Pet hates - Car related

So far I haven't seen anyone get nicked for undertaking, in any country, if its done in a safe and controlled manner. Middle lane hoggers can keep their freaking lane if they want. 

• Like 1

I'm with you on this one.  People park over our drive on a regular basis.  It's a dropped curb, has a single white line across it and normally has at least one car on the drive.  For some reason they think it's okay to pop off to the shops for a while and don't even consider that we may need to get out and about ourselves.  They also seem confused, surprised and sometimes upset when I go out and point out the error of their ways.  I've been late for work, appointments, collecting the children from places and all because these people don't have any consideration for anyone but themselves. 

:wall:

This happens to us sometime too. I've always wanted, but never had the opportunity, too park two of our cars so close that they can't move, and then just pretend to be out. (We can drive over the grass to out if we have too.)

Another thing I hate (and I'll try to keep this away from buses in general (no offence Matt!)) but is: a) the 280 line bus to Oxford that I always fear getting stuck behind when driving to work and B) the school buses that genuinely look older than me that drive half of my route from home to work at about 0700 to get from the depot to a school to pick up kids. This wouldn't be too bad if they ever ventured over 40mph (in 50s and 60s), but they don't.

A massive queue of traffic builds up every day behind them, but they never pull over to let people past or anything. They don't have an passengers, so not like they would loose time. :(

• Like 1

Ahhhh, the 280, my favourite route lol. There are a few bits where the bus stops are on the main road, I guess rush hour it'll be a pain because traffic coming the other way will never be stopping to let you out. On the plus side, at least they're new(ish) buses and get up to 50/60mph when there's room. The ****ty old school buses are a pain in the arse though, even in a service bus they hold you up. They normally use something near to being scrapped on school runs and take forever at every bloody stop. 

One i had yesterday while behind a car on the motorbike with my visor up (stopped at the lights) when the driver infront, with a badly aimed wiper jet hit me straight in the head.

I know he didnt do it on purpose, he just didnt think.

On the plus side, a quick wipe of the glove when i put my visor down got some flys off haha.

Guest BigJase88

I parked in disabled today

It was either that or poop myself! Literally just made it to the toilet. My apologies ( i felt bad ) but needs must

Ahhhh, the 280, my favourite route lol. There are a few bits where the bus stops are on the main road, I guess rush hour it'll be a pain because traffic coming the other way will never be stopping to let you out. On the plus side, at least they're new(ish) buses and get up to 50/60mph when there's room. The ****ty old school buses are a pain in the arse though, even in a service bus they hold you up. They normally use something near to being scrapped on school runs and take forever at every bloody stop. 

Yeah - the dual carriage way part of the A40 being one of them (whose idea was that?!), where I've seen a few near misses as people slam on/change lanes to avoid the bus. There's just no room for them to get out safely, so something's got to give. (I don't blame the bus for this, but the stop placement)

They must take a lot of room to reach 60 then ;) And there's been a lot of break downs the last couple of weeks (maybe the same bus, I dunno). Must be annoying for the passengers though!

The one on the way into Oxford on the left hand bend I refused to stop at (without sounding like a jobs worth), there is no way on earth I'm going to get out of that stop safely into 70mph traffic. MK is the same with bus stop placements. They'll put them a few meters after the exit of a roundabout on a 60mph road. Even if I indicate, wait for a gap in the small amount of road I can see and pull out into it, I'm lucky to get half way out before a car comes round the bend at anywhere between 30 & 50mph. Most will brake and I'll give them the flashy flashy to say thanks but you'll get a few who expect you to see round bends and give you abuse/honk the horn. Put the stops on a safe bit of road and 90% of the problem is gone. I dunno who designs these roads tbh lol. 

Believe it or not, a decent running Enviro will get to 50-60mpg pretty speedy tbh, once you have one with a iffy adblue pump and/or slippy gearbox and fill it with 90 passengers its another story though lol. 

Edited by matt1chelski
  • Like 1

Cars being made to look like something they aren't. e.g. a 520d with an M badge on.

All new BMW M-Sports now come either m badges on the sides. Doesn't look great. But then they are M Sport models.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

just a small pet hate, when you give some one a lift they get out and bang on the roof or on the side of my work van !!

All new BMW M-Sports now come either m badges on the sides. Doesn't look great. But then they are M Sport models.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As naff as they look, I was referring to DIY jobs not factory fit badges.

5series_faker_zps6d176751.jpg

• Like 1

SWMBO hates me for this but I'll often move from lane 1 to three, pass them then go back to lane 1. Surprising how many folk realise their error and go to lane 1 when I check the mirror :D

Same as that, I also even though it's frowned upon and all that do the occasional bit of undertaking, not in a dangerous way but just to remind them that the inside lane is there to be used.

People who do not understand the importance of indicating. My mate is one of them, and I always mention it whenever he is driving.

JRJG

Not aimed at you Jrjg as im sure your right, and indicating is important.

But passengers that tell you how to drive are annoying. Especially when you know your a much better driver than them anyway haha.

Kebab shop owner cars

Range Rover Sports, BMW X6's and Audi Q7's, typically in white, not washed in about a year and ruined with a cheap looking body kit and 22" aftermarket wheels

• Like 2

Cars being made to look like something they aren't. e.g. a 520d with an M badge on.

DIY jobs definitely - but BMW do sell a 520d M Sport.

Oh and another, people that indicate right when they are going straight over a mini or normal roundabout.

Where has this come from? Someone did it in front of me the other day, I went round the inside of them (thinking they were turning right) and they nearly took my bonnet off as they continued straight on. They even moved to the right hand lane

People with no spacial awerness...for example when there is a car parked at the side of the road with a car comin towards you whoch has moved over so that there is plenty room too squeeze through but nooooo the car infront of you has to slam the brakes on suddenly because they think their daewoo shoe box cant fit through a gap big enough for a jumbo jet

People who don't know the size of their own car really annoy me. They sit out from the parked car so that they can see and let oncoming traffic through - therefore two cars can fit through past the parked car. I never thank people who do this.

SWMBO hates me for this but I'll often move from lane 1 to three, pass them then go back to lane 1. Surprising how many folk realise their error and go to lane 1 when I check the mirror :D

Also surprising how many don't :wall:

Where has this come from? Someone did it in front of me the other day, I went round the inside of them (thinking they were turning right) and they nearly took my bonnet off as they continued straight on. They even moved to the right hand lane

Iv had that a few times.

I dont go next to cars on roundabouts anymore. I either shoot infront, or hang back.

You just cant predict what some people are going to do

• Like 1

Other drivers who think the lanes painted on larger roundabouts are purely there for decoration.

As already mentioned, those who tailgate and refuse to overtake... those who bomb it on straight bits, only to slow to a crawl for anything that's not straight

I don't have a problem with cyclists on the whole, but large groups racing on country lanes/A roads are incredibly dangerous.

People who drive around town after in their souped up hatchbacks incredibly slowly, as if they're cruising for b*tches or something.

Drivers who undertake when there is nowhere to go, forcing them to slam on the brakes and try a crazy suicide manoeuvre almost taking me with them.

Folks who wait until I'm almost at a junction before pulling out in front of me, forcing me to slam on the brakes to avoid an accident. You can almost always guarantee that said person will then take the next turn off left/right. 

People who seem to park by touch. Living near a school, my car has gradually gained quite a collection of marks/bumps/scrapes due to school rush parents using my car to manoeuvre off.

Folks who think that because they're doing 120 down the third lane, that no-one else should be there, even if they are overtaking.

I could go on... 

Dashboards like mine that don't have a temperature gauge or fuel gauge. with mine now, it's a reference, but each block is a different size and a different amount of fuel so you never really know how much fuel you have in the tank, at least with a gauge you know exactly how much you have left in.

• Like 1

Dashboards like mine that don't have a temperature gauge or fuel gauge. with mine now, it's a reference, but each block is a different size and a different amount of fuel so you never really know how much fuel you have in the tank, at least with a gauge you know exactly how much you have left in.

Iv spent many minutes trying to decide where 3/4, 1/2 and 1/4 is on the gauge.

Each time iv come to the conclusion that it sort of, isnt there.

• Like 2

Iv spent many minutes trying to decide where 3/4, 1/2 and 1/4 is on the gauge.

Each time iv come to the conclusion that it sort of, isnt there.

I know, I end up giving up on the gauge all together and just using the trip to guess at percentages, ooh, another 100 miles left, that's about some bars.

Also the bars are so thick, you could have all the bars full, but could have gone 70 miles from filling up.

70 miles? Iv had 150 miles before dropping a bar. Yet i around 400 (mixed short and decent length trips) miles to a tank. Yet the miles to empty is never very accurate to what i get per tank, time after time.

Its a very bad piece of kit.

Almost bad enough to make me keep a look out for a maxidot dash on ebay.

Iv only got a fuel low light and a trip on the motorbike, and thats fine. Makes far more sense than the fabia dash

Edited by Otaylor38

70 miles? Iv had 150 miles before dropping a bar.

I wasn't saying how many miles I get to the top bar, just giving a number as reference to the fact that you can't tell how far between the top and bottom of the bar it is.