oil consumption test

Good on the no Oil Light,

but have you checked to see if it is using Oil.?

Why would they Stamp your service book, it was not Serviced just the Oil & Filter Changed for free.

What Service light did they reset,?

you just go into the Maxi Dot and reset it yourself any time if on Fixed Servicing. 372 days / 9,400 miles.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Did another oil consumption test,

Result was a fail using 1.36 litres per 1000km.

Next step they told me is replacing the oil jets...

Really?? That is a complete engine rebuild and the first I've heard anybody doing in case of high oil use - I think they are talking out of their brown pipe here. Get in touch with Skoda UK directly if you haven't done it so far.

• Like 1

Really?? That is a complete engine rebuild and the first I've heard anybody doing in case of high oil use - I think they are talking out of their brown pipe here. Get in touch with Skoda UK directly if you haven't done it so far.

mine had the oil jets replaced too about a month ago

You live and learn, must be a new thing they do then! And what was the result?

works for some, and some see wicked results I.E complete fix , my engine was just screwed any way seemed to burn the oil a different way probably a valve issue also had a very lumpy idle timing, had a misfire on mine aswell either way my CAVE was a very poorly engine,  

Not sure of the numbers but I know george (goneoffski) was in discussion with a few members on here about this recently, including I believe one member from Australia where Skoda had decided on this as the latest fix.

I might be wrong but to me this looks like a budget option from Skoda, perhaps more in hope that it will work than expectation, but still not costing in excess of £4.5k a time. Maybe one of the technically minded posters or even a Skoda master technician or representative could come on and allay those concerns with a layman's explanation of why this solution will work, and for how long, and what they will do if it turns out to be only a partial solution. I hope for everyone's sake this does work without problems.

I also wonder however, if those owners with good engines, whether replacement or original, should be getting this done as part of service campaign or dare I mention the other word, recall? I mean, if these engines require these new oil squirter jets to allow them to perform at optimum levels, surely that would apply to all 132/136kw engines?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Bump for anyone interested.

Started as an Oil User.

Dealership talk of Goodwill Gesture.

In the end a new engine fitted, then a new ECU.

Now a perfect car, CAVE, but not an Oil User.  Remapped & fast.  

It can be done,  just do not believe Dealership Employees, and question the Trained Technicians and the not so well trained ones.

• Like 1

I just called up my local dealer to ask about the cost of having the oil squirter jets fitted. While my car is within Skoda's oil usage tolerances (never had a consumption test done but come to that conclusion from my own estimates), if they're not too expensive and do help reduce oil usage then I might consider it. My car has always used oil but has a APR Stage 1 map and has been for the last 18 months/25-30,000miles without any issues.

The guy I spoke to from the service department had no idea what I was talking about and said he'd speak to the Master Tech's and give me a call on Monday

The pinned thread done by vxh26 at the top of page has a post by MilgeS with the parts numbers and the cost approx.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/358101-vrs-mk-ii-14-litre-twincharger-oil-consumption-issues

Post #22.

Are you using good oil and a good Oil filter?  Maybe try 5W 40 Full Synthetic to VW 502 00.

Not just Castrol 5w 30 Full Synthetic Long Life lll Rubbish or a VW OEM Oil filter

Edited by GoneOffSKi
  • Like 1

IIRC Castrol forced a downwards redefinition of "full synthetic oil" when they marketed their rubbish in the US as fully synthetic when it was in fact based on inferior group iii (hydrocracked) base stock. A lot of engineers were very upset about this triumph of marketing and castrols legal lobbying.

Never understood why castrol is held in high esteem for what is overpriced run of the mill stuff. They had the cheek to shortchange people with 4 litre cans instead of 5 litres - again marketing and price gouging. The confusing number of variants (edge, edge plus,titantium edge plus plus, fluffy toy edition, etc etc) is imo a marketing tool to fool gullible people who want to buy the best but get blinded by the marketing.

• Like 1

The guys and gals in Servicing Departments are a wonderful thing.

Keyboard Skills & Communications might be expected, but even that can be is short supply.

Knowledge of Vehicles or the Brands that the Dealership deal in is certainly not a requirement with VW Group Dealerships.

The pinned thread done by vxh26 at the top of page has a post by MilgeS with the parts numbers and the cost approx.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/358101-vrs-mk-ii-14-litre-twincharger-oil-consumption-issues

Post #22.

Are you using good oil and a good Oil filter? Maybe try 5W 40 Full Synthetic to VW 502 00.

Not just Castrol 5w 30 Full Synthetic Long Life lll Rubbish or a VW OEM Oil filter

Yes, I always use Mobil 1 or Shell Helix oil. Opie Oils have got a good Mobil 1 and Fuchs Titan very well priced at the moment so I will get more of that too soon. I always buy the best filters available too, which are all changed every 10,000 miles along with the oil and spark plugs.

I had Low Oil Pressure warning while using Shell Helix in a Twincharger.

It was being thrashed and it was a very hot day.

Oil changed as soon as it had happened twice, then never an issue again with that engine.

I use cheap Filters, £3.50-£4.00 (trade price) and change them often.

'Mahle OC295'

I have supplied them to other members & others and they have had good results with them.

ie Their engines stop using the oil they were when used with 5W 40 to VW502 00.

Edited by GoneOffSKi

Do not ask me why, i just do what works and that is enough for me,

change filters more often than oil, and not use the VW recommended oil.

VW highly trained engineers had 5 years to resolve matters and failed pretty much.

The Mahle Oil Filters and 5w 40 even from Asda have the indicated oil temp lower even with Stage 1, 

and less oil used even in an oil user.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just a query, I've been reading all the various forum posts across the web about the oil consumption issue with the 1.4 twin charger engine. A lot of people are saying it's because they aren't being thrashed enough.

How would this help the oil consumption? Surly if the engine is under greater pressure then that would put more pressure on seals etc and cause oil seepage causing increased oil consumption?

It works so that is really good enough....

But actually once the engine is up to temp, and then the oil gets a bit hotter, the Rings and Scrapers get a chance to expand, 

the spark plugs get nice an hot and clean of oil gunge and carbon / soot and go to a nice colour, 

the cars engine performs as it was designed to with 99 ron fuel.  After your spirited driving the plugs are clean the engines 4 cylinder and the valves have had a nice work out, and all is well.

Or thats as i see it in simple terms.   If it does not help, then whats lost, you have some fun nipping on!

Good Plugs, Good oil and not Castrol Shell Long Life crap and Super inleaded and a bit of a heat up and blow the soot out the exhaust and all seems well with most Twinchargers.  Especially ones that use oil and are never warmed up or given some often enough.

Edited by GoneOffSKi
  • Like 1