Octavia VRS candy white paint thickness

Hello everyone.

I need an information about the original paint thickness for Octavia VRS 1Z FL model. So if anyone has a paint thickness gauge I would be very thankful for the readings across the whole car.

I went to the dealer and took some measurements and they were in area between 250 and 310 um. That seems quite high for a car that I bought three years ago brand new. No paint work of whatsoever have been done.

Thank you in advance.

Giggs

Edited by giggs

I've done a lot of paint measurements and seen between 100 and 150 um on most newer VAG machinery - like Audi Q7.  Even a Bentley Continental was not that excessive but I would expect a Bentley to have more to be honest..... Was 250 to 310 right across the car?   Also, what gauge are you using and could its calibration be all out of shape?

DSCF0034.jpg

Hello and thank you for your answer.

It isn't a calibration issue because we tested it on few new cars and it showed 120-150um.

Was 250 to 310 right across the car?

Yes.

The door shuts measurements were around 150um.

G

Edited by giggs

I also think that a respray has been done before my collection. That's probably happened in a factory or after the transport in my country.

Service advisor at my dealership has opened an issue at the importer. We will see what will happen.

I really don't know what to demand or expect from them. Any suggestion is welcome.

Will report.

Giggs

• 2 months later...

So I've received an answer from the Skoda's customer relationship office. They wrote that there is nothing wrong with the car and that there is no record that the car was damaged in any way. They also wrote that the standard paint thickness is from 50 µm to 350 µm.

Because I was not satisfied with their answer I insisted on getting the real reason for that paint thickness (production/transport damage, paint dosage error, ...).

I aslo asked for some kind of official certificate that the car came out of the production with that paint thickness - service advisor at one of the Skoda dealership told me that this should not be a problem to get. I am thinking that this certificate could come handy when the car will be for sale.

So. Nothing concrete, but I am getting felling that they don't want to bother much with my case. 

Cheers,

Giggs

I don't see were this topic is going, why would it be a problem come time to sell the car because the paint is thicker than you think it should be. I've never met any person buying a second hand car turn up with a paint thicknes gauge. Unless there us obvious paint problems you won't have a problem.

as meta55b said - pointless exercise.

a buyer won't rock up with a paint thickness gauge meter to decide if they should buy the car.

there r other things to worry/look-out for.

a "certificate" from the factory paintshop stating the thickness of the paintjob?!?!  esshhhhhh.

ur car end of the day - ur way :)

Edited by JR RS

I've never met any person buying a second hand car turn up with a paint thicknes gauge.

That's interesting. Well in our country that's mostly the case.

New cars are also being sold partly resprayed. And I don't think a respray is as quality as a factory spray.

Anyway. Thank you for posting. Maybe I am exaggerating, since i had no major problems with the car.

Cheers.

Generally the paint is in good condition (I'm a detailing fan). Few cracks were found on some hidden places, but nothing serious.

I'm just trying to find out if something unpredictable happened to it (already had a problem with brand new resprayed car). But yes. More paint, more polishing 'space'.

Giggs

Edited by giggs
  • Like 1