End of warranty approaching...things to check?

Ooopnorth

My warranty is due to end in August and I'm about to book the car into a local skoda dealers in order to have the electrically heated seats fixed (the driver's side now only heats up the back rest) and also to have the electric demister in the driver's side mirror fixed.  Otherwise the car seems fine.  

However, can anyone suggest anything else that I might consider checking (or I might have overlooked) that I can usefully take advantage of the final few months of the warranty before it's too late? (1.8 4x4 Elegance 61 reg)?

• Like 1

I was in vehicle rental for 38 years and regularly checked them as the warranty was coming to an end - good plan!

If you're having it serviced then faults should be noticed by the technician, alternatively you could get a friend to test drive it ( insurance permitting ) for an objective assessment.

With the number of timing chain tensioner failures and piston ring wear issues that have been reported on the 1.8/2.0 TSI engine, I would be looking at getting an extended warranty.

• Like 1

With the number of timing chain tensioner failures and piston ring wear issues that have been reported on the 1.8/2.0 TSI engine, I would be looking at getting an extended warranty.

+1 if all servicing has been done and £300 well spent IMHO. But check the conditions.

Yes, my Yeti is 3 years old this October, and reading the faults, some very serious, that happen to others on this site I am now getting a bit

"windy" about keeping it beyond the 3 years.

But, on the other hand, it will have covered only 10k at the very most & save for a initial problem with electric seat, the Yeti has been absolutely great.

What would others do ??  I am really undecided at the moment.

Just to note the extended warranty does have some exclusions such as wiring problems and trim. So any problems relating to those need fixing before on the manufacturers warranty.

I would talk to them about the chain issues on these engines and say you are worried. They may do you a deal on an extended warranty.

Phil

As Yeti has such a good reputation on such as Auto Express Driver Power, how come we on BRISKODA think the TSi petrol engines are going to be a problem as they get older?

Was it just the early TSi that was fragile? Is it high mileage that's the problem?

Is it like if you work in a hospital that you assume most people are going to get sick?

Can you buy extended warranty just as warranty runs out?

Does it cover engine major faults?

We need to know!

As Yeti has such a good reputation on such as Auto Express Driver Power, how come we on BRISKODA think the TSi petrol engines are going to be a problem as they get older?

You do have to remember that the this survey is simply that - a self-reporting survey. It's not really independent or objective (except in a fairly narrow sense - ie I'm not suggesting that the results were fixed!). It's just owners reporting how satisfied they feel with their purchase and by that chalk it clearly scores pretty well.

But there are all sorts of possible reasons for bias in such a survey, eg it could be that the sort of driver (eg age-group, more likely to be a private purchase than a company car) to whom the Yeti appeals is less likely to admit that they're made a mistake. NB I'm not suggesting that this is necessarily the case, it's just that any self-reporting survey is vulnerable to bias of one sort or another. I do wonder also if Yeti owners may have spent more time carefully weighing up the Yeti pros and cons before deciding to purchase and so will have a clearer idea of what to expect - so on this count also they'll have reason to be satisfied - it does indeed do what it says on the tin and with few if any unpleasant surprises.

And very probably most owners will only have had their Yeti for eg 1-2 years and mostly from new when it's unlikely to have had any major faults. So personally I don't set very much store by this particular survey - it's an interesting and reassuring curiosity but no more than that.

• Like 2

Can't see the point in extended debate myself.  For £144 you can cover the vast majority of what is likely to be a major expense.  £12 a month.  Then you don't have to look at Auto Express reviews or statistics on potential problems with DSG...you simply pays your money (and hope the company taking your premium will stick to their side of the bargain).  All covered in earlier threads - in which much time was spent debating the pros and cons of extended warranties. (Use the search box)

Or you get a Toyota, Kia, Hyundai, Vauxhall etc and put the matter off for another couple of years (four in Kia's case).

Some excellent advice here.  Thanks everyone.

If I decide to explore the extended warranty option, is that something I raise with my local Skoda dealer or with Skoda UK?  Will I be automatically offered one or do I raise the subject?  I'm also guessing that there might be some value in 'shopping' around for the best extended warranty deal if they're individually offered by dealers.

I'm actually considering keeping the car.  I've replaced my previous two Skodas after they'd both clocked up 150,000 miles or more and was very satisfied with their reliabilty overall.

There will be yet another tennis match on this topic. It will, after all, be your choice because for anyone to guess what might or might not go wrong is impossible. If you have the money in your pocket then go for it. It could be money down the drain or money well spent, who knows.

We went for 5 years insurance (£350 premium) on all our new kitchen white goods (7 items). 3 years (2 years past the 12 months) into the contract and we have had repairs to 2 items which just about match the premium. We are happy with our choice.

My warranty is due to end in August and I'm about to book the car into a local skoda dealers in order to have the electrically heated seats fixed (the driver's side now only heats up the back rest) and also to have the electric demister in the driver's side mirror fixed.  Otherwise the car seems fine.  

However, can anyone suggest anything else that I might consider checking (or I might have overlooked) that I can usefully take advantage of the final few months of the warranty before it's too late? (1.8 4x4 Elegance 61 reg)?

Have the badges and wheel centres been replaced yet?

Fred

Some excellent advice here.  Thanks everyone.

If I decide to explore the extended warranty option, is that something I raise with my local Skoda dealer or with Skoda UK?  Will I be automatically offered one or do I raise the subject?  I'm also guessing that there might be some value in 'shopping' around for the best extended warranty deal if they're individually offered by dealers.

I'm actually considering keeping the car.  I've replaced my previous two Skodas after they'd both clocked up 150,000 miles or more and was very satisfied with their reliabilty overall.

I guess you didn't do as I suggested and search the "extended warranty" threads.  If you had you'd have seen the answers to your questions PLUS a whole lot more...as I said the entire topic covered in the minutest detail.

Have the badges and wheel centres been replaced yet?

Fred

They haven't! And you're right Fred, the rear badge is looking 'wormy'! Thanks 

• Like 1

I guess you didn't do as I suggested and search the "extended warranty" threads.  If you had you'd have seen the answers to your questions PLUS a whole lot more...as I said the entire topic covered in the minutest detail.

I haven't Stan and I duly consider my knuckles firmly rapped!  Will do soon however when I can muster sufficient energy to get my clearly very work-shy arse to delve into the mire and savour those minutest details.  Here goes..... ;)

Hmmm, I have just been there and its a subjective topic indeed....but made me think twice about the vehicle we have on order. For me, the Skoda 2 year option will be taken before registration.

Hmmm, I have just been there and its a subjective topic indeed....but made me think twice about the vehicle we have on order. For me, the Skoda 2 year option will be taken before registration.

Good idea.

I have had my badges replaced six months ago, and I sealed them in with clear sealent. but I have been told Skoda will not do them again, yet the bonnet badge is going again,

the Yeti 140 will be three years old next January, I have only done 7800 miles in the car and is spotless. Pity the badges are not. I do think it's a great car, as i was in the trade for a few years I chose a car that was well built, if Rover was still going I would have bought a '75' so Skoda was in my judgement the best choice for the money.

I think I might have a strange noise starting it might be the turbo bearing on tick over, or a water pump bearing, or a alternator bearing, so I will have to keep an ear on it.

so thanks for the tips as above. The 'Telegraph' have a good warranty.

Further to my post above,

I was informed, at the time of placing my order, that the extended warranty could be purchased just before the 3 year std warranty ends. There was no mention that this would be any different from the Skoda pre reg warranty. At that time I said OK I will do it then but having read the warranty topics I feel it's better to do it pre registration. Another thing the sales chap said was that if the car is traded in during the 3 year period, any extended warranty is null and void and cannot be passed on to a new owner through them. So in reality having it in place pre reg, IMHO, would make it a very good selling point should one be considering a private sale at any time up to 5 years.

Peps should also read the 3 year warranty because it is 2 years + 1 year. The 3rd year being the 60,000 mile limitation.

Also, there is a 6500 mile caveat

Items where the lifetime of the component is or can be influenced by driving style and external factors will only be considered under the terms of the warranty for a period of six months or 6,500 miles (whichever is soonest). So, what items would this refer to ???

Further to my post above,

Items where the lifetime of the component is or can be influenced by driving style and external factors will only be considered under the terms of the warranty for a period of six months or 6,500 miles (whichever is soonest). So, what items would this refer to ???

Clutch springs to mind.....

Clutch springs to mind.....

It would be interesting to see how they could blame the driver or external factors. Something I would strongly contest if they did fail after 6.5k and £25k spent.

It would be interesting to see how they could blame the driver or external factors. Something I would strongly contest if they did fail after 6.5k and £25k spent.

Indeed you would strongly contest it...as would most, but having experienced the 'Customer Service' (term used in it's loosest sense) from Hyundai I've seen how doggedly they offloaded responsibility for their failed clutch linings for several years.  And I read, on the forum, that that still remains the case.  I suspect most manufacturers will offer limited responsibility for "consumables" and clutch and brake linings are very likely to fall within this category.  One of the reasons I bought an automatic Hyundai rather than a manual.  I had their manual offering first and declined it second time around.  (and, yes, you would be right to question why I bought TWO Hyundais).