XL Rated Tyres- What Tyre Pressures to Use?

gregoir

I do not want to carry any extra load, I've just ended up with XL rated tyres on my Octavia due to availability. I'm running on the standard pressures as specified on the fuel cap. The online advice, including that from tyre suppliers, seems to refer to upping the pressures to carry heavy loads.

Am I OK to stick with standard pressures?

I've had XL rated tyres on my car for some years and I've always run them at the standard pressures given on the fuel filler.

Higher pressures are sometimes quoted for when the car is actually heavily laden, not for when XL tyres are fitted.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I run at 34 all round.

On a side note as we have answered the original question...

Is there a downside to XL tyres? I've ran XL since new and always ordered XL as that's what it came with.

Like the idea that the side is reinforced, helps when zooming round the bends? Esp on track where I have a little wear on the tyre shoulder, mines a Diesel and its probably heavy to be lobbing round bends at warp factor 10 on the track - For a family car its impressive all the same.