Buying a new Octavia III

First off, I'd like to just say thanks for everyone on the site as I've been lurking for a few months reading though topics and comments of users to get a feel for the Skoda world and it's been very helpful.  But I digress and on to why I've taken the plunge to sign up.

I'm sold on the Octi III after a test drive of the engine I am after and a sit in one with the trim level I want (sadly they sold the demonstrator that had the trim and engine I was after this morning). Now it's time to deal with the hard sell of dealers (my favourite bit). Just a bit curious about the sorts of prices people have been getting on the 0% PCP promo they have running. Having just returned from the dealer I have gotten a quote for the following after experiencing the usual "I'll just speak to the finance manger" rubbish.

Octavia Elegance 2.0 TDI

+ Metalic paint

+ Winter Pack (front seats only)

Deposit of

My car £4200

+ £500 cash

On the road price of £22877

On 42months PCP they have given a price of £206 with a MGFV of £10120 on 10k miles a year and that includes servicing?

As I will be on to another dealers next week should I be pressing harder for an even better price or do people think that figure looks to be good with very little wiggle room.

Most dealers wont offer much if any discount if you take the 0% deal, dealers are having to give up a large part of their margins to fund the losses VWFS are incurring to provide the 0% finance; i think they typically (if its to be believed have about 16% wiggle and this is reduced to about 4-5% if taking finance but they are just approximations.

Dealers selling through the likes of Carwow may give some additional discount as they likely make their margins on volume sales (i.e they make less per vehicle but aim to sell more care of the business generated by these sites)...I expect however there wont be that much additional discount if you take the 0%. Best discounts are attained as a cash buyer.

Try the same configuration on www.carwow.co.uk and see the prices. you will get an idea.

Very good point, I'd looked at them when I first started looking at cars and totally forgot. I'll have a look now and thanks for reminding me.

Most dealers wont offer much if any discount if you take the 0% deal, dealers are having to give up a large part of their margins to fund the losses VWFS are incurring to provide the 0% finance; i think they typically (if its to be believed have about 16% wiggle and this is reduced to about 4-5% if taking finance but they are just approximations.

Dealers selling through the likes of Carwow may give some additional discount as they likely make their margins on volume sales (i.e they make less per vehicle but aim to sell more care of the business generated by these sites)...I expect however there wont be that much additional discount if you take the 0%. Best discounts are attained as a cash buyer.

Pretty much what I expected. I was fairly sure I was in the ball park for the best value for money. I will certainly give the car wow a look again.

I used CarWow and got a deal that was about 6% off the RRP along with 0% PCP. After a bit of discussion my local dealer matched it begrudgingly.

I used CarWow and got a deal that was about 6% off the RRP along with 0% PCP. After a bit of discussion my local dealer matched it begrudgingly.

Same process for me, I looked around and test drove at every local dealer before doing the carwow bit in addition, I changed my spec a couple of times on carwow, only slightly but it keeps the offers coming in & lets the dealer know you're gonna buy its, just up to them whom from.

I got £1,730 off a TSI DSG Elegance in late December & I don't think there was much left in it for dealer.

Regards

T

Mine beat it quite cheerfully.

You should be able to get 6% discount on the 0% PCP

First off, I'd like to just say thanks for everyone on the site as I've been lurking for a few months reading though topics and comments of users to get a feel for the Skoda world and it's been very helpful.  But I digress and on to why I've taken the plunge to sign up.

I'm sold on the Octi III after a test drive of the engine I am after and a sit in one with the trim level I want (sadly they sold the demonstrator that had the trim and engine I was after this morning). Now it's time to deal with the hard sell of dealers (my favourite bit). Just a bit curious about the sorts of prices people have been getting on the 0% PCP promo they have running. Having just returned from the dealer I have gotten a quote for the following after experiencing the usual "I'll just speak to the finance manger" rubbish.

Octavia Elegance 2.0 TDI

+ Metalic paint

+ Winter Pack (front seats only)

Deposit of

My car £4200

+ £500 cash

On the road price of £22877

On 42months PCP they have given a price of £206 with a MGFV of £10120 on 10k miles a year and that includes servicing?

As I will be on to another dealers next week should I be pressing harder for an even better price or do people think that figure looks to be good with very little wiggle room.

Why not ask for your £4200 back in cash and increase the monthly payment to £306?

Your £4200 is better sat in your ISA than it is in VW Finances' bank.

I think there is 14% margin in the before VAT price, and the finance is costing them 6%. 6.5% discount on 0% PCP is probably the best you will get. Remember to take the cost of the car and options before VAT, take 6.5% off of that, add VAT and the fixed cost for delivery and PDI and RFL to get your OTR price.

I took delivery of my new vRS last week and got about 13% off for a cash buy I also took a quote from car wow to my dealer and they matched it . I paid less than what you are paying for an Elegance for my vRS. If you take the finance option the dealer has to finance this which is about 6% . Always contact a few dealers and be specific what you want and tell them you are ready to do the deal today if the price is right. If you need the name of the dealer I use message me for info they have been really good throughout the whole buying process and I could not beat their price anywhere.

Why not ask for your £4200 back in cash and increase the monthly payment to £306?

The accountant in me knows that this is very sensible indeed. Sound advice.

I think there is 14% margin in the before VAT price, and the finance is costing them 6%. 6.5% discount on 0% PCP is probably the best you will get. Remember to take the cost of the car and options before VAT, take 6.5% off of that, add VAT and the fixed cost for delivery and PDI and RFL to get your OTR price.

I'd agree. Most dealers offered me no discount asking me why they should when they were already over their quota by selling only at full price. They also warned that anyone offering big discounts may have far exceeded their quota meaning a long wait before they can even declare your vehicle as an order to the factory.

I think in the end I managed about 5% saving with interest free, servicing and good p/x price meaning cash back with a very low deposit.

More a case for me of wanting to get a decent low monthly figure that's neither insanely expensive nor excessively cheap, having been told I was being made redundant once in my life before the age of 25, I think carefully about financing anything and £200 is possible to work with in our household even if the situation transpired that I took a large pay hit again.

After looking at Carwow, it seems a little more pushing can be done, but the great thing is that a similarly close by dealer has offered a lower starting figure so even if the one I visited can't match it I just have to put a few extra miles in to get a better deal that will offer me a good saving.

One final thing as I cant find any reference to it, other than it appear to be a MY15 extra. The Sport style pack - Black and Sport style pack - Silver, I can see a text description but I can't for the life of me find any images or renders of what they look like on the current Octavia. I quite fancy adding them to add to the look of the car but I don't want to order it unless I know I think it will look good. Anyone know where I can get a look at some images of both packs and what they offer.

OK, people can ignore my request for details about the sports packs, not worth it seemingly as it's not really anything exciting other than an extended lip on the hatch. Some decent images of what appears to be included I've tracked down on the skoda latvia website.

http://www.skoda.lv/files/accessories/octavia.pdf

Bits are all on pages 4-7.

I find that Alex Lawrie in Liverpool and D M Keith in Bradford offer the most discount via carwow.

That might just be because they are both within about 30 miles of me though, so reckon they are more likely to get my business.

You could also try drivethedeal.com. 

Ive just read the section on Budget, which include information on finance deals.

I've no connection with the site just a skoda owner interested in the thread.

HTH

You could also try drivethedeal.com. 

Ive just read the section on Budget, which include information on finance deals.

I've no connection with the site just a skoda owner interested in the thread.

HTH

Thanks for that, I'd gotten a quote for the best price but completely missed the finance button, I've just put a request through. Looking forward to seeing what they quote.

• 4 weeks later...

OK, people can ignore my request for details about the sports packs, not worth it seemingly as it's not really anything exciting other than an extended lip on the hatch. Some decent images of what appears to be included I've tracked down on the skoda latvia website.

http://www.skoda.lv/files/accessories/octavia.pdf

Bits are all on pages 4-7.

I have looked in to the availability of these sports packs for the hatch and was initially told by SUK that they were not available however the sports style pack option now appears on the configurator and UK price list at about £340. It's the pack on the right in the PDF in the link above. Black wing mirrors, boot spoiler and side foils. As I understand it the pack on the left (front and rear spoiler etc) is not available in the UK.

Hawk 17" wheels are only available as part of this pack.

The Elegance looks a little dull for my taste (coming from a vRS) so I think this is the way for me although the dealers I have spoken to have poor product knowledge and don't seem to know of a sports pack existence!

HTH, cheers

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Got my new Octy Elegance through Carfile.net and at Sandicliffe Skoda Nottingham including free trucking from Notts to Cornwall for a saving of £3,500.  My local dealer in Cornwall offered me a "Good customer discount", second Skoda bought from them and all servicing carried out by them, of £500.  Only two Skoda dealers in Cornwall