DSG Problems and 3rd Service

Just taken my Superb into Westover Bournemouth for its 3rd service.  Not a bad experience, gave me a courtesy car, total cost was £151 for service, £39 for MOT and £63 to replace front and rear wipers.  Wipers seemed a bit excessive.  The Skoda badges were replaced for the second time as they were showing signs of peeling.  My main concern with the car is a vibration from the DSG gearbox, particularly in second gear.  Westover said they had not come across this before but that Skoda had asked that they changed the gearbox oil.  On collecting the car they said that the oil had been changed and this had resolved the problem.  However it is no different.

My problem now is.

1. Do I follow the matter up with Westover/Skoda UK, the warranty runs out on 18 June. 

2. Change the car.

3. Just ignore it, its not too much of an issue at the moment, but will it get worst?

I have seen reports on the forum before regarding a clutch pack being required, it seems odd that Westover were not aware this.

Is there anybody who has successfully resolved this with Skoda under warranty?

That's dealer speak for please go away , follow it up with the dealer and Skoda immediately by phone and email outlining the problems you are having. They are well of what's wrong and how to fix it. An oil change is never going to sort an ongoing vibration.

• Like 1

I would not worry too much as fixes become available DSG's will become more reliable. Shame they switched to dry clutches as they are going to be a problem with time. Dry clutches are used to reduce the drag from oil lubed packs but dry will never last as long as wet.

First, make dsg calibration with VCDS. Someone had here in Slovenia the same problem with dsg in the Audi A3 and the vibration completely disappeared.

First, make dsg calibration with VCDS. Someone had here in Slovenia the same problem with dsg in the Audi A3 and the vibration completely disappeared.

Yes, that would be a good place to start but surely the dealer ran the calibration procedure?

Are there going to be any DSG driven cars left on the road in 5 years time?  :wonder:

I'm absolutely staggered at the failure rate now.

how can you possibly say that?

this gearbox hasnt failed and i bet as many manual boxes fail but you never hear about them.

• Like 1

I recently took mine to Meadens in Sway with similar symptoms (21 months old and 17k miles) and the clutch pack was replaced without any question. I wasn't sure whether to travel east to Meadens or west to Westover, looks like I made the right choice. I suggest a trip to the New Forest to see their service department, who were excellent.

However, my concern remains that the warranty for the new parts runs out at the same time as the rest of the car's 3 year warranty. In another 17k miles it will be 6 months outside of warranty and Skoda UK will be offering a partial "goodwill" contribution. For a known manufacturing defect, I believe Skoda UK should extend the warranty on DSG gearboxes as other VAG brands have in Malaysia, US, etc., to 7 or 10 years. If they are confident in the technology then they should have no qualms extending the warranty, as they won't have any claims because the technology is sound, right?

So, I'll have three choices (I need an auto for health reasons and I don't like traditional slush boxes)

1) Ford get my business on a Powershift model

2) Shell out for an extended warranty every year - never felt the need to do this before.

3) Risk it and then pursue the supplying dealer for compensation if it fails again - which would be very unfair on the supplying dealer, who were fantastic at time of purchase.

• Like 1

how can you possibly say that?

this gearbox hasnt failed and i bet as many manual boxes fail but you never hear about them.

This is the problem with any online forum, people with issues will, quite rightly ask for help and advice when things go wrong, you will not see many people that have had trouble free cars post and say so.... there will be thousands that have never had any issue, I for one hope I will be one of those when mine arrives in late June....

DSG technology was originally marketed by Volkswagen as the DSG and Audi as the S-Tronic, but now, twin-clutch transmissions are now being offered by several others, including Nissan, Mitsubishi, BMW and Porsche.  I suspect even they will have there issues :)

Thanks for that. Westover phoned this morning to ask if I was satisfied with the service.  Someone from the Service Dept will phone me Monday to discuss gearbox. I will try Meadens if I don,t get a result from Westover.  I agree that Skoda should offer an extended warranty on DSG boxes particularly if they have been repaired under the 3 year warranty period.  My car has done 29000 mls and the problem first appeared around 24/25000.  Apart from the vibration, I have been pleased with the car which replaced a 5 series tourer.

I reported vibration when changing into second gear to my Dealer last August, two months before the warranty expired. The car had done 21,000 miles and without a test drive the Dealer agreed over the phone to replace the double clutch unit as they said that this was the problem. The car was duly booked in for three days and a courtesy car supplied. The car has performed perfectly since. I understand that the replacement is a modified item to prevent the build-up of dust within the unit.

My advice is to insist the unit is replaced before the warranty expires. It's a known fault across the VW group so your problem should be rectified without argument.

Graham

Just taken my Superb into Westover Bournemouth for its 3rd service.  Not a bad experience, gave me a courtesy car, total cost was £151 for service, £39 for MOT and £63 to replace front and rear wipers.  Wipers seemed a bit excessive.  The Skoda badges were replaced for the second time as they were showing signs of peeling.  My main concern with the car is a vibration from the DSG gearbox, particularly in second gear.  Westover said they had not come across this before but that Skoda had asked that they changed the gearbox oil.  On collecting the car they said that the oil had been changed and this had resolved the problem.  However it is no different.

My problem now is.

1. Do I follow the matter up with Westover/Skoda UK, the warranty runs out on 18 June. 

2. Change the car.

3. Just ignore it, its not too much of an issue at the moment, but will it get worst?

I have seen reports on the forum before regarding a clutch pack being required, it seems odd that Westover were not aware this.

Is there anybody who has successfully resolved this with Skoda under warranty?

No1 without hesitation. Raise the Case No via Skoda UK Website under the Contact. Brief description of the problem and actions to date.

Request an e-mailed Case No reply.

If contacted by phone always ask for a accurate E-MAIL DETAILING THE DISCUSSION which had taken place on the phone.

Send a copy of the Case No to the dealer explaining your uneasy that the fault was not cured after the DSG service campaign work carried out.Which was noting to do with your original concern.

Hope that helps.

but now, twin-clutch transmissions are now being offered by several others, including Nissan, Mitsubishi, BMW and Porsche

I think you'll find Porsche invented the system (PDK) and have even used it at Le Mans (962 - I think) - so it ought to be trouble free.

My GF has a new Golf GTI with DSG - I don't like it, personally (don't like the surge/clunkyness of it) but, she loves it - on her third car with it.

Chris - Mr Pedant :giggle:  :devil:

Edited by Skoda4x4man