Cat saves young boy

ell

This reminded me of what happened to me on "good" Friday.

We had a random dog get into our back garden which bit me then attacked the cat, in the process of splitting up the cat and dog both myself and mother received more bites from the dog.

Luckily the cat was okay after a £800 bill from the bank holiday emergency vets. My mother ended up in hospital on a drip for 4 days and I had my arms bandaged up and was on a course of antibiotics.

All the commotion occurred while the other half sat in bed watching tv oblivious to it, until I walked in with blood pouring from my arms asking her to pass me my car keys.  

Glad the lad came off okay in the video, all animals can be dangerous, that's just the way it is.

Not much will stop a dog when it's decided to attack bar breaking it's neck. It's like a switch flips in their heads to 20k years ago.

Not much will stop a dog when it's decided to attack bar breaking it's neck. It's like a switch flips in their heads to 20k years ago.

You'd like to think if you were there you could just boot the dog in the abdomen until it yielded. A while back a lady on the radio described how a dog went for her dog and how she tried to break it up. She belted the attacking dog on the head with a stick, kicked it, tried to claw at its eyes and even attempted, I quote, "to pull it backwards by it's rear legs" - is that a recognised technique?! None of it worked, when the attack ended, her dog was beyond help and she sustained some nasty bites on her arms. I have 2 young kids, the thought of it is terrifying.....and our cat is a big girl's blouse so fat use she'd be.

You'd like to think if you were there you could just boot the dog in the abdomen until it yielded. A while back a lady on the radio described how a dog went for her dog and how she tried to break it up. She belted the attacking dog on the head with a stick, kicked it, tried to claw at its eyes and even attempted, I quote, "to pull it backwards by it's rear legs" - is that a recognised technique?! None of it worked, when the attack ended, her dog was beyond help and she sustained some nasty bites on her arms. I have 2 young kids, the thought of it is terrifying.....and our cat is a big girl's blouse so fat use she'd be.

Depending on the dog - some types of terrier - Staffordshire, pit bull, amongst others, are known to 'latch on' and there is little you can do to make them let go, I was told that fire is a good way to make anything stop , but, how are you going to make a fire on the end of a stick whilst a dog is mauling your friend/child/dog !?

Dogs have extremely sensitive ears, anything with long/drooping ears, labradors (rare to get a Labrador mauling something but not excluded) Spaniels, etc - a good grip on their ear and a good twist /yank and pull is extremely painful to a dog, however it is not guaranteed to stop a dog attacking.

As for the leg pulling technique - it is the front legs, regardless of the dog, holding the legs by the paws or as low as possible to allow for the most leverage, pulling them away from one another in an outwards motion, I was told, will kill a dog very quickly, I don't know if it causes hearmoraging or what, but I am told it is fatal.

Alternatively to that, choke/strangle the dog? With a wire, rope or chain or just a bar choke with your forearm like you would a person in a head lock

The neck breaking idea is all well and good but I don't think I would want to grab a dogs head that was gnashing at anything it could get hold of.

I do not - before anyone starts complaining - condone or advise any of these actions towards dogs or any other animal. I haven't ever done the above on a dog And don't intend to.

The exception will be the day I am out walking in the park/street and a dog attack on a person or child is happening, I will definitely be straight over at full sprint to send a size 11 boot into the ribs of any dog big or small that is attacking somebody. If it is a young child the dog is mauling then I would be aiming to kill the dog. Full stop. Maybe not a police dog actually.

A friends elderly mother was attacked by a pitbull outside a shop as she left the shop, the dog near enough tore her nose and one of her cheeks off.

Horrifying.

So yes, if you are wondering, I would kill a dog if it were attacking somebody.

I am a great lover of dogs and think they are brilliant intelligent animals

However it is not debatable: dogs attack, the calmest nicest dog has been known to snap and bite.

At least a cat's attack wouldn't be as lethal or damaging, maybe as it would be easier to dispatch.

To the OP:

Interesting link by the way !

JRJG

This reminded me of what happened to me on "good" Friday.

We had a random dog get into our back garden which bit me then attacked the cat, in the process of splitting up the cat and dog both myself and mother received more bites from the dog.

Luckily the cat was okay after a £800 bill from the bank holiday emergency vets. My mother ended up in hospital on a drip for 4 days and I had my arms bandaged up and was on a course of antibiotics.

All the commotion occurred while the other half sat in bed watching tv oblivious to it, until I walked in with blood pouring from my arms asking her to pass me my car keys.  

Glad the lad came off okay in the video, all animals can be dangerous, that's just the way it is.

hopefully you've sent the bill to the owner and involved the police.

At least a cat's attack wouldn't be as lethal or damaging, maybe as it would be easier to dispatch.

Domestic cats will only attack if attacked, hunting natural prey (mice, birds) or to defend territory against another cat and generally stop once the threat has gone.

Thankfully they dont have lockjaws!

I got attacked by a yellow lab.  It's bloody terrifying.

I was young and strong then (old and flabby now).  I very much underestimated how strong it would be.

First time out with my Mum and our 8 month old English Setter in the woods at the back of their house.  The Lab came barreling down a narrow path and pinned our Setter down  (he was on a lead) and had hold of him around the neck.  The owner saw all this.

I waded in and the Lab went for me, getting hold of my right forearm.  Lab's are relatively soft mouthed but it hurt and it wasn't just a snap, it had hold of me.

Fortunately for me and not for the dog this all happened about 12' away from a stream, I didn't give in to panic, but dragged the dog over to the stream where it got a blooming good dunking.  I was angry enough to tell the owner that he'd get it back lifeless next time - that was just bravado on my part, and there thankfully wasn't a next time.

I got some petty satisfaction at being the only person said Lab wouldn't bark at after that.  He was quite a nice dog really.

Gaz 

hopefully you've sent the bill to the owner and involved the police.

Oh yes we have and they're quite happy to pay it all and the police are dealing with how they handle the dog.

Half the time its not the dog its how the owners treat them,

Parents have a doberman and a little staffy had a go at him one day while out walking, lucky my dads size 10 steel toe cap under its throat and it let go but ours was on lead and that wasn't,

Sort of agree with owners should be licensed and vetted especially with some of the more violent breeds

• Like 1

Few dogs are born bad. Plenty of bad owners around to turn them nasty though. Not just the Staffie on a string mob either. You can make a bad dog by being too soft on them too. they're still pack animals and they need to learn they're at the bottom.

There is a way to kill a dog very easily ! But you have to go to the sharp end so to speak grab the front legs and push them away from each other this this drive the bones into its heart

That is a complete myth and is not true. Dogs' legs do not articulate that way very well as they do not have collar bones, forcing a dog's front legs apart will certainly hurt it, but it will not damage the heart or lungs. If trying to do so you put yourself very close to the dog's mouth and are liable to get badly injured.

I just don't understand those who leave a dog with young children and are surprised when it seriously injures or kills them.

As said a switch can be flipped and there's no going back then.  We don't always know what that switch is, but people say "oh our dog wouldn't hurt a fly"-until it happens.

I have had so many negative experiences with dogs, I steer well clear of them altogether especially when I'm with my kids.

That is a complete myth and is not true. Dogs' legs do not articulate that way very well as they do not have collar bones, forcing a dog's front legs apart will certainly hurt it, but it will not damage the heart or lungs. If trying to do so you put yourself very close to the dog's mouth and are liable to get badly injured.

I've always been told this ? I agree youde get a face full of canines

I agree with you all, theres a huge amount of things that can make a dog bad, and sometimes no matter how good the dog is, it could see red and just flip for no apparent reason. I just saw the good side of the video, which is that cats arent as bad as a lot of people make out :)

I got attacked by a yellow lab. It's bloody terrifying.

Very surprised to hear the dog went this far

But, as someone said just recently in the post: it doesn't matter of the breed or temperament of the dog, it can still attack spontaneously.

We have a little working cocker spaniel, there is a notorious 'spaniel rage' in cocker and springer spaniels which is like a dog trying to be hulk and a friend had to shoot a neighbours spaniel that literally just went bats*** crazy and started attacking everything and anything. If our dog does the same it won't be too much of a problem due to how small it is. But a bigger dog... Poses bigger problems.

As to the leg post, I didn't realise that? I have been told wrong information!

JRJG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Half the time its not the dog its how the owners treat them,

Parents have a doberman and a little staffy had a go at him one day while out walking, lucky my dads size 10 steel toe cap under its throat and it let go but ours was on lead and that wasn't,

Sort of agree with owners should be licensed and vetted especially with some of the more violent breeds

People often say "it's not the dogs it's the owners".. therefore I feel the onwer should face the penalties for the equivalent crime comitted by the dog. Ie. the dog kills someone then the owner gets a manslaughter conviction, or if the dog causes serious injury then GBH e.t.c.

That would be a deterrent to keep the things under control or properly trained.

I believe that is something the current government are looking to clamp down on.