Dog lovers, I need your help..

When you have taken your dog to a groomers (if you ever have) what have you had done and how much do you pay?

Only for clipping before summer heat £30 - 40 (small-medium sized dog inc was&dry I think) he wouldn't allow any of use to try to clip him and typically enjoyed allowing the lady at groomers and was always a happy pup there. If I got another dog now I wouldn't even bother seeing if he/she would let me clip them, I would rather support the business that took such good care of our old dog for 17 years.  

If you were going to go away for the weekend, if the hotel was permitting would you like to take your dog with you? 

Would depend on nature of weekend, normal family orientated stuff sure. 

If you were to take your dog with you, would you prefer him/her to be completely looked after or stay with you?

Personally if it was the case, kennels at hotel would be my preference for night time and available during day if not dog friendly plans.

With regards to hotel and dogs, I would not be happy if the room next door had an unsettled dog and I could hear it. Nor if a kennels on site would I be happy with a room within ear drop of kennels of dogs talking to each other all night. The general practice has been relatives looking after each others dogs when away in my family. Or like this weekend I was away and couldn't look after my parents dog who were going away somewhere too, so he went to a local kennels as did their cat. 

I live in the same county as my parents and it is a very rural area and the most sparsely populated county in the UK, there are several 'grooming' type places and I have never seen a fashion accessory type dog in the area in my life, these places do seem to survive with things like clipping and nail cutting mainly from what I have seen. 

Circa £17 at home or groomers, cut/ nails and possiblluy anul glands  (in mine not necessary). Full trim and wash ,about  £29 .Only done to let her enjoy summer in comfort, as her full coat would protect her from the worst weather in anywhere in the UK. At moment with 15-20c temperatures , she's not happy, but coping.

Next two - my dogs are rescue ,and are family. No dog room, NO go. Mine spends her time with us. As said, they are family, I go for a FAMILY day out, they do . I don't believe that dogs need constant bathing, it depletes the natural oils they need to keep the coat healthy. An they only need bathing when coat /skin has problems or they are dirty.

A relative of mine has been a groomer so haven't ever paid.

Depending on the venue and site of the hotel I would take the dog with me, however, as a working dog (shooting, retrieving, flushing) it isn't usually spotless clean, not a problem to myself, but it would be to someone who was going to a hotel and didn't particularly like dogs, and found dogs everywhere along with all of the other dog related problems, hairs, slobber, etc.

Although if I am truly honest I think a break from the dog is needed from time to time.

If I were to take the dog

I would want it to stay with me, if I didn't want that I would leave it with relatives/friends or at the kennels.

JRJG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't use a dog grooming place. My labxspringer if she rolls in sheeet as she likes to do I bath her in the river. I brush her with a rubber mit brush thingy. Treatments are not for dogs, clothes are not for dogs. They sometimes need their nails clipped or coats clipped but that is all.

All this dog grooming stuff seems a bit OTT maybe for brainwashed townies but not for country folks.

Unless your geography is that poor or you have looked where i am located its Whitby, which is pretty much in the middle of sticks so dont class me as a townie 

Not all dogs need attention of a groomer but when you have something like a Cocker spaniel, Bichon Frise ect not going to the groomer isnt really an option unless you have want to learn professional grooming at home so its not for brain washer townies, there are breeds out there that require the attention of a professional

Same could be said for pretty much all professions serving the public, car servicing and repair, hair dressers, window cleaners, gardeners ect ect these are all things if you learnt you could do yourself but theres no shame in having the job done by a professional.

• Like 1

Same could be said for pretty much all professions serving the public, car servicing and repair, hair dressers, window cleaners, gardeners ect ect these are all things if you learnt you could do yourself but theres no shame in having the job done by a professional.

Think that's one of the most useful things I've learned in my 30s so far - there are some things that are quicker/cheaper/more fun to do yourself, but for a lot of stuff it's worth chucking a few quid to someone who knows what they're doing.

• 2 weeks later...

We take our Westie to the groomers and it can be like a visit to the hairdresser where you specify if you want a traditional groom style (like a show style) or just an all over trim.

We also use the groomer for jobs like claw trimming where it is possible to cut them too short and draw blood.

I take mine to a groomer for nail clipping (because I hate doing it and the dogs hate it too; I'd rather leave it to someone who knows what they're doing) and anal gland emptying (because one of my dogs is prone to blockages and it's much easier and cheaper to take to a groomer rather than a vet). It's £5 per dog for a nail clip or anal gland empty.

They are whippets so never need brushing; I stroke down with a rubber mitt removes any loose hair if they are moulting. If they get stinky I bathe them at home but try not to do it often.

I would love the option to stay somewhere with my dogs where they could be cared for if I wanted to go somewhere not dog friendly for the day. However I am very picky about dog care; mine go to a home boarder if I holiday without them and would be extremely unhappy in a kennel environment.