High mileage

Hi all was just wondering if anyone else has a high mileage vrs cos my baby is on nearly 150,000 and still pulls really well was just wondering how much longer I can enjoy it before she gives up don't get me wrong I will put a new engine in it when it does . I'm a taxi driver and we use the octavia 1.9 tdi and some of them have well over 200,000 on the clocks but diesels last longer than petrol so was just wondering when I should start saving for the new engine :-)

Mine plodded to 201000 before the turbo let go in the outside lane. Unfortunately and despite best efforts to retrieve the situation (it was extremely frightening being shrouded in white smoke with vehicles behind) I lost most if not all of my oil in the process which we discovered later had damaged the engine. My lengthy wish list then came into play and it's been re engined with a brand new hybrid tdi oil burner and running in nicely (213000 total miles - 12000 on new motor). It was too nice and rust free to simply scrap. The folks that do my servicing work on tdi taxis with up to 400000 on the clock. Testimony to the build I guess. If I can speak from experience - I'd advise you to keep an eye on turbo seals etc and if anything doesn't sound or look right, over boosts or limp mode kicks in from sticking turbo vanes or spindles - have it changed out. I run mine with molyslip as an oil additive which really looked after it - plus kept very rigidly to regular services. It was a snapped turbo spindle which ruined my day - parts of it were shaken out of the intercooler and back exhaust box (no kidding). Rebuilding it was the best thing I've done :-)

David

160k and still going on mine, and I admit, I abuse the hell out of the old girl. Abuse is nothing, it's the care and attention you give them I find is key to keeping any car going strong

160k and still going on mine, and I admit, I abuse the hell out of the old girl. Abuse is nothing, it's the care and attention you give them I find is key to keeping any car going strong

Totally agree mate :-)

Keep your eye on the oil services and make sure you get the oil pick up pipe checked / either clean or change it apart from that should do many more 10000s

We had Cavaliers, Mondeos and Renault Laguans reach 200k over 20 years ago at my work. By 200k some of the cars were still good, some were completely worn out. We never had an engine failure, although some were getting  a bit loose by that mileage. The Octavia seems better built that a 1990 cavalier, so lasts well. Even the newest Mk1 VRS is 8 years old. Servicing seems the key, and also let them warm up before using the turbo in anger, and let them cool down for a couple of minutes before switching off - to allow the turbo to spin down and cool.

• Like 1

I tend to drive slowly in the Octavia, feels very slow and wallowy compared to the Fabia. Once I get the suspension freshened up and map it'll be better I guess.

Oh that surprises me mate drove a Fabia before I got my octavia I couldn't get on with it but yeah your love it after a decent remap :-)

Apparently VW USA were donated a 500k 1.8T Golf/Rabbit which had been serviced every 9k with VAG oil & filters. When the engine was stripped it showed no signs of wear!

My A4 TDI is on 198k, & running sweeter than ever. :rock:

Mine is on 135,000 so far - no big problems at all, and engine and box wise all seems perfect.

I've run all my cars up to around 200,000, some turbocharged, some not - and never had an engine / turbo failure. I think these vag engines are tough though, if looked after. That seems to be the key. 

In all my cars, as said by others -  I start up, let the motor warm for a minute, then drive uber careful and gently, revs no higher than 2,500 and avoid going uphill or loading the engine until the water temp is at 90. Then I drive normally, using revs but a light throttle for another 15 minutes until the oil is hot.

Then I cane the tits off it :D

Then when I approaching my destination, slow right down, drive gently, and let the engine idle for a minute before shut down. 

Combined with regular oil and filter changes using Mobil 1 and genuine filters.

See my ownership thread here which I posted the other day: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/312570-vrs-1-ownership-round-up-4-years-on/