I may have worked out why I'm not happy with the sound out of the Canton ...

Might be because I listen to my music at home via these

vegaheqy.jpg

Pair of Mission M74 and a KEF PSW 2000 [emoji2]

Sent from my XT1052 using Tapatalk

vegaheqy.jpg

That's a lovely carpet, err, speakers! I meant speakers!

• Like 2

I'm hoping the canton isn't too bad, but given both my hifi and my current car have systems costing around £2000 I have I feeling my Octavia will probably see some audio upgrades!

I will probably swap out the subwoofer for my current 8" sub pretty sharpish! :) A 6.5" sub is laughable, a good 8" is a compromise really.

Edited by Shermo

We've only been in the house six months and it came with it. Not done downstairs yet. Will be replace with oak laminate shortly. Although we may keep it ;)

vegaheqy.jpg

Come on guys… stop going on about his carpet!

It's the 'terminus cafe table-cloth' curtains we should be concerned about...

• Like 1

Come on guys… stop going on about his carpet!

It's the 'terminus cafe table-cloth' curtains we should be concerned about...

Agreed. Give the guy a break, he did say the carpet was going to make way for laminate.

I do think that the placing of the speakers is close to the settee though... there's less leg room than on ryannair...slightly

We've only been in the house six months and it came with it. Not done downstairs yet. Will be replace with oak laminate shortly. Although we may keep it ;)

For good sound you don't want hard reflective surfaces like laminate flooring as the sound will just bounce and reflect all over the place. You need more carpet and sound deadening fabric. Laminate flooring is a pain to keep clean, scratches very easily and is very noisy to walk on.

• Like 2

Interesting comment about the Canton, I have spec'd it after reading good comments on here, I have two audio systems in two separate rooms and each system is worth in excess of £6000, the cables alone on one of the systems are worth more than £1500.

I too didn't even listen to the audio on the test drive, when I was in the dealers ordering the car the salesman said, the sound of the normal speaker system was good enough, I hadn't mentioned that I am into hifi.

He seemed quite surprised when I rang about a month later to add the Canton system to my order.

When the car eventually arrives I will let you know my thoughts.

Interesting comment about the Canton, I have spec'd it after reading good comments on here, I have two audio systems in two separate rooms and each system is worth in excess of £6000, the cables alone on one of the systems are worth more than £1500.

I too didn't even listen to the audio on the test drive, when I was in the dealers ordering the car the salesman said, the sound of the normal speaker system was good enough, I hadn't mentioned that I am into hifi.

He seemed quite surprised when I rang about a month later to add the Canton system to my order.

When the car eventually arrives I will let you know my thoughts.

Ur going to be disappointed with the canton then lol

I'm not going to willy wave but I have a very good cinema and hi if system at home but I still appreciate a factory audio upgrade in the car. I rate the Canton system as a good improvement over standard and worth the additional money. I do however realise that its far more difficult to achieve a good result in the cabin of a car compared to a room that can be tweaked to enhance the sound (as mentioned above, soft furnishings and carpet help to take any hard edge off the sound and give it a warmer/richer presentation) :)

Up until two weeks ago I considered the Audi A6 Bang & Olufsen system to be about the best I've heard overall but then I got to play with the 29 speaker Meridian setup at JLR Gaydon - omg - it was on another level in terms of detail, sound stage and oomph and has totally realigned my expectations of what can be achieved in an in car environment.

The canton is definately a step up but early on is weak and needs time to settle. Falls short of the B&O in the S3 but still decent.

Not heard the true B&O in A6 never mind I your latest find :)

• Like 1

I don't have a posh home system but I have got loads of cassette tapes. TDK, BASF, Maxel, you name it, I have it

• Like 2

I'm happy with my Canton even though my home stereo costs more than £30K

I do not listen to my car stereo the same way i do at home. I would most likely driven the the car off the road if i did.

• Like 1

The Canton needs a long break-in to sound proper good. In the beginning, I sort of regret my choice of the Canton. Much better now!

The only way to truly appreciate music is to house your Hi-Fi in an anechoic chamber, anything with an ambient sound above 20dB is basically pointless...