Air Con Radiator Protecter - Skoda Part-

It clips directly onto the aircon condenser itself rather than the grille. The downside is it only protects the bottom half of the condenser, hence me also putting mesh behind the lower grille on mine.

It clips directly onto the aircon condenser itself rather than the grille. The downside is it only protects the bottom half of the condenser, hence me also putting mesh behind the lower grille on mine.

Thanks for that Nick, " Do the clips push into the Fins on the Radiator ?"

Question as it seems to only cover half of the condenser according to that ETKA diagram, Nick74 - do you think that you could fit two (maybe with a bit of trimming) ?

You can fit 2, one at the bottom and one at the top which leaves a gap in the middle which apperes to be protected by the section between the top and lower grill  ( Slam Panal ? )

I've been disgusing this with Denis ( DGW ) I'll let you know the outcome. According to Denis once you fit the clips into the condenser you can't take them back out, or that seems to be the case

I must admit if I was doing this again I wouldn't bother with the official parts at all. As I mentioned on the other thread I think you could arguably do a better job of keeping debris out by covering the back of the lower grille with some cheap plastic gutter grid held with cable ties.

In my case it appeared that both times the damage had come from something going through the large gaps between the slats in the lower grille (below bumper level) rather than the bonnet grille.

I must admit if I was doing this again I wouldn't bother with the official parts at all. As I mentioned on the other thread I think you could arguably do a better job of keeping debris out by covering the back of the lower grille with some cheap plastic gutter grid held with cable ties.

Does the lower grill just pull out nick?

Does the lower grill just pull out nick?

Not sure, I didn't actually take the grille out, I just cut a piece of gutter grid roughly to fit, then with the bonnet open slipped it down behind the grille, then fastened it from the front with cable ties. Its not an absolutely perfect fit to the grille, but you'd have to lay down on the ground in front of the car to see it!

Did mine with aluminium mesh from B+Q,and the difference,its night and day,no crap on the condenser,where as before every time I washed the car I would have to wash the bits of fly etc from the condenser,and it does keep the stones out too,done both top and bottom.

Yes the bottom does pull out,take the end bits off and pull like hell and it comes off eventually,just drilled small holes in the panels and used small cable ties to attach.

Trev

SO I just pull the lower plastic grill out, cut up some mesh and tie it to the back of the trim and then shove it back right? At the same time I can clean the fins on the condenser?

• 4 weeks later...

Did mine with aluminium mesh from B+Q,and the difference,its night and day,no crap on the condenser,where as before every time I washed the car I would have to wash the bits of fly etc from the condenser,and it does keep the stones out too,done both top and bottom.

Yes the bottom does pull out,take the end bits off and pull like hell and it comes off eventually,just drilled small holes in the panels and used small cable ties to attach.

Trev

Any chance of sticking a few pics up so I can see what exactly you're protecting and where it is?

My FL Octavia II has a condenser protector fitted as standard from new - as I found out when I went to fit the one I had ordered. :(

My FL Octavia II has a condenser protector fitted as standard from new - as I found out when I went to fit the one I had ordered. :(

Do you still have it?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

The whole genuine protector and clips cost me less than £8 and fitted in less than 2 minutes.

Better than botching it.

Well perhaps ...... but IMHO it isn't necessarily . You can arguably do a better job of protecting the condenser with some mesh behind the grille than by using the genuine part. Having bought the genuine part before I wouldn't bother again and would use mesh if I was doing the job on another Octavia .

Might be an idea to fit a second one above the original protector so that most of the condensor is protected? My issue with the genuine part is it only covers the bottom of the condenser on the Octavia.

On mine the first condenser was holed slightly above where the genuine protector would have reached to !

I brought this issue up of potential damage on the mk111 forum as the lower grille is even bigger holes in it than the mk11.

Think I had better get mine done asap.

The cheap/painted mesh sounds like they route I will take, thanks.