oil consumption test

Just as a suggestion - on these scary posts, it would be nice if EVERYONE who posts about an oil consumption figure were to include the following information on every post:

1. Age of the car

2. Engine - CAVE or CTHE

3. Total miles covered by the car to date

4. Number of owners

My car (2014 - CTHE - 9,000 miles) seems absolutely fine although it does use more oil than any car I have ever owned before.

But I think that all the horrific and often incomplete posts may give a misleading impression about the current car and impact the resale value.

?

So how much is your Oil usage, because your post does not help make things clear.

How many tankfills of Fuel or miles do you cover before you need to put oil in,

& then how much oil have you put in over 9,000 miles?

A CTHE Engine built late 2012 - 2014 should have no Oil Consumption issues.

This was why the engine was revised & the Engine Management.

But a very few members here have had and had cars with CTHE engines first registered late 2012 - 2013 with Engines that have required replacing.

a CTHE  engine might still need the Spark Plugs replaced long before the 40,000 mile Skoda / VW Service Schedule suggests.

Edited by goneoffSKi

PS

Do you really think the Internet scare stories have affected adversely the Trade in Values, ?

3 year old cars faired quite well even when some knew of the issues.

& anyone buying a car that was available discounted heavily might expect to lose money if the keep it only 1 or 2 years.

an almost brand new low mileage Demonstrator 14 & even 64 plate is available for less than they were 4 years ago.

I was pointed towards one last week with 67 miles covered for under £14,000, & that was only the 'Asking Price',

not what you would need to pay.

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

Just as a suggestion - on these scary posts, it would be nice if EVERYONE who posts about an oil consumption figure were to include the following information on every post:

1. Age of the car

2. Engine - CAVE or CTHE

3. Total miles covered by the car to date

4. Number of owners

My car (2014 - CTHE - 9,000 miles) seems absolutely fine although it does use more oil than any car I have ever owned before.

But I think that all the horrific and often incomplete posts may give a misleading impression about the current car and impact the resale value.

Ok then

61 just tucked over 3 years old

cave engine

I'm second owner

It's done 22k

When we were looking to get one all I kept reading about them is oil issues, knowing this went and got one anyway

• Like 2

Quick update with some further good news, our engine replaced 24 Sept 2014 has now gone 3000 miles since the change, and I'm pleased to say that a cold check carried out this morning confirms the level hasn't dropped. Over the moon. Touch wood all will be well going forward, but so far so good.

Ps. now quite well run in, only ever has Tesco Momentum in tank, and DSG seems to have cottoned on to the driving styles of my wife and I, car going well and carries quite a bit of poke about it. Cracking noise going through 3rd and 4th at higher revs. Hard to say what overall mpg is as it seems to reset before the car moves off every day, wife seems to be getting around 37/38 about town and around 44 on longer journeys, so looks decent enough.

Pps. Meant to say just about to book it into the dealer for the 30,000 mile service as advised by Skoda and the dealer, in order to keep the warranty intact. I'm not exactly over the moon about this as the engine was only installed 3000 miles ago with new filters, oil and plugs among others. However my father is a voice of relative wisdom in this, telling me that good, fresh oil never did an engine any harm.

Edited by Sittingbull
  • Like 2

Quick update with some further good news, our engine replaced 24 Sept 2014 has now gone 3000 miles since the change, and I'm pleased to say that a cold check carried out this morning confirms the level hasn't dropped. Over the moon. Touch wood all will be well going forward, but so far so good.

Ps. now quite well run in, only ever has Tesco Momentum in tank, and DSG seems to have cottoned on to the driving styles of my wife and I, car going well and carries quite a bit of poke about it. Cracking noise going through 3rd and 4th at higher revs. Hard to say what overall mpg is as it seems to reset before the car moves off every day, wife seems to be getting around 37/38 about town and around 44 on longer journeys, so looks decent enough.

Pps. Meant to say just about to book it into the dealer for the 30,000 mile service as advised by Skoda and the dealer, in order to keep the warranty intact. I'm not exactly over the moon about this as the engine was only installed 3000 miles ago with new filters, oil and plugs among others. However my father is a voice of relative wisdom in this, telling me that good, fresh oil never did an engine any harm.

It stores the average mpg also which you can change the display to show instead of the trip one which resets after two hours of non-use. Maybe someone else can say how to do this?
  • Like 1

It stores the average mpg also which you can change the display to show instead of the trip one which resets after two hours of non-use. Maybe someone else can say how to do this?

On the right stalk there is a button underneath which you can press and it will change between '1' and '2' 1 is the one that resets after 2 hours the other resets when you reset it (press and hold to reset).

Little update, they told me to do minimum of 300km, ended up doing 400 miles, they picked it back up, no communication from 8:30 until 4:30 when the driver dropped it back off and told me they had changed the oil breathers topped up my oil and now have to do 621 miles.

Not happy as this isn't what they said before, no communication from them, they said they had changed the breathers on the first visit and I'm having to return again after the 621 miles. We will see what happens next then I will update when necessary.

• Like 1

So was the Breather Valve mod done & a ECU Update.

You will want to see the report & the Oil Weights before & after the test.

I take it there was a New Filter & new oil & dripped and weighed, before & after the test.

Your car & it is Warranty Work and available for you top check.

There is a different Breather Mod that 'OzFabia' had done by Skoda Australia. (a Briskoda member)

So what is the story with Audi?

has there never been a Audi A1 185ps Twnincharger in your Workshop getting an Oil Consumption test done.

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

So was the Breather Valve mod done & a ECU Update.

You will want to see the report & the Oil Weights before & after the test.

I take it there was a New Filter & new oil & dripped and weighed, before & after the test.

Your car & it is Warranty Work and available for you top check.

There is a different Breather Mod that 'OzFabia' had done by Skoda Australia. (a Briskoda member)

So what is the story with Audi?

has there never been a Audi A1 185ps Twnincharger in your Workshop getting an Oil Consumption test done.

I'm going to request the weights and documents next time it goes in.

At our place first part of oil consumption is breather mod and update, new oil (weighed) and filter, send them away for the 621 miles and then weigh the oil again when it comes back in. 2 visits and you're done :-)

• Like 1

Odd how its all made up as it goes along, there have been so many different Dealerships doing different things.

No consistency with VW, Audi, Seat & Skoda for how owners of Twinchargers are having the vehicles checked.

Audi dealers were not doing a Breather Pipe Valve mod & ECU update before a Consumption test was done to confirm it was an oil user,

and since there are less than 500 A1 185 ps, any one dealer could not have tested many of them.

Did you know the weight of a litre of engine oil?

When did it change to 1000 km?,   it was 300km

Originally the Dynamic Test which was more accurate was carried out by a Technician over a 100 km, 

but then the Instructions were very clearly set out.

The Oil Consumption Test Report below was rubbish, because some Technician seemed to think

a litre of oil weighed 1000 grams. 

& the original way the test was done.

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 2

Before the test the car was using 0.9 litres for every 621 miles, they did the breather mod and now it's come out at 0.45. So that's 0.5 under what it would be to get an engine replacement. Still not happy with this, disgusted by how I've been treat by skoda. They then said there would be a charge of nearly 200 quid for the test which I refused to pay and just waiting a call back from the manager.

• Like 1

Before the test the car was using 0.9 litres for every 621 miles, they did the breather mod and now it's come out at 0.45. So that's 0.5 under what it would be to get an engine replacement. Still not happy with this, disgusted by how I've been treat by skoda. They then said there would be a charge of nearly 200 quid for the test which I refused to pay and just waiting a call back from the manager.

If it failed the 1st consumption test, then the follow on breather change and subsequent  test, is all part of the procedure and you should not have to pay a penny!

• Like 1

Tom,

a load of tosh from them.

Surely you are able to compute yourself the oil usage of your car.

So have you got the Test Report with the Oil Weights, Before & After.?

How do they intend getting payment,

have they still got your car?

A Dealership going to a Small Claims Court would be good.

• Like 1

I'm at meadowhall at the moment they still have the car, I am in no way shape or form paying for this.

The guy on te phone didn't know what to say to me at all during the whole conversation.

I don't have the weights yet I am going to ask when I speak to the manager.

• Like 1

I'm at meadowhall at the moment they still have the car, I am in no way shape or form paying for this.

The guy on te phone didn't know what to say to me at all during the whole conversation.

Get them to ring Tom Chadwick at Skoda UKCS while you are there to pick the car up.

If they decline to speak to him,then speak to the dealership MD.

NOTE! Tom Chadwick normally leaves by 4.00pm,so do it now.

Edited by vrskeith
  • Like 1

It is up to the dealership to recover their costs from Skoda UK, not the Customer with a faulty product.

Edited by vrskeith
  • Like 1

Just been in I missed the call, as soon as we walked in he was being nice to me, told me everything has been paid for by skoda uk. Will update if the usage gets any worse just a quick one letting you know I hadn't paid, getting all the info I have asked for emailed as I am in a rush

Edit: they were trying to charge me £320 for the pleasure which is what was on the invoice

Edited by Tom Clarke
  • Like 2

Just been in I missed the call, as soon as we walked in he was being nice to me, told me everything has been paid for by skoda uk. Will update if the usage gets any worse just a quick one letting you know I hadn't paid, getting all the info I have asked for emailed as I am in a rush

Edit: they were trying to charge me £320 for the pleasure which is what was on the invoice

They know that is correct - another attempt by a dealer to rip-off a Customer!

About time Skoda UKCS put out a directive to dealers regarding this issue.

• Like 1

They know that is correct - another attempt by a dealer to rip-off a Customer!

About time Skoda UKCS put out a directive to dealers regarding this issue.

I just think it's disgusting how I've been treat, when we went the manager didn't even look competent enough to be doing his job, he basically sat silent. What frustrates me is that how any dealers have made people pay for it doing because the customer doesn't know about it. Will be speaking to skoda uk on the 5th, New Years/my birthday tomorrow then a busy weekend and we scheduled a call for Monday anyway, I shall be speaking to Anne at skoda uk on Monday she has been really nice and pleasant to me throughout and then I shall ask to speak to tom Chadwick

• Like 1

Have a good one, & a great New Year when it comes.

There are Members and Others that Paid, and others that were invoiced and would not pay.

& there are those that Paid for Consumption Tests that were refunded & had new Engines.

So if anyone was charged for an Oil Consumption Test on a 1.4 TSI Twincharger CAVE / CTHE, they should Contact Skoda UK 

Milton Keynes to see about being refunded.

Alasdair Stewart Brand Director Skoda UK and Skoda HQ should be having a busy time with the Launch of the All New 3rd Generation

Skoda Fabia 2015.

I hope they can find the time to deal with their past Customer Services Failures and maybe make some public announcement 

on how they will deal with still failing engines,

Maybe some information out to the 'Factory Trained Technicians' and Franchised Dealership Principals would help.

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

Tom,  

any update how you are getting on?

Yes sorry, well kind of. Currently having an argument with the dealership, absolutely worst customer service I have ever come across. Won't give me the weights of oil, won't let me have a copy of the job card, obviously had new oil and oil filter and my service was due in about 1000 miles, they reset my service light but won't stamp my book so I'm arguing about that as well. I'm currently on with the dealer principal, he said on Monday night he will speak to those concerned and get back to me within 24 hours... I heard nothing so far so emailed again last night and still nothing. I won't be taking my car to this dealership again. Just waiting to see what he says when he rings me