what stereo should i get

Looking at getting a new stereo for the Octavia want to keep the double din stereo but not sure which one I still would like to keep the rear parking aid but would like the following features

Bluetooth

sat nav

mp3

aux

touch screen

keep the use of the multi changer in the boot if possible

any suggestions

p.s it is for a 2006 skoda Octavia elegance

You cant keep the cd changer unless you get a vag headunit.

You will keep the beeping but it wont mute the stereo or show any images unless, as above you get a vag stereo or one designed with use in vag cars in mind

Whats your budget? The price of double din units vary massively

...no bluetooth

This would though:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321362172036?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

...auto-changer and be hit-and-miss. However, you gain SD-card (kinda rendering an autochanger redundant), has DAB and the possibility of a reversing camera.

No hard-disk for music, but again SD-card more than makes up for that (see how much "fun" people have transferring music onto a 510 ;) )

Other parts requried (even for RNS510):

New fascia (less than a tenner)

Microphone

GPS unit (also less than a tenner)

You'd need a DAB aerial for the 315 though (£21.58 from dabonwheels)

This one is on for bidding:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111328851287?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

• Like 1

You'll need to replace the CAN Gateway as well, which you'll have to budget around 80quid for, assuming you will change it yourself, which is pretty straight forward on an 06 as it's just behind the glovebox.

Can we press pause on the CAN Gateway replacement thing for a RNS315 for a moment, please. :) :)

I've just installed RNS315 into a 2007 Scout, (Saturday).....so far there has been no battery drain issue. IIRC Columbus can drain a battery overnight.

If everyone is prepared to wait a few days, I'll happily report back on this.

It's common knowledge that Columbus (RNS510) has the issue, but given the relative lack of Amundsens/+'s/RNS310/RNS315 that are out there, am quite willing to let mine sit, see what happens and report back.

I'd hate to put anyone through some unnecessary expense. :)

and would that work no problem or would I still need to get some one with vcds

Should fit in and run (as long as you get the code). There have been a few that have BT, but not activated, 2 minutes with VCDS sorts that out.

If RNS315 has BT: there is a MAC Code on the label on the side. As long as this doesn't read 00:00:00:00:00:00 it will have BT (even if not activated.)

A single round black connector towards the top is DAB aerial. No connector =  no DAB

A rectangular connector roughly in the middle is the reverse camera connector. No connector = no RVC option

My install has gone ok with one exception: the 315 works 100% fine, but VCDS won't talk to it. If coding is required, it may have to be done in another, later, car or require the CANBus updating. (An expensive way to go for a one-off coding though.................above posting about battery issues aside)

My canbus is 1K0 907 530 K, which I think was the earliest which didn't have the drain issue, so the experiment may well be all for nowt anyway.

If this is the case then you could try a 315 and see if you get the drain issue and pickup a "K" here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Golf-Mk5-Audi-Seat-Skoda-Can-Bus-Gateway-Module-1K0907530K-1K0-907-530-K-/221419048547?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item338d9a8e63

(Less that £40 delivered)

The general consensus is that an L revision gateway is required to avoid all battery drain issues with all stereos including the Columbus.

So if upgrading then go for at least an L revision just to be sure.

Just a quick update......so far so good. The car sits for 12-14 hours overnight on the driveway and starts without issue. :)

Sounds like it might be ok.

The best way to check would be with a volt meter on the battery to see what the voltage is at before starting.

Phil

Hello everyone

I have a 06 Octavia 2 with the factory fitted audience cd changer. I have contemplated swapping it out for a touchscreen for a few years now, but did not get around to do it for some reason or other. Now, I've decided to go for an Android 2-din head unit (which looks like an oversized RNS510). Do I need to replace my canbus module to prevent battery drain issues? I scanned the car with VCDS and have found out that my can bus is a 1K0 907 530F - will it need to be replaced? If yes, will it require coding? Also, are VW and Skoda canbuses interchangable (if I get a VW canbus, can I install that?)

Another thing I was wondering was if these units can fit into the existing face plate in the car? (here is a picture of the unit I was considering:)

D5eLlUk.jpg

Cheers

GG

If it does need replacing, it will need coding. The CANBus controller  has a list of other controllers that are installed. As far as I know VW/Skoda CANBus controllers are the same.

This (whilst being about a Golf) may help.....

http://www.my-gti.com/2296/can-bus-gateway-removing-installing-and-upgrading-volkswagen-golf

• Like 1