.jpg

• Like 1

I'd take the Coopers. Or keep looking. Nankang, Wanli, LingLong, Goodride, etc are all recipes for disaster.

Really !!!

Having used just one as a spare, I can say one side spins really easy, whilst the other doesn't, guess which one is the spinner 

tumblr_mbru9u76S71r1oczno1_1280.jpg

In fairness, my only experience of the Nankangs comes from minis. Everything feels likes it grips ok in a mini.  Except the tires that were fitted to my wife's Jet Black. They had no name. Literally no name.  terrifying

Sounds like the same tyre's on my mum's old mini, made roundabouts in the wet fun though!

Maybe I'll just wait and get some decent tyres then like the rs3's

So after a bit of research and searching the interweb, Uniroyal RainSport 3's seems to be ok both on price and how good the tyre is.

Cheapest I've found at £128.05 each is through F1autocentres, there is one not too far from me and although I've not used them before I asked about my tracking last year and they seemed to know what they were talking about. They offer on the website match plus 10% on the difference, I know both camskill £103.10 (but not in stock), Tyre Universe £109.50 and MyTyre £120.90 are cheaper but do not include fitting.

The website states only on fitted price, does anyone know of a website that can beat the F1autocentres price?

Thanks

Mike

Hmmm.  I had 'Event tyres' recommended.  They beat quite a few prices for my search, including fitting (mobile fitting I think), but I don't see any Uniroyals listed for your tyre size. Might be worth giving them a ring though in case they can get them in at a better price.

• Like 1

Cheers Maieth, I'll give them a go to.

F1 have matched the price bring them down to £118 a corner, but they cannot get them until May 10th!!

Tyrefactors have the RS3s in, but at £115.70 a corner delivered.

^^ Just give them a ring and they should be able to set you up an account.

They had them in stock on the 31st...

• 3 weeks later...

I can endorse the Nankang NS2's as I had them on my Fiat Punto (205/45/17). Good mileage and great dry grip. In the wet they weren't as good as the Bridgestones but were progressive and never surprised me.

If you can get membership (or know a member) to Costco, they do the Michelin Primacy HP (225/45/17 - OEM on my car) for £99 fitted.