Vrs performance/economy on different drive modes

As per topic, did anyone actually do a proper comparison between driving modes?

I would be interested to see what are mpg's and 0-62 in different drive modes on new vrs.

Thanks in advance.

The drive mode simply alters the throttle response and weight of the steering (ignoring other things like the air con that don't affect the drive!).

I can drive my 120d in 'Sport' mode and get better mpg than I do in 'Eco' mode... it all depends how lead footed you are, no matter what mode you're in.

• Like 1

The drive mode simply alters the throttle response and weight of the steering (ignoring other things like the air con that don't affect the drive!).

I can drive my 120d in 'Sport' mode and get better mpg than I do in 'Eco' mode... it all depends how lead footed you are, no matter what mode you're in.

[sorry for the double-post... stupid wifi crapping out]

Edited by WiggosSidsburns

Your mpg has improved because it has altered the throttle response, so it's compensating for your otherwise lead footedness ;-)

The mode doesn't actually alter the engine to make it any more fuel efficient - to do that you need something like cylinder on demand technology.  I agree that the mode does help you to be more efficient (or conversely more sporty) - but your driving style will make a bigger difference.

Edited by WiggosSidsburns

Ah..

I asked as I test drove Nissan Juke a while ago and it also had different drive modes. When changing in between them you could clearly notice change, ie in eco engine was way less responsive, car accelerated much slower which would improve mpg too I guess.

That not the case with octavia vrs then?

All it does it change the pedal depress % vs the engine power %

So in normal 50% pedal depress is 50% throttle.

Eco it's different, as an example, 50% pedal depress is 30% throttle.

Don't know what the exact numbers are but you get the idea :)

Anthony and Wiggos are correct. The 0-62 times will also be identical if performed under identical conditions, since if you floor it in Eco it will override the setting and give you everything the car's got.

The best is to use Eco in town and/or slow traffic and keep the S-S engaged for stop lights and such. You will notice the mpg increase that way. Eco doesn't do much at steady cruise on a motorway lets say.

The best "mode" selection is in your brain.

PS: This will be even more obvious on manual cars compared to DSG equipped ones. Since you can be in Eco on a manual and still change at 4-5000 rpm, if you so desire. :)

Edited by TudorM

But the different air con operation will save fuel and with the dsg the different gear change points will trade performance for mpg (I think.... Not sure though as I have a manual on order)

I haven't got a VRS (sorry) but until Eco mode nearly got me side swiped and I stopped using it then on my commute to work...

Best mpg was using 'normal' mode, worst was using 'sport' and eco was somewhere in between. 

I did this over multiple near identical journeys in each mode and recorded the best seen on each.

Just leave it in normal for 90% of the time now with sport for the other 10%.

Mode selection is more controllable with a manual gearbox.

I have a VRS TSI dsg and have to say when set to sport, my 0-60 times seem a little sharper, this though largely down to the fact that the steering weights up nicely to help you keep it on a decent straight path while pushing forward. 

So far I have to say that I leave it mainly in normal mode with SS activated as it does everything so well that you don't need the different modes really. Best eco run was 43mpg and worse so far has been 33mpg in sport, guess which one was the more fun!!

I haven't got a VRS (sorry) but until Eco mode nearly got me side swiped and I stopped using it then on my commute to work...

Best mpg was using 'normal' mode, worst was using 'sport' and eco was somewhere in between. 

I did this over multiple near identical journeys in each mode and recorded the best seen on each.

Just leave it in normal for 90% of the time now with sport for the other 10%.

Mode selection is more controllable with a manual gearbox.

And don't we know it. Just give it some "welly" and you won't find yourself so vulnerable to being side swiped, better still just improve your level of judgement.

• Like 1

Personally if the cars came with the sport steering mapping if our cars came without driver mode selection wouldnt unduely bother me.

Eco doesnt make a big difference to MPG, Sport just doesnt work v well in my humble opinion throttle modulation feels so artificial and it doesnt make the car go any better (TDI 150).

I dont like the weighting of the steering in Eco or Normal so I have mine permanently set to Individual with Sports steering and Normal throttle.

Edited by pipsyp