Clear up my thoughts on Green panel filters and Seat strut Brace.

lee c

Answer Dunno havent fitted them yet.

All the reading i have done indicates that each of these has a slight benefit individually, but put them together and you start to see a difference.

For 118 to get the intake, brace and the sound mod on the engine is not bad money in my opinion.

P.S I am a sheep and Bahh will follow the rest.

Cheers

Lee

OK !! BOTTOM LINE HERE !!

1. Does the fitting of a green filter make any noticable difference? Or is it just psychological?

2. Will the fitting of the Ibiza Air intake make even more noticable difference?

3. Will the strut brace improve steering / grip etc. If so' date=' in what way?[/quote']

so whats th ecrack with strut brace fitting then ?

I see some people recommending torque wrenches. Necessary ?

Im about to pick mine up - can I just whack it on and tighten as much as I can ? What have others done ?

The bolts should be tightened to roughly 25NM. Or you can do what I did and guess :)

You may need someone to help you (I needed the local garage :rolleyes:) because they can need persuading over the holes, i guess mine was a tighter fit than most.

I don't use a torque wrench Ben. The usual two grunts and a groan for me.

Only two of the three bolts need to be undone. I also used washers to stop the bolt heads tearing the paint off. Do it on a level surface.

I also forgot to mention the Vacuum unit on the offside.

You need to get the brace underneath it. I took mine off, easy and stops any paint being scratched.

Thats what i am thinking. Wanted to check before buying and having a mare if it had to be drilled in or something.

so whats th ecrack with strut brace fitting then ?

I see some people recommending torque wrenches. Necessary ?

Im about to pick mine up - can I just whack it on and tighten as much as I can ? What have others done ?

Where did they sneak a turbo or supercharger into a Focus ST then big man?? :P

Well the ST170 is a 2l turbo, and the new Focus ST (220bhp) is a 2.5l turbo... are we talking about the same cars? Mondeo ST220 isn't a turbo ;)

Chris

Do you need longer bolts to fit the Seat top strut brace. My thinking is with the mounting plate/brkt,if you are using std bolts/screws the threaded part will be less as you have to go through the plate first. Guessing brkt must be 5/6mm thick. Are the screws/bolts long enought to be ok??? R :confused:

Do you need longer bolts to fit the Seat top strut brace. My thinking is with the mounting plate/brkt,if you are using std bolts/screws the threaded part will be less as you have to go through the plate first. Guessing brkt must be 5/6mm thick. Are the screws/bolts long enought to be ok??? R :confused:

I'v had mine on for some 25K now with no issues so far ;)

.......For 118 to get the intake' date=' brace and the sound mod on the engine is not bad money in my opinion.

Cheers

Lee[/quote']

check out this thread and you may save a few quid on your mods from a fellow Briskodian :thumbup:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/t34508-unmodifying-my-car.html

I don't use a torque wrench Ben. The usual two grunts and a groan for me.

Only two of the three bolts need to be undone. I also used washers to stop the bolt heads tearing the paint off. Do it on a level surface.

:rofl: The usual two grunts and a groan! :rofl:

He's right though, Seat don't use a torque wrench when they fit them - they just tighten all they can - I was recommended by Seat garage to save the cash and fit my own!

Standard bolts are fine, no worries from almost new with mine on, doesn't touch airbox and never has. :thumbup: Easy fit and worthwhile mod IMHO.

Seat don't use a torque wrench when they fit them - they just tighten all they can.

I'm sure they ought too really though - It's one thing to laugh about it but as pro's they should know better, especially if you are footing the bill!!

• 3 weeks later...

So. I've listened to all of you and got the lot. Fitted the strut brace in 20 minutes. Really easy. Perfect fit on ALL 4 bolts. The air intake was 5 minutes and easier than 'Chavboys' instructions. Then came air the filter. Realised that the strut brace was in the way so had to unbolt the right hand side. So it took a little longer.

Difference?

Strut brace - Yes! :cool: Much more steering feel and it looks good under the bonnet !!LOL :rofl:

Air Intake - Cant tell yet. Watch this space!

Picture to follow when it stops raining !

Thanks for ALL your help chaps !! :thumbup: