REVIEW: Fabia VRS Homemade Induction Kit, Open Cone Filter.

Hey guys as you know, I was making a homebrew induction kit for my fabia heres a copy and paste from facebook.

Induction kit with results fabia mk2 vrs. With results!

Just fitted my homebrew induction kit i've been gathering bits for over the past few weeks.

Huge dump noises, supercharger whine, hear the turbo spooling, not much intake roar but it is a turbo car...

I've just taken it for a 15 minute beat, stomping on throttle, coming off and stomping on it again. 20, 30, 10, 50 mph constant on off throttle to get temps up! Stopping in traffic, Got home and checked the temp gauge it read 22.9oC.

This is what the kit consists of.

A huge ramair 'monster' filter

76mm Silicone hose with a 70mm inlet reducer. (you will need 70mm if you use a smaller filter)

8mm Barbed fuel connector for breather hose.

330mm Stainless steel bracket.

First impressions, throttle response was unreal, it was instant, very impressed. car also felt a lot faster round the back roads. definite improvement. did not suffer really any heat soak in traffic.

Dont get me wrong, this is a class kit and very well put together, but after driving with the kit for a few hours feeling like a tit, due to constant overly loud suction noises at even part throttle, and what can only be described as a bus braking system going off every time i lift off the throttle i have removed the kit, the supercharger noise was amazing, but the constant annoying hiss was too much for me, some people are into this, i guess its just part of installing an open cone on a turbo car..

this kit will be for sale if somebody makes me a decent offer, if not i will keep it for when i get a NA track car next year. :)

here is a video: http://youtu.be/rUqE9z2Bmcl

(dont know why its not working, Literally just uploaded it from mobile?)

girlfriends recording skills, fingers over microphone, windows closed, car had just had the silencer removed, which you could not hear over the noise of the induction kit.

Im glad there are finally some results on this, this was a small price to pay for real life results,

notes since installing airbox, much nicer to live with especially around town and long distance driving, a lot slower, throttle response is gone, can finally hear the exhaust.

post-115402-0-83275600-1400484946_thumb.jpg

post-115402-0-90262800-1400484954_thumb.jpg

post-115402-0-97897000-1400484960_thumb.jpg

post-115402-0-43544500-1400484966_thumb.jpg

Edited by matthewl

Interesting stuff, would be also nice to dyno the car and see if except from the "feel" there is also a performance boost, and if there is, is it comparable to other known kits out there?

My ITG kit sounds more like that distinct Darth Vader's breathing, some times I like it, some times I don't!

Interesting stuff, would be also nice to dyno the car and see if except from the "feel" there is also a performance boost, and if there is, is it comparable to other known kits out there?

My ITG kit sounds more like that distinct Darth Vader's breathing, some times I like it, some times I don't!

Video is uploaded.

there was definately a huge power boost, but as said, no dyno, no proof.

if it wasnt so loud and annoying i may have dynod it in the future. but instead removed it only hours after installing it..

Edited by matthewl
  • Like 1

Interesting results.
so it basically sounds like a tuner turbo car, with the whistling turbo intake noise?.

Man i used to love that sound in my other car.

If you want to hear the supercharger more without the intake noise, just remove all the sound insulation that its covered it, i did and you can hear the supercharger whine very clearly.

Interesting results.

so it basically sounds like a tuner turbo car, with the whistling turbo intake noise?.

Man i used to love that sound in my other car.

If you want to hear the supercharger more without the intake noise, just remove all the sound insulation that its covered it, i did and you can hear the supercharger whine very clearly.

+1

I want one of these! Fully understand it's not to everyone's taste but I must say I'm a fan.

It really has bought the car alive and you can pretty much hear what everything is doing.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just to add my thoughts to this....

I just installed a air intake myself, i used a APEXI POWER INTAKE instead as the skyline boys swear by them.

Bear in mind i have a cat back 2.5'' exhaust (no mid section) and also a TMC box on setting 7.

F459B82A-F686-4B8F-BF80-A7E24F2322DB_zps

F1491717-9502-423E-A9D1-31DE768111DC_zps

• Loss of low end torque, mostly that instant snap from launch.
  • Mid range same
  • Top end possibly a bit more, hard to tell without dyno, but not much if anything honestly.
  • Throttle response essentially the same, maybe a little bit sharper, but could be placebo effect.
  • Sound is the same, just a hissing noise at part throttle.

All in all a waste of time in my opinion, looking at the stock airbox i dont see much restriction so makes sense that there wouldnt be much in it.

Maybe watch this:

Edited by dandanfings

Those videos from MCM are whats stopped me from spending what seems to be complete wasted cash on new filers or intakes. 

For me the noise also just gets on your wick after a few weeks or a long drive and costs a fortune. Some people do like them and believe that they have made a difference to the cars performance/pickup/top end etc but iv yet to see absolute proof. 

For the price of an IGT kit your most of the way there to being able to afford a better IC which provides only benefits and no compromises. 

rant over. 

A home made cone filter setup is not the same as an off the shelf induction kit. The induction kit has been developed to work as a whole setup with each part be it the filter or housing to work for a better airflow into the engine.

I have an ITG Maxogen and I swear by it. It was the first engine modification I made and the effects were noticeable on my at the time standard engine.

• Like 3

One problem with MCM testing, completely irrelevant as far as say track work is concerned. When you run your car for few laps full chat temps build up so much that cold air intakes make huge difference. Yes, you do not gain any real power but if you did not have you'd loose a huge chunk without cold air intake. Also, decreasing the volume of the system works wonders i.e. less piping. Minimizeing pressure drop is also important - avoid bends and ribbed tubing. MCM chaps as likeable as they might be are simply bs'ing people...

• Like 1

So the standard intake isnt classed as a cold air intake?

If you are doubling the output of the engine yes a different setup might be needed but for the possible difference of a few hp, just wait till the temperatures dropped in an evening and your about the same.

The turbo is churning out 99percrnt of the heat in the intake system anyway

Edited by mrburdon123

Hopefully, I will be able to post stock vs. ITG dyno results some time around the very end of July. (Then maybe a stage 1 with stock filter vs. ITG on if I get a good price for 4 runs altogether.)

I think that should sort how beneficial (or not) an ITG is to this engine.

well i for one feel no benefit having it installed so i am switching back to stock later today.

no noticeable benefit, if anybody wants to buy it off me let me know as i will be ebaying it at some point.

If you want to drink the kool aid and spend £200+ on a pipe and filter go right ahead!.

Yes maybe on a bigger turbo or higher tuned car it might be of benefit but remember mine is in a higher state of tune already.

• Like 1

I'd be worried if I noticed no difference, I found I had a quicker throttle pickup especially at higher speeds.

I watched your V-blog and your comments about the car being quick and then not? Might be worth investigating that and making sure your engine is 100%

• Like 1

So the standard intake isnt classed as a cold air intake?

If you are doubling the output of the engine yes a different setup might be needed but for the possible difference of a few hp, just wait till the temperatures dropped in an evening and your about the same.

The turbo is churning out 99percrnt of the heat in the intake system anyway

Yes, of course it is hence no point in changing it really... the only mod I'd do would to make the pipe coming from the front grill into the airbox larger diameter and free up some space in the front grill to admit more air. Another one is to coat the whole available/accessible air intake tubing/air box in heat reflective paint. Annealed copper is the best, better than gold and is ... s h i n e y  :p

Turbo is indeed creating all the heat but it does make a difference, a large one, what temperature the air entering the system is as this decides O2 desnity turbo has to work with. 

This was the reason the big aftermarket filters installed directly in the engine bay were loosing power compared to stock.

dandanfings,  

Has your car been on a Dyno or do you have it timed on a real road in the different gears.

to compare against Before & after ?

Your CTHE is not tuned is it, it is on the standard map, just running a Tuning Box that seems to be disrupting the cars ECU and 

you have a modified exhaust fitted.

The result might be more noise without much more BHP at the right RPM or gear choice.

george

Cheap Scottish tuning is Open the windows a little,

it then sounds much faster. at 70 mph or even at lower speeds under acceleration..

Cheap Performance Airfilter,

remove old filter totally and use a few layers of fine denier Stocking or Tight material to inhibit bits of rubbish being sucked into your engine.

Very Free Flowing.

Maybe try the first idea but not the second.

Cheap Scottish tuning is Open the windows a little,

it then sounds much faster. at 70 mph or even at lower speeds under acceleration..

Cheap Performance Airfilter,

remove old filter totally and use a few layers of fine denier Stocking or Tight material to inhibit bits of rubbish being sucked into your engine.

Very Free Flowing.

Maybe try the first idea but not the second.

Wow, I did not know anybody knew about stockings any more! I used them in karting eons ago!

torque limiting... today i gave the furby a spirited run and im starting to wonder if my lackluster midrange and strange gearbox response is the torque limits being reached,

Does anyone know how our cars act when we hit the torque limiter?

Im starting to think that my car is a lot faster than i realise and that its making too much torque, so perhaps the air intake might be making more power??