Samsung Galaxy S5 working with Columbus?

Anyone tested out the Bluetooth connectivity of Samsung SG5 and the Columbus yet? If not I will in 3-4 weeks. The SG5 works with my old car so should be golden.

Edited by Steveh3
  • Like 2

I've got a nexus 5 running android 4.4.2 and it works a treat. Phone calls, music streaming from Google play music or Spotify with the album artwork etc. Sometimes it gets a little crackly but from what I can gather that's just a Bluetooth audio issue in general.

I forget if mine is the Bolero or the Columbus, in any case its the standard fit in my Mk3 Vrs and my S5 works a treat, (My S3 didn't !!!!)

Yeah nice one thanks for confirming.

I work in mobility, I use an O2 branded Note 3 with KitKat in my O3 with Amundsen and it works fine as far as I can tell.

Id be surprised if the chipset in the S5 differed a great deal from the Note 3, particularly from a Bluetooth perspective; that said Samsung obviously butcher the virgin KitKat ROM for their own purposes as do the operators on their devices; they can therefore introduce bugs with OS tweaks and revisions; par of the course with smartphones sadly.

in car Bluetooth compatibility and standards has come on alot in recent times though; just two/three years ago whether a handset would work in a BT enabled car was a lottery.

....also the cars firmware can play a part. Mine is a Jan 2014 build so has (i believe) the latest firmware; full KitKat support on older 2013 cars could be an issue and may need an infotainment FW update. Someone with an older O3 might be able to confirm.

My (Three) Note 3, with KitKat works ok with my Amundsen (built March ' 14) but not as well as my wife's sim free S3. I don't get the contact pics (not bothered) and streaming from Google Play Music can be flaky from my handset, but works fine with Mrs gt40's. 

Anyone confirm if you can navigate songs from the Columbus screen when connected with BT using the Spotify and other music player apps? Plan on leaving my G5 in the phonebox as much as possible.

....also the cars firmware can play a part. Mine is a Jan 2014 build so has (i believe) the latest firmware; full KitKat support on older 2013 cars could be an issue and may need an infotainment FW update. Someone with an older O3 might be able to confirm.

My car with came with the very first Columbus firmware on it, 0101, and BT was terrible - on 3 different phones I got really crackly BT audio. On some phones (especially iPhones) it was fine. Firmware is now 0202 and all the crackliness has gone away. Latest firmware I have seen to date on a Columbus is 0292, but the last car i saw with a Columbus came off the production line Jan 14. There could be a newer firmware out there now.

Got a S5 yesterday pairs but won't sync the phonebook even with the app? All contacts are on the sim card?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

It may be that you need to manage your phonebook in the phone software itself; as the phonebook handles all the metadata (names, emails, photos) it will send to the car while SIM storage has and always will be very basic. Using Google contacts on mine (both work and personal) and it works fine. The Nexus 5 is hard at showing what is actually on the SIM though but think all got synced to my gmail account anyway even the dodgy operator ones.

Try creating a new entry in the standard phonebook or migrating one user to it, add a photo and re-testing.

Put my old sim card in and worked fine. So not phone or car fault. Think its a sim card error. I have tried with the contacts on the phone also which doesn't help

Why do you insist on holding your contacts on the sim card? It's a bit last century.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I don't just the way I transferred from old to new phone. Even with contacts on the phone it still doesn't make a difference

From speaking to EE they and myself agree it's the sim card. Does anyone else have an EE 4G sim card that works with Rsap?