Spare wheel price

Hi All,

Has anyone purchase the spare wheel, and all the other bits for a Octy VRS? I just rang my local dealer and was told the price for spare wheel, tyre, jack, foam insert etc plus fitting was £320......

Now that seems an awful lot when I should have just ticked the options when I got the car, plus not sure what is required in terms of fitting, surely just take out existing insert, and replace with new one.....

Will try a different dealer for a comparison, but if anyone can give me an idea it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

I got the correct full size alloy (used, from a Leon fr) on eBay for £60. I got a 2 tonne scissor jack on eBay or Amazon for £10 or £12.  I already have sockets and a breaker bar to use as a wheel brace. The tyre will be about £100 but since it is the right size it will get used on the car when the fronts wear out so that isn't extra cost. So for about the same as the option for the space saver I have a full size spare.

I think I paid £40 for the foam insert and jack / tools but it was for the 16" wheel but still fits and I managed to find a 18" spare from a mk5 golf in a local scrappy for £50.

Interesting as they told me the jack was different........I can get the insert, jack etc for £45 from Ebay, so might go down that route......then just find a wheel

Thanks

Dave

I thought the usual 16" spare wouldn't fit over the vRS brakes?

I know a standard steel wheel worked on the MkII vRS but I'm sure the MkIII needs a 17" or 18" spare wheel?

EDIT: Loads of info here, looks like you need 18"...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/298692-vrs-space-saver-spare/?hl

post-53955-0-80081900-1388426851_thumb.j post-53955-0-07799300-1388426873_thumb.j post-53955-0-82859100-1388426885_thumb.j

Edited by silver1011

Hi All,

Has anyone purchase the spare wheel, and all the other bits for a Octy VRS? I just rang my local dealer and was told the price for spare wheel, tyre, jack, foam insert etc plus fitting was £320......

Now that seems an awful lot when I should have just ticked the options when I got the car, plus not sure what is required in terms of fitting, surely just take out existing insert, and replace with new one.....

Will try a different dealer for a comparison, but if anyone can give me an idea it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

Is this for an alloy or steel spare.

If its an allot then the wheel on it own will be a good chunk of that. 

Any ideas where to get factory rims for non rs models from? Ordered a car with 18" alaris rims and want a full sized spare. Dealer quoted ~660 aud (£350!!!!!) Just for the rim! At this stage waiting for a secondhand set to pop up on ebay.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

Why do you want a spare of the same design?  The tread wear on the spare will always be different unless you rotate it with the other 4 every few k miles, so it is only ever a short term use item until you fix your puncture.  You'll get the right size, bolt pattern and offset wheel rim from a scrappy/eBay pretty quickly for about £60 of you aren't fused on the design.

Why do you want a spare of the same design?  The tread wear on the spare will always be different unless you rotate it with the other 4 every few k miles, so it is only ever a short term use item until you fix your puncture.  You'll get the right size, bolt pattern and offset wheel rim from a scrappy/eBay pretty quickly for about £60 of you aren't fused on the design.

Identical spare = no limit on usage.

It also makes it easier to replace a pair of tyres, as you can replace both the damaged tyre and whichever is in the worst condition between your spare and the other wheel on that axle, with the other becoming the spare.

When I was in the dealer I asked for the price for a 5th alloy for my Subaru. When the salesman came back, he said 'Its a good job you're sat down, as the stock price for those alloys is £500 each. If I were you, I'd just go get one off another Subaru off ebay.'

Agree Huskoda, which is why I'm a fan of a full size spare, but the extra advantage of the right cosmetic design seems very small. I'd pay a little more for being a spare rim of the same design, but very little more.

I just kept my spare wheel from my last car (Passat b6) when I traded it in, which happened to be a full size alloy, 17" Monte Carlo, should do as a spare to keep me on the road if I get a flat