16 or 17 inch Spiders?

After a lot of deliberation I've decided to upgrade my standard 14 inch Elegance alloys for spiders. Nothing else looks as good in my opinion.

I know that many of the VRS guys have put 17 inch ones on their Fabias but is that a bit too much and how would the ride suffer (if any)?

Glad of any help and advice

Chip

Edited by ChipUK

Thought this was a bit more specific and may get more replies rather than a 'general' alloy discussion.

Your'e lucky to have an SE - I would love one and they really fetch good money eh?

Brilliant forum this.....

Going bigger can ruin the ride/handling/acceleration but only to more extreme sizes. I think 17's are about as big as you should go with a Fabia, I'm rather more satified with 16's. 18's on a mk4 Golf (i did this) are too big, but look great, depends what you want from your car. Looks or drivability is the question.

he 17's look a bit more dramatic in Spider form. 16's Spiders look a bit more ordinary strangely. If it was me, i'd go with 16's and lower it 

Thanks for the replies so far. Not sure about lowering it. Don't want to tinker too much. It's not a VRS!

I think in my own mind i would prefer 16's. Just seems to be more 17's around - unless it's just me?

16s were offered on the very first Octavia VRS hatchbacks and on all Octavia VRS estates.

Those however are outnumbered many times by the number of later hatchbacks that got 17s (which have subsequently then found their way on to all manner of VAG vehicles)

I stuck with 16s on my Fabia VRS as I didn't want to worry about ruining the ride, and I wasn;t going to lower it so didn't want it to look like a rollerskate.

Apart from wheels which has change from standard

IMG_1216.jpg

to silver spiders

IMG_3602.jpg

to black spiders

IMG_6565.jpg

to gold Golf mk4 Montreal2 wheels

IMG_7302.jpg

and a brief stay on Leon track wheels

IMAG0261_zps68f96f6a.jpg

was all done on 16" wheels and 205/45/16 tyres

Like the piccies.  :blush:

Yes 16's it is. I'll have to be patient until a decent set at a decent price is available. Do these just bolt on with no spacers etc necessary?

Also, has anyone had a go at painting the inner/side fins black as a contrast or is this a no no!

Edited by ChipUK

If you're going to spray them anyways you can just buy any old set.

All 3 of my sets were hugely corroded and I just sanded them down and refurbed them.

Leon did the opposite of what you mention on the 17s he put on his mk2 estate

dark spokes and silver outer

IMG_1762.jpg

IMG_1786.jpg

lol! I take it someone's had a mishap??

17's look really good I have to say.

Not sure about the spiders on a Mk 2, they'll have to grow on me I think.

17's without question.

If you are going to lower the car then they massively help avoid scraping believe it or not!

I don't like 16's on the Fabia - definitely too small. I've changed to 17" Spiders both with standard ride height and heavily lowered, and I can honestly say that it didn't affect the ride in any noticeable way.

• Like 1

Just looking at the pictures and the 17's spokes look a lot different - thinner somehow  :wonder:

Definitely the 16's I think. 

This debate could start a war!!

16s were offered on the very first Octavia VRS hatchbacks and on all Octavia VRS estates.

Those however are outnumbered many times by the number of later hatchbacks that got 17s (which have subsequently then found their way on to all manner of VAG vehicles)

I stuck with 16s on my Fabia VRS as I didn't want to worry about ruining the ride, and I wasn;t going to lower it so didn't want it to look like a rollerskate.

Apart from wheels which has change from standard

IMG_1216.jpg

to silver spiders

IMG_3602.jpg

to black spiders

IMG_6565.jpg

to gold Golf mk4 Montreal2 wheels

IMG_7302.jpg

and a brief stay on Leon track wheels

IMAG0261_zps68f96f6a.jpg

was all done on 16" wheels and 205/45/16 tyres

This is the first time I've seen the 16" standard wheels and 17" spiders together in a photograph, I had been hankering after a set of 17's myself but the 16's look better (IMHO) weird or what?

The 17's defo look better in black though!

Edited by Coffin Dodger