How Can I Improve Traction?

DaveU

How can I improve my off the line traction?

Is it simply down to the amount of rubber in contact with the road?

Or is there something more that can be done?

When I accelerate from a stop I find it very easy to light the tyres up... Even when not trying for example pulling out of a junction or onto a busy roundabout where it's necessary to give it 'some welly'. Gets a bit tyresome (boom-boom) as if you keep the traction control on it is actually dangerous sometimes - I pulled onto a big roundabout quickly the other day and it cut the power leaving me stranded for a second with cars flying towards me :(

How about getting another remap, but having it more progressively bringing in the power rather than the bang which I have now?

More rubber contact with the road would help I suppose! Would the ESP option improve traction here at all? I understand what you say about ASR. I don't like it much either.. it just takes too long to recover after being activated, especially when pulling away from a stop. I'm not sure yet how it behaves when driving hard on twisting lanes though, with torque steer, etc. I received no documentation whatsoever on how ASR & ESP actually work, limitations etc. Anyone know where I could get this info, please? I don't actually have ESP, does it work well? I look forward to the 4x4 vRS hatch!

Originally posted by ejk65 in this post

I received no documentation whatsoever on how ASR & ESP actually work, limitations etc. Anyone know where I could get this info, please? I don't actually have ESP, does it work well? I look forward to the 4x4 vRS hatch!

This thread might be of interest to you, ejk65. If you do a search for ASR, EDL and ESP you will find other related threads which also cover the topics in some detail.

PS I live in a respectable area where owning a 4X4 attracts street cred. OTOH owning a wannabe boy racer car with plastic add-ons does the opposite. Each to his own! :cool:

Hmmm looks like i'll start looking down the traction control route here...

There was a lot of discussion about Quiafe/other LSDs and Racelogic traction control a little while ago - did anybody bite the bullet and change theirs?

If I understand previous posts correclty - fitting an LSD would be pretty useless for standing starts - more benficial to track work.

Dave,

you can Mike to give you a more progressive rise in boost lower down......not unlike someone we know with the "official/unofficial" bhp figures.;)

I suppose you could go down the RaceLogic route but that would be sooooooo expensive.

Wider tyres may help but in the end tyre smokin' is what you get for wanting....ultimate power!:D

Cheers.

Adrian.

Originally posted by DaveU in this post

There was a lot of discussion about Quiafe/other LSDs and Racelogic traction control a little while ago - did anybody bite the bullet and change theirs?

I'm with Denis here. For that kind of money (LSD) you'd better buy a 4x4 and don it with all the RS bodykit, interior and suspension you like.

Originally posted by ffelan in this post

Dave, if 4x4's are so quick how come an RS' won the "rally stage at chepstow yesterday?

Just one standing start and a driver to make up for it.

Having said that, I remember the FWD Xsara kit car of Philippe Bugalski running rings around the WRC troops at Corsica some years ago. On straight tarmac FWD can be an advantage.

However... if my memory serves me right, I have visions of ETCC FWD 300 hp Alfas wasting their front-row positions through traction problems while the RWD BMWs come zooming past. It's only on the next lap that the Alfa trick diff and the BMW weight penalty for running RWD in the first place help the Italian cars to recover - if they do. Wonder how an Audi quattro would do against them. But then these weren't banned from Super Touring racing for nothing after cleaning up the all the major European touring car series in 1996...

Originally posted by ffelan in this post

you are right about the audi's but there is 4wd and 4wd.. I prefer a rear bias... the chepstow stage had more than just tarmac... but we snow ploughed our way through it;)

Impressive! :eek:

So you were using snow chains to do that? :p :D

I'd prefer rear bias too, but I also prefer any 4WD over none at all. It's not that you can have your Skoda work like a Porsche or a Skyline...

*shakes head - I think I'll get away with that one at work - It's not exactly THAT dodgy is it? BTW - I think this little incident with the Golf has left an emotional scar. Don't take it so bad, mate. There are simply cars out there that have been modded to the extreme... Although, Des' RS may have given it a really good run for its money..?