Engine Mount Advise

Hiya

I'm going to be replacing the N/S engine mount and found the following:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351042970662

Has anyone had experience of these or similar?

I was thinking mounts may be one of those items best sourced from the dealer, but I don't want to pay the much higher price if there's no real difference.

Cheers

Non genuine mounts are normally fine, but we have found in the past some cause a lot more vibration. I've even replaced one at work, and the new one was worse than the failed OEM one. 

It might be worth trying somewhere like EuroCarParts and see if they list a Lemforder one, or something with an OEM quality. At least if the part is no good or prematurely fails you can return it.

Thanks for the advice guys.

I emailed the seller about the manufacturer and they are made by a danish company called mechanic. Very hard to Google a company called mechanic for reviews!

The seller actually said that if quality was a concern, to go genuine or lemforder.

Eurocarparts don't have any in stock, but I've sent them a message to see if they can get one.

If you are stuck I have a very good oem engine and gearbox mount going spare. I only removed to replace with THS toughened mounts to match rest of car. PM me if interested.

Sent from my Samsung S3

Dealer retail is about £50 for the genuine mount. You will also need 2 pairs of new bolts.

Am I needing to replace all the bolts? I was under the impression I only needed to replace the mount-gearbox bolts. The mount-car frame bolts could be reused. Not sure now though. I was going to buy all of them, but the dealer only has the mount-gearbox in stock.

Am I needing to replace all the bolts? I was under the impression I only needed to replace the mount-gearbox bolts. The mount-car frame bolts could be reused. Not sure now though. I was going to buy all of them, but the dealer only has the mount-gearbox in stock.

There are 5 bolts. The only one you don't need to replace is the small 'location' bolt. The other 2 pairs of bolts MUST be replaced as they are stretch bolts.

I had a lot of vibrations and after replacing the top engine mount and the dog bone I finally changed this one. The vibration seemed to have disappeared for a while and it returned.. :wall:  Maybe it was only my idea and there is a problem somewhere else....

And it was a FEBI mount...

Here is my DIY 

http://diy-vag-20vt.blogspot.gr/2014/03/engine-mount-1j0199555ah.html

Hi Dude as mentioned

the mounts and bolts are in this drawing and i would replace them all i listed below

Enginemountings.jpg

part number of bolts are

N10209603 x 4 (item 15 and 24 in pic)

N10516701 x 4 (these are the stretch bolts according to VAGCAT ) (item 6 and 10 in pic)

Yes, I'll replace them all even if it means delaying the work. I thought only the one type were stretch.

Annoying as the mounts will arrive tomorrow, but I'll only have half the bolts.

The first skoda chap said that all the bolts needed would be off the shelf as they use them when changing cam belts. Was surprised today when another chap said they didn't have them and would need to order them in :-(

Will give them a bell tomorrow to double check.

Yes, I'll replace them all even if it means delaying the work. I thought only the one type were stretch.

Annoying as the mounts will arrive tomorrow, but I'll only have half the bolts.

The first skoda chap said that all the bolts needed would be off the shelf as they use them when changing cam belts. Was surprised today when another chap said they didn't have them and would need to order them in :-(

Will give them a bell tomorrow to double check.

Go to TPS first then VW dealer or Seat or even Audi as they are all common bolts across them and maybe one has then in stock. In fact each of those dealers can check the others stock believe it or not, they just can't be bothered to say that. 

• 3 weeks later...

Help needed:

After a lot of vibration, I replaced the gearbox mount with FEBI 1J0 199 555 AH (it was more expensive than the other octavia mounts and it was labeled as ''reinforced'' at the receipt). 

http://diy-vag-20vt.blogspot.gr/2014/03/engine-mount-1j0199555ah.html

After removing the old one, it was obviously softer than the new one. 

After installing the new one, the vibration disappeared for a while and after some miles it returned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQziXuf8Kh0&feature=youtu.be

Can anyone tell the difference of the various 1J0199555 mounts (AH-AJ-AQ)?

What should I install now?

Is there a reinforced aftermarket at a reasonable price that I could use instead?

post-12537-0-09168800-1398694611_thumb.jpg

Looking at your video the movement and play on that mount is hardly anything. Don't expect the mount not to move as if it did not at all you would get extreme vibrations through the chassis. I would say your vibration is probably caused by something else. Maybe your dogbone mount is come loose or suspect. What type did you fit.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the answer!

The truth is that watching the video the vibration is not noticeable but if you watch it live it is much worse. Not to mention the fact that the mount moves easily by hand back and forth...

The funny is that the vibration disappeared for a while when I changed this mount.. that is why I believe it is the mount again.

I replaced the dogbone 2 months ago but I will check it again.

Having played with a couple of these gear box mounts (AP versions) I'd agree with Bowders1.

They seem to have a little bit of play horizontally, that can be moved with the hand. Vertically I noticed no movement.

It looks like they are designed to give a bit of movement one direction, but not the other.

Assuming your mount is fine, I have no other suggestions though.

Having played with a couple of these gear box mounts (AP versions) I'd agree with Bowders1.

They seem to have a little bit of play horizontally, that can be moved with the hand. Vertically I noticed no movement.

It looks like they are designed to give a bit of movement one direction, but not the other.

Assuming your mount is fine, I have no other suggestions though.

So next step is to check the (Newlly installed) dogbone. How should I check it? Maybe unbolt it and see if the play deteriorates?

replacing the febi part with a lemforder part :thumbup:

I hear febi have now gone/going the way of meyle

ps

You did change the stretch bolts ?

I thought febi is the same with lemforder, they are in the same bilstein catalogue I think. Or not?

I didnt change the bolts. Could this affect the mount? I checked them and they are tight.

So next step is to check the (Newlly installed) dogbone. How should I check it? Maybe unbolt it and see if the play deteriorates?

I thought febi is the same with lemforder, they are in the same bilstein catalogue I think. Or not?

I didnt change the bolts. Could this affect the mount? I checked them and they are tight.

Won't effect the mount performance to a point if bolts stay tight,  but as the bolts are stretch bolts they can snap if they are reused as they have already been torqued /stretched from the last time they were used. They should be only a one time use part. As they stretch,  this also locks the bolt tight into the thread. As they have been stretched already then they can not be locked in as tight next time and this could lead to the bolt working loose or snapping.

And it does happen as my engine mount bolts snapped (due to a garage numpty reusing same bolts). The engine dropped just shy of the drive shaft and was up tight against inner wing. It smashed the cam cover and the cam belt tensioner was about 5mm away from being hit by a obstacle. It was one of the scariest situations i have been in,  in my car. The sound when it went and the rubbing after was scary. When I lifted bonnet it was obvious what had happened.

So my advise is when the bolts are stretch bolts replace them with new ones. This include the  dogbone mount bolts to as i also know folks have snapped those stretch bolts removing them from subframe, because they have reused them too.

• Like 1

you just can't tell with stretch bolts - they can look all shiny and in perfect looking condition - but have had all the strength torqued out of them

I've experienced a single side mount bolt fail (a re-used one, torqued to tight) allowing the mount to lift at the front, plus a dogbone gearbox bolt shearing in similar way

febi = bilstien - same company now, and moving large parts of their production to china

-it seemed from what you've explained that you changed a mount - problem solved - now problem has returned in the same manner ?

Just seems logical to check the replacement part, if it has gone soft as per your orignal mount

If the part has fail before time, I'd be looking at replacing with a lemforder oem spec part

And it does happen as my engine mount bolts snapped (due to a garage numpty reusing same bolts). The engine dropped just shy of the drive shaft and was up tight against inner wing. It smashed the cam cover and the cam belt tensioner was about 5mm away from being hit by a obstacle. It was one of the scariest situations i have been in, in my car. The sound when it went and the rubbing after was scary. When I lifted bonnet it was obvious what had happened.

So my advise is when the bolts are stretch bolts replace them with new ones. This include the dogbone mount bolts to as i also know folks have snapped those stretch bolts removing them from subframe, because they have reused them too.

you just can't tell with stretch bolts - they can look all shiny and in perfect looking condition - but have had all the strength torqued out of them

I've experienced a single side mount bolt fail (a re-used one, torqued to tight) allowing the mount to lift at the front, plus a dogbone gearbox bolt shearing in similar way

febi = bilstien - same company now, and moving large parts of their production to china

-it seemed from what you've explained that you changed a mount - problem solved - now problem has returned in the same manner ?

Just seems logical to check the replacement part, if it has gone soft as per your orignal mount

If the part has fail before time, I'd be looking at replacing with a lemforder oem spec part

Thank you both!

OK you have persuaded me to buy new bolts!!

Yes, changed mount - problem solved - now problem has returned in the same manner.

So, you suggest buying a lemforder mount and returning the febi one to the shop.

That is what I am going to do.

Edited by OCTAVIA_4X4_ABT

Thank you both!

OK you have persuaded me to buy new bolts!!

Yes, changed mount - problem solved - now problem has returned in the same manner.

So, you suggest buying a lemforder mount and returning the febi one to the shop.

That is what I am going to do.

good choice buddy...

OEM quality on those kinda parts is best approach.

I do have a known good OEM spare i removed if you get stuck.

I only removed it due to replacing with uprated THS stiffer mounts for my requirements.