Feel so disappointed In my vrs....

I've always used forte fuel treatment when changing my fuel filters, never had any issues so will continue to use it I guess.

Got my intercooler from Matt tonight so will have it fitted tomorrow :)

Enjoyed my drive home tonight so starting to think there might be some hope yet!

I do alot of motorway miles (1100 since last Tuesday!!) and I'd love the long box!! I hate it revving at 2500 at 80 :(

I do about 700 miles a week mainly motorway and dual carriage ways.  Mines sits at 80 @2500rpm in 5th, put it into 6th and it sits at 2k, if i want to put your foot down i have to drop back down (its get me to a higher speed quicker than waiting for 6th to get me there).  Utterly useless at 2k and below throughout all the gears so i have to take it to 2.5-3k before i change gear and thats not booting it, thats casual driving.  Because i have to take it to those rpm's in every gears i find my fuel economy  isn't as good as my mates either.  I find it just lacks between 800-2500.....my old 206hdi ( :bandit: ) had more grunt up to 2000rpm haha. Before Fabroka done the map OMG!!!!! i was proper disappointed after going from my mates to mine.  Before i even washed it i'd had it mapped.

Its been mapped, thats about it apart from a catch can and EGR has been mapped out.  Its serviced a LOT due to the miles i do.  Don't get me wrong, when i plant my hoof down she goes like buggery but i normally drive at around the 2.5 mark to keep the power in.  All my mates say mine is faster than their's but they can afford to drive in a much much lower rev range than i can.

Jesus what a depressing thread!

Get an SE, paint the wheels black, lower it, stick a cupra spitter on it, remap it, bang an s2000 cone on it, chop the back box out I challenge you to look at the reflection of it in shop windows and not smile..

I've had three people checking my car out this week alone, literally walking round it in a car park one of them, court them as I was walking up to it. Personally, I reckon if your getting bored of your vRS, either, you haven't done the subtle mods that Skoda should have done, or you've had it longer than I have :L because I still LOVE rubbing my MPG figures in the face of my mates who cant out run me in their fast petrol's :D  

• Like 1

Yep it is depressing. !

Even at over 100K, as mine is unfettled, its still a decent and enjoyable drive ! Never let me down (dratt did I just say that......I best whisper it).

I can either take it steady, or if I want to push it a bit, it does what it needs to.

I'm happiest when I get a chance for it on the motorway cruising at reasonable speed uninterrupted. That really is where the car comes into its "own"

I had a minor issue recently with the suspension after I changed it, that bugged the crap out of me but sorted.

In fact I had a tiny creak from the rear springs a fortnight ago starting to bug me again which actually went away recently, other than that I'm all bliss with mine at the moment. Its my daily driver to work and never let me down !

I think the new tyres purchase makes a big difference too (Uni RS3s).

Hence the key is to keep on top of stuff that makes you fall out of love and do something about it - bit like a relationship lol. If that is the point you feel you have to sell then I respect that too.

because I still LOVE rubbing my MPG figures in the face of my mates who cant out run me in their fast petrol's :D

I used to have a remapped vRS. In black of course, the only good colour.

It was a great car for what it was, I took it on track back when I was allowed to 

participate in such things, threw it around the country lanes nearby for years and had 

a lot of fun in it. I particularly enjoyed modding it as many here also do. 

I now have a 'fast petrol' (also in black...) , and it wouldn't struggle against a stage 1

Fabia at all, either in terms of handling, acceleration or braking. The car I have now

has it beat on all three counts in standard form. It's also why I'm getting rid, it's too fast.

And too easy to go fast... in all weathers really too.   

Your mates must think they have fast petrols... :p

And when you're old like me and get insured on a 265bhp car for

a couple of hundred quid a year you don't worry so much about MPG either. 

That said, when I get rid of my S3 later in the year I'll be going for something 

a little less powerful, a little newer, and not VAG at all. But will still struggle to see

30+mpg without driving it like my nan. :D But going back to front wheel 

drive with almost the same amount of power I have now will make for some

interesting moments. The sad truth is, unless I'm doing three figures in the Audi 

it's just plain boring and too capable. Which for me has been its undoing. 

But I'll definitely be buying another petrol engined car again. My van is diesel

and I go most places in that anyway, so for me, driving the car (or bike) should be a bit of

an occasion or what's the point of having them?  

For now I'm more interested in bikes. Just making some changes to my house

so I can store one securely and safely.  Then I'm away bike shopping with 4 grand

to burn...

Now if you want HIGH (pretty much any hot hatch murdering) performance

and good MPG and more of a thrill than you'll EVER get in a car even at

comparitively modest speeds maybe there's where to look if you're not already a biker that is. 

Jesus what a depressing thread!

Get an SE, paint the wheels black, lower it, stick a cupra spitter on it, remap it, bang an s2000 cone on it, chop the back box out I challenge you to look at the reflection of it in shop windows and not smile..

I've had three people checking my car out this week alone, literally walking round it in a car park one of them, court them as I was walking up to it. Personally, I reckon if your getting bored of your vRS, either, you haven't done the subtle mods that Skoda should have done, or you've had it longer than I have :L because I still LOVE rubbing my MPG figures in the face of my mates who cant out run me in their fast petrol's :D

your mates can't have fast petrols

Yes there is, it's always looking filthy and drives it's owner mad :(

:thumbup::rofl:  Your not wrong mate

I can see what your saying with the original post but I do feel sometimes some people expect more from the vRS than what it actually is. As standard they hardly set the world on fire and even @ stage 1 most modern hot hatches can show it up. Traction isn't brilliant and the handling leaves a LOT to be desired, especially if you come from having hot hatch's like I did.

That being said, I found mine to be BETTER than expected. It was certainly no let down and I honestly expected it to be crap compared to my previous cars. OK so it's not that fun to drive, but I didn't expect it to be. It still looks good for an older car, goes well enough to keep me entertained and the running costs are cheap so all in balance, I'm happy with mine.

I should say I'm not really disappointed in the Skoda fabia name, just my new one.

I had a pretty standard red one remapped which felt great.

Got this silver one with remap, full piper exhaust, decat and it's slower than my previous one...

Must admit I test drove a number of them before settling on mine and there were a few that felt a bit wanting, didn't pull like I'd expect or had other issues. Your old one may have just been a good strong example.

Having said that it could be a dodgy map on there or a map that isn't getting the best from the supporting mods. Have you got access to VCDS so you can diagnose things and get a graph of the requested boost vs actual boost? Could be worth paying someone for an afternoon of their time and seeing if anything comes up if not. Boost leaks are very common, I know mine leaks slightly from the bottom IC hose and it's on my to do list to sort out all the pipes before I go ahead and have it mapped.

Well comparing a fabia vrs to an Audi s3 is somewhat ridiculous, perhaps I underestimated how literal you guys would get regarding me showing up mates with fast petrols, please understand that it's only in short blasts not a full race where of course they have the high end speed, talking in terms of the shear amount of torque these cars have. At no point did I try and tell you it's better than an Audi s3.

I was merely showing my pride in owning my car. It's not bad for my age. Bloody good in fact, if you want all your performance, handling etc then yeah your in the wrong forum and the fabia won't suit you. Nor if you drive a diesel van everywhere. But some people don't. Sorry I spoke, just thought someone should drop a bit of pride into a negative thread thats attracted s3 drivers to for some reason try to belittle me and the car in my ownership by unfairly comparing it against a car that's a half/ third of the value.

• Like 2

Well it's not ridiculous to compare the two is it?

Not for me at least, my last car was a Fabia vRS, I did also say I loved it. In fact there's

still a large framed photograph of it on my conservatory wall even today.

I kept it for 4 years and loads of fun and good times in it, Ithat's twice as long as

I'll have kept the Audi. I have zero emotion about selling 

the S3 and I was properly gutted to get rid of the Fab, even though

at the time I knew I was moving to a much more capable car in the Audi. 

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Audi is faster but the Fabia felt faster

even though it wasn't. That's not to say you can't make one of them go

like absolute stink. Bossfoxes 2009 LE was a monster and looked pretty

standard and beat some very surprised performance cars at Santa Pod.

But a stage 1 map on these at best only gives them the midrange power

and grunt of a big dirty great 3 litre petrol repmobile but without the 155mph top

end to match.  That's why they feel so fast I suppose

The thing is although the Audi is a faster car it's not as much fun 

to drive, you just plant your foot and whoosh you're off, real quick and

no drama. You can go everywhere like the clappers all the time and 

it's not until you get into 100 plus that it starts getting challenging. 

I preferred the theatre of the Fabia, the feathering the throttle

to keep the front wheels from spinning, the understeer in the wet LOL

and just having something to do.

I wasn't mugging your car off, I was just pointing out that they aren't as fast 

as they feel. But they are good fun to drive, I had a right laugh in mine. 

All I will say in the favour of the S3 is it's re ignited my love of revs.

So I won't go back to diesel for my next car, even though the power is

in a more useable place I'm still going to be looking for a 200bhp+

standard power front or rear drive with a petrol engine but

definitely not 4 wheel drive again. I want some drama again when 

I have a blat, and the S3 is too sterile and lacking in feel for my taste. 

I don't know if all 4 wheel drives are the same, but it's most likely going 

to be front wheel drive again next.  And definitely not a VAG car, my last 

4 have been all been VAG and I'm a bit bored with them tbh. 

I had a Mk3 golf GTI 8v, then a VW Bora 2.0 then the Fabia then the Audi.

Out of the 4, I liked the Fabia the best, then the Golf, then the Bora

and in last place the Audi.  

Sorry if you thought I was having a go, I wasn't. 

Grr666- sounds like you'd be at home in a clio 200 for a fun revvy car!

I loved my first fabia..i was absolutley gutted when i sold it! Always kept an eye out to see where it was and it was just fate that everytime it popped up for sale i didnt have the funds!

I agree with grr in a sense that a fast petrol just doesnt have the same drama unless your at illegal speeds! My astra vxr was tame until you were flat out...but then i was filling up every two minutes!

Im just glad that ive got my new fabia and its got everything i could want without having to tinker with it too much!....although rarb is next on the list!

To the OP like you said..i think once youve put your own mark on the car and made it yours you'll be much happier!

Edited by thewilfmeister

:thumbup:

I took all four wheels off mine today and polished the pink SE calipers back to the original red :)

Noticed my bottom ic boost hose is leaking oil so got a new clip and seal to go in.

Small things seem to make a big difference.

Hutchys....see what I mean, keep investing a little love (doesn't always have to be a lot, whatever you can manage), get a lot back :love:

Glad to hear you managed to sort out a few issues. Often it's the simple things that people overlook when they feel their car isn't running right and they are often a free/cheap fix! Sounds like you'll be back in love with it in no time!

• 3 weeks later...

Thought id bring this back up again after something that happened today!

Im on my second vrs after i had so much fun in my first one i just thought i needed to get one again!

Its been sentimental and a real novelty to have one again but after a month or so...im a bit..meh

I dont know whether its because the first time i had one it was the fastest car id ever had..now being older and experiencing better build quality..cars that are much faster...then coming back...the shine has gone?

Was at the mini dealership sorting swmbo's private plate and for a laugh the dealer let me take a mini jcw gp out..no back seats..full diffuser..and it blew my socks off!

After that i got back in my car and went for a drive and i just felt so underwhelmed...i know its becuase the mini is a fantastic bit of kit but im not sure what i can do with the fabia to get the thrill back? Hmmmmmmmm

Um yes you are talking about 2 completely different classes, its daft to compare !!! So why are you !! If you can't accept it for what it is (standard, or sooped up a wee bit with mods) then yes, you outgrew the car and should look elsewhere.

Just to put into focus.....

1) Mini JCW GP = 1598cc, 4cyl, FWD, 218bhp, 207lb ft, 39.8mpg, 165 g/km CO2, 0-62mph in 6.3secs, 150mph, 1235kg ££££££30K

2) vRS = less than £12K, stats generally a lot subordinate to the above consequently !!!

Sorry but had to state the obvious.......

Its probably the same kind of performance difference feel whereby I get in a M/C. The vRS is nippy but never going to match when I have the throttle WFO on my bike. Neither is the JCW by the way (but would be quick enough to give me a scare if I was on my bike).

However that will always be superior to a car to me in so many ways, and so much cheaper, that aspiring to the same level of performance gets very, very expensive. Hence for what the vRS does, as a practical car, really adds up for me as more than the sum of its parts.

Its quite classic in its layout now though, even when the plastics etc were released they were immediately dated, so if you are looking for shiny shiny new then look elsewhere.