Notchy First Gear!

saurabhdutt

Hi all,

I have had my CitiGo Sport for around 5 months now and done 7,400 miles.

Few times I have noticed an issue which I would like to share with you.

The first gear gets very difficult to engage if I don't start the car for couple of days. Initially it is too hard to put it in the first gear and you drive it for few miles and then it starts getting softer. Issue is only with the first gear. If I keep on driving the car every single day then there is no issue what so ever.

Has any one of you had such issue??

Thanks

Saurabh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I have had this issue, don't know what it is!! Doesn't really worry me, as you say as soon as it's moved there is no problem!

Still might mention it as it's first service in September! I have only done 4k since last September lol

Yeah I have had this issue, don't know what it is!! Doesn't really worry me, as you say as soon as it's moved there is no problem!

Still might mention it as it's first service in September! I have only done 4k since last September lol

Cheers mate. Will mention at the first service.

Mine is a little difficult to go in 1st when stood a while, lift you foot of the clutch then try again, usually works for me.

Just done a gear oil change on my other car as it had a bit of a notchy change, mainly from 1st to 2nd. I've had a run out in it today and the change now smooth in all gears. I used Castrol syntrans 75w-90 in that, wonder if they use Castrol in the Citigo gear box? they imply they do in the engine, re the bottle they supply with the car.

• Like 1

it used to be the first oil in a car was called running in oil, and ran at a different consistancy. dont know if the citigo does this, but it would explain an improvement after the first service.

They don't change the gearbox oil on the first service only the engine! maybe they adjusted the linkage?

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is a little difficult to go in 1st when stood a while, lift you foot of the clutch then try again, usually works for me.

Just done a gear oil change on my other car as it had a bit of a notchy change, mainly from 1st to 2nd. I've had a run out in it today and the change now smooth in all gears. I used Castrol syntrans 75w-90 in that, wonder if they use Castrol in the Citigo gear box? they imply they do in the engine, re the bottle they supply with the car.

Also Mick the inside of the owners manual wallet has a Castrol Edge 'label' as another hint that this is the favoured engine oil. My Skoda dealer use it as standard, so I guess that is Skoda's requirement. Being of the old school I got them to change oil at 1,000 kms. I asked about changing the gearbox oil at the same time, but they said not necessary.

Bear in mind that difficulty engaging first or reverse gear from rest might be the result of a dragging clutch (i.e. the clutch not disengaging completely), rather than a gearbox fault.

When gear cogs are stationary in gearbox, gears cannot be engaged so easily. Once you release and depress the clutch pedal, gears engage more easily. Totally normal behaviour for manual gear box.

When gear cogs are stationary in gearbox, gears cannot be engaged so easily. Once you release and depress the clutch pedal, gears engage more easily. Totally normal behaviour for manual gear box.

I would agree with that. First thing in the morning, after depressing the clutch while starting the engine, I have to release and depress again before it will go into reverse or first gear. It's been that way with the past 7 VAG cars I've had.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I had the same problem when I first gt the car but it's fixed itself with some mileage on the clock (at 8500 right now).

I've still got a sticky reverse sometimes but a lot less than it used to be, so don't worry about it. I know it's a minor pain but it'll fix itself sooner or later!