Insurance advice/experiances please

g7pkf

talk to the insurer. i think you have to have a new car to transfer it to. the dvla web site may tell you, but the first port of call should be the insurer because once you've accepted the write-off offer, the car (and it's reg #) is their property. you need to act now on this.

get a VRS then you can drive faster to put the flames out like they do in the films. :)

BH

Only tell them the last recorded mileage figure they can check out, e.g. if your service history wasn't burned in the car and your last service invoice said 100,000 miles only tell them that, even if you were ready for the next service at say 110,000 miles. every little helps and you obviously weren't using the car much in between ;)

Yeh love to do that but a month ago some **** went up the back of me in Mayfair, only minor bumber damage but an insurance job all the same and the repairers noted the mileage!! shame

next car i get i will be buying a 4Kg extinguisher the firebrigade said an extinguisher of 2 or less wasnt worth the money as they would only put out the smallest fire' date='

they also said most car fires an extinguisher is nigh on useless as they are usually either behind the dash or under the bonnet and there advice is if there is a fire under the bonnet do not open it as it will more than likely flame outwards.

Still think ill get one though.

still sad car gone....[/quote']

I saw a 2kg extinguisher in Halford's yesterday. It's BIG. To my knowledge a 4 Kg extinguisher is full sized (ie the type you get at fire exits in buildings).

DON'T hand over your v5c before you get no.plate transfered to retention certificate.If you give your v5c to insurance or scrappers they don't have to give you your no.plate back.Transfer it on retention ready for your next car before you hand over this document.

The second car I ever owned was a Citroen 2CV, which set on fire whilst I was driving down the motorway.

Like you mentioned, my first thought was that there must be a building or some garden rubbish on fire somewhere. It didn't enter my head that it might be the car until I saw the orange glow under the dash.

To this day, if I ever smell burning from a fire or b-b-q etc while I'm driving, I have a small panic and have to look down to check that its not the car!

After 3.5 years and 108K of happy motoring my baby died' date=' i feel like i have lost one of the family at the time i didnt want it to go to some cold yard i was too distraught!

the following occured:-

[url']http://www.packetradio.co.uk/gallery/car[/url]

The good news is that i am fine, the bad news is i have to make an insurance claim and i don't do that very often. I am with a large supermarket company T*****. anyone had any dealings with them and any other advice anyone can give me? I am fully comp with protected no-claims discount.

The officers that attended reckon it was an electrical problem-not sure if i would but another skoda but suspect that this is not a common occurance?

im liking the smoked rear clusters. (no pun intended) :thumbup:

Bad luck, Dean :(

2 things - T**** insurance is actually Direct Line under another name IIRC

You need to get the private plate on a retention certificate so it's yours, before you can transfer it to another car. (someone else already kinda posted this).

Good luck finding a replacement, and fighting the insurance co.

Have already done this after advice from the scrapyard dealer where the car is, He was most helpfull even took photos and printed them out of the vin plate and where the tax disc should be. he then said get the plate put on retension asap, the photos he provided should assist with the transfer etc as in his words "they wont have to come down and inspect the vechil" i was rather shocked by this and he then advised the lady that does the visits was a good friend and she would probarly just make a phone call to confirm then see the vechile when she was passing.

They are located near welwyn garden city herts. 1 alloy has a nearly new (5K) P6000 on it (one of the rears) the spare is brand spanker sub 200Miles (used it when had puncture)..

Pm me for more details