1.4 TSI Oil Consumption

Just read on the VW Forum that the 1.4 TSI engine oil consumption is pretty high. 1 litre per 2000 miles appears to be low consumption, with many more owners reporting 1 litre per 1500 miles. Apparently this is normal for this engine. What is the experience of 1.4 TSI Octy owners?

Mine goes into build next week, but there are a few common themes on this forum that might make me regret buying. Examples are:

1). Low frequency boom, particularly over uneven roads.

2). Water retention in doors, particularly if you have to park on a hill.

3). Loose / Rippled leather on driver seat base after only a few miles (regardless of weight).

Can't remember the last time I owned a car that had any of the above issues.

I think what you've been reading is about the old twincharged 1.4, that's not then engine used now.

Yes, you're right. I was reading about the twincharged 1.4 TSI. Thanks for that, it's put my mind at rest on that one, though I still have concerns over the other issues I mentioned. Time will tell whether or not I'm lucky with the first two, but looking at the photos posted on here, I'd have to say that many of the leather seats do look rippled and there are a fair few complaints about it.

1.4 TSI, done about 2200 miles so far, no additional oil demanded. None of the problems you mentioned (though didn't want leather seats), in fact no problems at all except there's occasionally some strange wind noise at highway speeds that I can't quite pin down. The petrol engine is remarkably good.

(I had to take a company Hyundai i30 for a 400-mile trip yesterday. You can't imagine how glad I was to be back in the Skoda today. :D)

• Like 1

Yes, you're right. I was reading about the twincharged 1.4 TSI. Thanks for that, it's put my mind at rest on that one, though I still have concerns over the other issues I mentioned. Time will tell whether or not I'm lucky with the first two, but looking at the photos posted on here, I'd have to say that many of the leather seats do look rippled and there are a fair few complaints about it.

The water retention on the sills is normal due to the design of the door seals, it's causes no ill effects.

Water retention in the door sills is not normal. Golf 5 had a similar problem. And in winter when that water froze, the door would bent when you tried to open it.

Water retention in the door sills is not normal. Golf 5 had a similar problem. And in winter when that water froze, the door would bent when you tried to open it.

I highly doubt that, I can't see a human having the strength to bend the door because it's frozen shut. You'd break the handle off first, if you had the strength.

And it is normal, every VAG car I've know has done it and even SUK say it's normal.

I'm highly sure of that, having owned a golf mk5. This is what happens and next time you see a golf 5, check out the front doors.

post-110632-0-34576700-1396788238_thumb.jpg

And if you're still not sure just google "golf mk5 ice doors". There are many more pictures like these and posts on vw forums. golfmkv.com has plenty of them.

VW even admitted to this problem and even issued a service bulletin on this. Whoever wanted and knew of this service info could take his golf, if it was still in warranty, and the service would mount some water stoppers in doors that would prevent water retention at the front of the door. But although they admitted this problem, they did not change the production line. Golf 5 were all produced without those additional water stoppers.

Edited by florino

Are you sure what you've read about oil usage refers to the current 1.4tsi? I know there were problems with the older one but not read anything so far about this latest version.

This is a good remark in this thread.

Mind, I am no expert on what is the actual new engine in the Octavia mk3, but here are some thoughts.

• The Octavia 2 facelift featured the 1.4 TSI 122hp unit.

Providing 250 Nm of torque, it ran turbo only, compared to the bigger TSI units supplied throughout the VAG range at the time.

Runs on timing chain.

• The Octavia 3 new offers the 1.4 TSI 140hp unit.

Providing same level of torque, it still runs the turbo only configuration, named EA211.

• Current Volkswagen Golf and Audi A3 offers 1.4 TSI 140hp lower emission units.

Note, units feature the cylinder shut-off to gain the new, lower emission in the test cycle.

Locally I've read about the old 122hp units and some negative happenings. To what extent, I can't tell you. Talking to a VW mechanic, it seems being 30 000km intervals on the long life oil which doesn't suit a mechanically operated engine well, especially in regard of the timinig chain which are found on these engines. His recommendation was to avoid such long intervalls, atleast not overrunning them!

So, the current 140hp unit in the Golf and A3 seems better suited, as they are revised back into running with timing belt and binning the mechanical chain operation. Our newly ordered 1.4 TSI was done with the clear statement of programming intervals down to 15000 km before handover. I've heard (... gosh, one of those :think: ) the 122hp units being tested and found up to 139hp in original form, so power-wise I am not confident today's 140hp engines are of new design or just a minor effective tweak and officially stating a higher output.

What is difficult for me is to state wether the Octavia 3 unit took the old non-cylinder shut-off header into a timing belt-build, or sticking with the old incl timing chain.

INPUT WELCOMED!

Edited by WAUOla

• 4 weeks later...

Does the new 1.4TSI have timing chain or belt? I was under the impression it was chain (and based on scheduled service costs in australia, i'd say it would have to be. There's no $1K+ service (indicating a timing belt/water pump change)

I'm highly sure of that, having owned a golf mk5. This is what happens and next time you see a golf 5, check out the front doors.

attachicon.gifSANY3838.JPG

And if you're still not sure just google "golf mk5 ice doors". There are many more pictures like these and posts on vw forums. golfmkv.com has plenty of them.

VW even admitted to this problem and even issued a service bulletin on this. Whoever wanted and knew of this service info could take his golf, if it was still in warranty, and the service would mount some water stoppers in doors that would prevent water retention at the front of the door. But although they admitted this problem, they did not change the production line. Golf 5 were all produced without those additional water stoppers.

That's quite some damage but I guess it's no different to freezing water splitting pipes; don't think many people realise water expands 10% when frozen compared to only 4% when heated up to boiling point.

TP

Does the new 1.4TSI have timing chain or belt? I was under the impression it was chain (and based on scheduled service costs in australia, i'd say it would have to be. There's no $1K+ service (indicating a timing belt/water pump change)

EA211 is with carbon armored belt. 

Damn! I frikken HATE belts with a passion.....chains are vastly more reliable (abeit with worse NVH), dont have any uber expensive service intervals and are generally just better. What interval is the change for the belt?

Everywhere seems to have conflicting info - some say belt, others chain......I was under the impression it was effectively the 90tsi engine (which is chain) with some minor mods?

Damn! I frikken HATE belts with a passion.....chains are vastly more reliable (abeit with worse NVH), dont have any uber expensive service intervals and are generally just better. What interval is the change for the belt?

Everywhere seems to have conflicting info - some say belt, others chain......I was under the impression it was effectively the 90tsi engine (which is chain) with some minor mods?

My dealer said, that belt service intervall would be something like 200 000 km or so.

My dealer said, that belt service intervall would be something like 200 000 km or so.

In australia, they are quoting 105000 k's :( typical, we get screwed for pretty much everything here. It's ok though, I have an excellent independant that is very familiar with all VAG cars (inc porsche and audi) and charges less than the dealer!

Still, I dont trust belts - had one let go years ago on a car inside its service interval and bent a few valves. Never had a chain go on any vehicle i've owned, and ive owned a few that had a lot of k's on them!

Price you pay I guess - just cant afford the rs, otherwise i'd get another rs tsi manual wagon.

1.8 TSI  has chain as well. :)

But in oz, cant get the 1.8TSI in manual.......no manual = instant fail for me. DSG just doesnt do it for me.

• 3 weeks later...

I own a Fabia vRS, I have a significant problem with water collecting in the front doors after rain or after washing the car; this stays in place until you open the door - it can be for days. My dealer has investigated the problem, has confirmed that it happens and has been in touch with Skoda UK about the issue. Skoda seem disinterested. Initially I believed that this only happened as a result of parking on a slope, I have subsequently shown that it also happens when parked on the flat. I have never encountered this problem on any of the many cars Ihave owned or driven over many years. At least three other people say that they have noticed the same thing (LINK) .It is very worrying because I am concerned that it may cause rusting from the inside out - why would water get inside the doors on a modern car?

In fairness to the dealer, they are taking the issue far more seriously than Skoda appear to be doing.

As to excessive oil consumption with the 1.4TSI, there are lots of reports on the Mk. 2 Fabia sub-forum of this happening with the twincharged 1.4 TSI Fabia vRS but I wasn't aware of this happening with the Octavia - about which I know next to nothing to be honest.