REVIEW: Fabia VRS Homemade Induction Kit, Open Cone Filter.

torque limiting... today i gave the furby a spirited run and im starting to wonder if my lackluster midrange and strange gearbox response is the torque limits being reached,

Does anyone know how our cars act when we hit the torque limiter?

Im starting to think that my car is a lot faster than i realise and that its making too much torque, so perhaps the air intake might be making more power??

Don't think so. vRSy here had his vRS at rather high power and torque levels and he was not hitting any walls. Having watched your vid one thing I can say is take the tuning box off and see how she behaves, simple elimination method :).

I'd be interested what brand exhausts you tried or was it a 100% custom jobbie?

Those selling Tuning Boxes say they are suitable with the CTHE ECU...1.4 TSI 132 & 136 kW  Twincharge Engines.

There does seem to be issues with them when on a CTHE though.

'Evan@APR' said to me when i asked in the thread in the Performance Section,

That they can see no reason that the Stage 1 APR Remap could not go on the CTHE ECU,

Then someone failed to install a APR Stage 1 on 'dandanfings' ECU.

You would hope Global companies & even UK Vendors can say Yae or Nae, 

and not go playing about with paying Customers cars in a Trial & Error sort of way.

george

My understanding was that the newer CTHE ECU contains some kind of encryption that is yet to be broken? Given the warantee costs against CAVE engines, it's understandable that they'd want to lock it down to 'factory' spec.

Edited by pearce_jj
  • Like 1

& the CAVE was easy enough to get at, but Skoda/VW check.

A tampered with CTHE ECU, will be easy enough for them to check.

Its your property and anyone can do what they want, just as long as they pay when it goes wrong and not expect 

a Manufacturer to foot the bill.

This is for CAVE, not CTHE.

ok something weird........

now the torque is back like before with stock airbox and the car is performing better aaaand i got a few mpg higher, talking like 2-3mpg over what i normally get.

So im thinking it took a few runs for the car to get used to the air intake?.

I do find the whooshing noises annoying though, thinking of installing a different filter to try to get rid of it.

Anyway, just for ****s and giggles i turned the knob on the TMC box to 9, took it for a spin and the power is exploding when the turbo kicks in, no misfires, no funny issues, just goes mental :-)

Still crappy gearbox response though, but hey ho there's no cure for that.

There is, switch to manual ;)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Or S mode but then im revving the tits off it everywhere i go.

It seems to take an age for it to downshift from 6th/7th when in town, it even holds the clutch and revs to whatever rpm for about half a second before finally letting it go.

Bloody annoying.

Dan, mine doesn't do that at all! Even in D... It looks like your clutch is slipping ?

Since you asked George, I had a play in "S" mode recently. When I switched on cruise control DSG went to S7 lol - imagine my surprise!

your car sounds wrecked if im honest. take it to skoda for them to have a look.

also those apexi filters are like the number 1 replicated filter on the market. so unless you paid the original £110+ price tag you have a fake, which wouldnt have helped with your few bits of pipe which you built the kit out of.

IMO you cant make better than the kit i built.. same length pipes, fit in the same location as airbox, was supported correctly with brackets, incorperated original breather hoses etc. well thought out, you cant just throw some pipe, silicone and a cheap filter at something and claim it doesnt work. plan your **** and do it right. :)

When you are in 'D' & put it in Cruise Control,  then move the Stick to 'S'  & it Shows you are in 'S7'  you will notice you are at the same RPM.

You are not in 'S 7',  it just indicates you are,  switch off 'Cruise Control'  while in 'S 7'  and see what the DSG does.

What I did was driving in S all the time, no D involved at all. Still being in S without touching the stick I switched CC on and it went to S7 after a while 

But I see what you are saying and will try what you described, cheers!

What i am saying is it is not actually in S7.  

just look at the road speed and the RPM.  in 'S'.  or When Indicated as 'S' with Cruise Control on.

The gearbox is driving at an economic and sensible RPM for the throttle position.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Just to add my thoughts to this....

I just installed a air intake myself, i used a APEXI POWER INTAKE instead as the skyline boys swear by them.

Bear in mind i have a cat back 2.5'' exhaust (no mid section) and also a TMC box on setting 7.

F459B82A-F686-4B8F-BF80-A7E24F2322DB_zps

F1491717-9502-423E-A9D1-31DE768111DC_zps

• Loss of low end torque, mostly that instant snap from launch.
  • Mid range same
  • Top end possibly a bit more, hard to tell without dyno, but not much if anything honestly.
  • Throttle response essentially the same, maybe a little bit sharper, but could be placebo effect.
  • Sound is the same, just a hissing noise at part throttle.

All in all a waste of time in my opinion, looking at the stock airbox i dont see much restriction so makes sense that there wouldnt be much in it.

Maybe watch this:

what size filter is that mate, 

• 3 weeks later...