problem with oem reversing sensor please help

My sensors do not seem to work when reverse is engaged there is a long beep and then nothing no image on the radio and no beeping from the sensors them selfs.

How would i go about find what the problem is as i am not sure if it is a sensor that has gone or the control box.

Do the reverse lights come on? If not its likely to be the reverse switch, either the switch itself, or the wiring to it that's frayed. Its relatively easily accessed once the airbox is removed.

It is also quite common for the rear wiper washer supply to pop off near the control unit and soak it. So does the rear washer work?

Failing either of those, a VCDS scan would be the best way to diagnose the issue.

Adam

Either water in a sensor, or a knackered sensor. Put the car in reverse with ignition on ( no need for the engine to be running) and cup your ear over each sensor in turn. They emit a clicking sound if working correctly, the one that doesn't is the one causing the long error beep.

Check reverse lights come on.

No lights, probably dodgy switch.

Lights on, probably dodgy sensor (try trick above).

No dodgy sensor, then probably wiring damaged somehow. Get VCDS scan to help diagnose fault.

Thanks for the replys found it is a faulty sensor. Does anyone have the part number for a 06 plate octavia so i dod not get the wrong one

p.s my rear washers do not work so i am guessing either a pipe is damaged or has a block in the pipe

Part number for my 06 was 7H0 919 275 C, plenty of choice on eBay.

As for the washer , It's worth taking the rear nozzle off and checking if that's blocked, 10 second job and could save you a lot of unnecessary trim removal.

Edited by Mr G 76

Have a look here to double check, but is listed as being 7H0 919 275 C.

http://www.partscats.info/skoda/en/?i=cat_vag_models&brand=sk&number=81&set=94&ein=2006&f=419&hauptgr=1234567890&hg=9&grf=091950419&bf=91950&hgug=919&ug=19&parent_id=117713

Just a really pessimistic thought; do you have water in the spare wheel well?

The pipe for the rear washer runs with the wiring loom to the rear of the car (wiring for washer, wiper, parking sensors, rear lights, CD player, etc.) it is not unknown for the pipe to leak and run water over the wires causing electrical problems.

If there is water in the spare wheel well then that might indicate the source of both your problems.

When you try to use the rear wash, can you hear the pump trying to work?

Is there any water under the vehicle once you have tried to use the rear wash? Probably in the NSR or under engine areas.

Have you cleaned the nozzle / jet?