Different size alloys on different axles

Guest BigJase88

Guest BigJase88

I think i know the answer to this one

Could i run say 17's on the front and 18's on the rear? Legally and pass an MOT?

Short temp measure obviously

Wheels will have same rolling radius

225/45/17 front 255/35/18 rear?

Thanks

Guest BigJase88

its just my car failed its MOT today for inside edge on the rear tyres

went to my local tyre place and they believe they are completely legal (as do i), i was just in a pickle whether or not to get 2 new rears at £218 or buy a whole new set of wheels and tyres as i don't particularly want to spend £218 on a set of wheels i dont particularly like.

so i was going to borrow the tyres off the rear of my old boys car just to get it through for the time being 

but i have in the last 5 minutes pulled the trigger on a set of new rims and tyres  :wall:  doh

Doesn't the MOT guide say that the tread in the centre has to be above the minimum and there are no steels/canvas showing? (And no damage etc but not relevant here)

I wore the edge down on my winters by running them too low pressure wise, both edges are worn but the centre is fine. Council MOT place advised me on them 2 years ago. I put them on the rear and kept the pressures where they should be... passed 1 MOT since with the same advisory and another centre didn't even advise (edit because I forgot about the last bit... my brother has the car now and MOT'd it at a difference council centre).

Edited by DanHarper

1. The grooves of the tread pattern are not at least 1.6mm throughout a continuous band comprising the central three-quarters of the breadth of tread, and round the entire outer circumference of the tyre Note: Each side of the central band of the tyre can be devoid of tread (ie. ‘bald’) and still meet the pass.  See diagram below

tyres_4.1_page6.gif

Source: http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_410.htm section 4.1

Edited by DanHarper

Guest BigJase88

I actually went to the local tyre place and they believe as i do that the rear tyres are completely legal.

I believe the mot place are 'taking the pi55' possibly because they know i do the work myself to my car.

I actually went to the local tyre place and they believe as i do that the rear tyres are completely legal.

I believe the mot place are 'taking the pi55' possibly because they know i do the work myself to my car.

Then go back to the Test Station and ask them for an appeal form.

• Like 1

Guest BigJase88

You can get an appeal form?

As soon as i mentioned they were legal the owner shot me down in flames.

Basically the tread on the rear has between 3-4mm over the entire tread. Except the rear inner edge (10mm) which has worn.

This is how runflats wear apparently

Print the page off the manual and shove it in his face (or go to another station, get the all clear and complain to VOSA).

In future use the council test centre if you do your own work imho. Totally straight MOTs (though the woman who does mine is a little picky and likes to advise on stuff like the exhaust corroding... yes its been like that for 3 years now! Its surface rust! Only a problem come resale time) and really helpful in my experience (5 MOTs done through t'council so far).

Edited by DanHarper
  • Like 1

Guest BigJase88

I know its hard to tell from the pic but the tread over the tyre is about 3mm (well above wear markers)

Wear is on inside edge

3A8E6634-ABBC-4E0C-8096-3F1AAF043888_zps

Legal or not?

If the grooves that I've arrowed in red are not cut as deep as the main grooves that I've marked in green, for MOT purposes the red grooves are not part of the tyre tread and the depth cannot be measured there, which makes it legal.

post-5007-0-84966700-1396647097_thumb.jpg

Then appeal!

It isn't that difficult to do, plus it points out to VOSA a garage that is possibly failing cars on purpose to gain work or sales.

The garage will not like having an appeal against them!

Both my front tyres wore on the inside and outside similar to Jase. So I've stuck them on the rear because there is a fair bit of tread left in the centre!

I know they needed changing so like you I bought new wheels too, just waiting to get them back from powder coaters.

tbh, id be tempted to fail that (if i was a tester, which im not!), if an eye isnt kept on it it could go right through and deflate. Id say turn it round to the outside where you can see it and it would be safer. 

Safety is the most important thing. 

Looks a bit like a tracking issue to me?

Guest BigJase88

Its a runflat

Tbh i keep an eye on my car.

No tracking issue its just the camber on the back and the fact its a runflat (its how they wear on the rear apparently)

From a legality and mot point of view the tyre is completely legal