Fabia VRS oil consumption..........What is acceptable?

The car should start the Oil Consumption test with the Correct Quantity of new oil & a new filter.

(then the oil is dropped and weighed etc.)

So just ask the Master Technician the correct quantity of Oil that a 1.4 TSI Twincharger 180 ps minimum engine gets filled with 

when a Oil & Filter change service is done?

Ask why you would take the car for 186 miles with less than the correct quantity of oil in the engine?

1 litre weighs 857 grams.

3.6 litres weighs 3085.2 grams.

if they drained 2350 grams of oil before the test, that was 2.7 litres drained, then put back in the engine surely.

So 3085.2 grams of oil as a minimum.  3.6 litres.

............................................................................................

This below is the old Dynamic Test as it was carried out.

I did ask the technician there and he showed me the TPI for the test which was printed from the diagnostic machine they use.  It clearly tells them to just use 2350g for the test so they have dropped the oil, weighed 2350g and just put that back in and sealed it up.  He said there is no other information out about the test other than what's on the diagnostic machine which gets updated daily so they'll always have the correct test information.  I might have to ring a proper Skoda garage (this one is mainly VW) and see what they say.

All very odd, 

because with 3.6 litres in and a new filter, then brought to over an indicated operating temperature above 50 o*C, 

then dropped but with the Oil Filter still in place you get over 3.2 litres out, and this will weigh at least 2742.4 Grams.

That is then what goes back in to bring the oil up to capacity.

But they are the professionals.

they never make mistakes.

Well the one that did this report below did..............

post-86161-0-26882600-1444143864_thumb.jpg

<SNIP> They only want me to do 186 miles this time round though instead of the 600 miles I did last time.  <SNIP>

A word of warning on the 186 miles.

By all accounts here, oil tends to disappear most rapidly when cars do regular "short" journeys where the engine doesn't have a chance to get up to normal operating temperature (i.e. 90° C).

If in your eagerness to get the test over and done with you were to spend Saturday or Sunday knocking off 186 miles you would quite possibly use next to no oil. I am quite sure that this is not some cunning plan by the Garage or Skoda but it might be "convenient" for them ;)

This whole "oil consumption test" malarkey seems to be slightly less scientific and/or reliable than rolling dice or interpreting chicken entrails.

• Like 1

Just a thought.

Anyone working for Volkswagen or Skoda would never do tests in a way to get the results they want would they.

That would be sneaky, and not something the 'Biggest Car Manufacturer in the World' by sales in the first 6 months of 2015, would do,

or allow anyone that represents them or is trained by them would allow.

Normal Operating Temperature for oil is not 90*oc with these engines.

You can drive one at UK National Speed limits for hundreds of miles and not reach 90*oC depending on the Ambient Temperature.

From a cold start up to 5 Miles driven in average UK summer temperatures might be required to get an indicated 50*oc.

and that depends on the oil you are using in your engine.

Maybe 10 miles can be covered and you are not even at 88*oC actual or indicated.

• Like 1

I did ask the technician there and he showed me the TPI for the test which was printed from the diagnostic machine they use.  It clearly tells them to just use 2350g for the test so they have dropped the oil, weighed 2350g and just put that back in and sealed it up.  He said there is no other information out about the test other than what's on the diagnostic machine which gets updated daily so they'll always have the correct test information.  I might have to ring a proper Skoda garage (this one is mainly VW) and see what they say.

Please don't take any offence because I know you're telling the truth regards what the garage are telling you and showing you, but as someone who had to go through all of this one year ago (result: straight to new engine after one oil consumption test) I am astounded that Skoda UK and VAG in particular, especially after all their recent bad press, are still so far off the mark in terms of consistency of approach and information given out to garages expected to conduct SUK work for them, especially when the knock on effect and costs are so high. Anyone with an ounce of sanity and common sense at SUK or VAG would think that it would surely be worthwhile to get consistency and accuracy in the message that goes out.

Anyhow, as other posters will recall, I was hamstrung initially by a service manager who was a blithering idiot,who not only fed me incorrect information but fervently believed what he was saying, even in the face of irrefutable facts given to him by me and SUK. He was removed from involvement in our case by SUK who asked that another member of the service team handle all matters relating to our vehicle, and the difference was night and day. SUK in fact intimated that they would speak to the franchise holder at senior level as they were so unhappy with the stance taken by the dealer.

As for the test, athough there were problems in finding dates that suited the dealer due to staff holidays, when it did come we were asked to cover at least 400 miles or drive for two weeks whichever came first. Again, not consistent with 1000km or 621 miles but better than 186 miles. We were asked to use in all driving conditions and types of driving. And the technician told us he had put new filter and oil in, 3.6l of oil. In the course of the test, and in normal everyday usage for our car (my wife is a home carer with council) my wife covered almost the entire distance herself within the two week period, and as VXH26 correctly points out, almost all were short, sharp journeys where the car never really warmed up as such, journeys of one or two miles at a time. That was, and indeed remains, the normal everyday use of the car, and with the previous engine did result in the car using a lot of oil, around a litre every 700 miles or so.

Despite the service manager bumping his gums that the car had failed the test "but only just" the chap handling the case simply said to me that the engine had failed the consumption test and that he had ordered a new engine, no messing about with oil breather mod or otherwise, which suited us perfectly.

And now for the outcome, one which I hope you get as well. Our new engine was fitted a year ago, has covered 16k miles and hasn't used a single drop of oil over that period. I hope you and others still going through the process end up successful in getting the car you thought you had bought, and like me end up simply smiling contentedly when you are able to walk past the 5l cartons of oil in garages and supermarkets.

And for anyone from Skoda or VAG looking in, it is an affront to your good name that you are still putting customers through this grand national like series of obstacles when you know, we know and every dog in the street knows that you sold many cars that weren't fit for purpose from the outset and have then ducked, dived and dodged to avoid resolving matters. It is extremely fortunate that this issue never made the headlines in the way that the defeat cheat on emissions has otherwise your reputation would perhaps never recover, and to long standing VAG owners like me (15 in total over the years) that would be a terrible shame as we have no wish to buy into other brands.

Sorry to anyone offended by my rant, and to show it hasnt adversely affected me I would still urge people to buy a MK2 Vrs as good ones are terrific little cars.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

It's really weird wishing something you have is confirmed as broken but that's what's happened with my vRS today.  Theydid the 2nd part of the oil consumption test and it has failed.  It used over a litre of oil doing the 190 miles so now I feel better knowing I wasn't imagining it.  The dealer said they are going to do a breather mod fix, spray jets and software update and hopefully this wil be done next week.

However, when they rang me they said they'd spoken to SUK and they'd refused me any offer of goodwill.  My car was 3 years old on 01 Sep 15 but I purchased a years extended warranty so I'm hoping they'll sort it out through that.  I've been going to the delaer since early 2014 with this problem though so I'll be really miffed if they try to pull the warranty stunt.  I'll keep you updated.

They can not have it both ways.

You are covered by the Warranty you took out.

& if the Warranty Provider says it is a 'Known fault'  then that is still Skoda / VW that knew of the fault.

If any Oil Consumption Tests, or previous reports of high oil usage were made while in the Original Manufactures Warranty,

then the Dealer need not bother speaking about 'Goodwill Gestures', 

Skoda / VW knew of the issues which is why they stopped producing CAVE engines late summer 2012,

and then started building the CTHE engines, which still continued to have issues, and early CTHE engines then required replacing.

PS

In post #414.  i see you had the Issue with High OIl Consumption in August.

So the Dealer will be needing to talk with Skoda UK Customer Services again.

You were in the Original Warranty Period then.

If you are still not getting dealt with by a Skoda UK HQ Customer Services Manager, 

then you need to go back to them and find out why.

There is the Original Warranty & the Skoda Extended Warranty, 

and a Issue with the 1.4 TSI Twincharger Engines that Milton Keynes have had to deal with Hundreds of, 

for the Fabia vRS, Seat Ibiza Cupra, VW Polo GTI & Audi A1 195 PS Twinchargers.

They know the issues, they know the actions required by them to meet their responsibilities.

'Simply Clever'  @ Skoda 

& 'Das Auto' @ VW,   Tell them to get there ar53s into gear.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after nearly 2 weeks since it failed it's oil test my dealer has got back to me. They have spoken to Skoda CS who have told them that they cannot waive the excess on my extended warranty. So, to get my car fixed now they will cover it under the warranty but I will have to pay the £250 excess. I called CS and they just kept repeating the same tired line that there was nothing they could do as the test was done outside of the original warranty period. The last test I had done was a borderline pass but a pass nonetheless so they are not interested in that.

I really don't know where to go from here as they've got me over a barrell. Pay the excess and get it fixed or drive round in it and keep filling it with oil. I suppose I could sell it but I really like driving it! I've posted on their FB page and no answer from there (what did I expect). I tried to send an email to Alasdair Stewart but it bounces back from the email address in the thread on these forums, he's probably blocked it to stop all the emails! Just really cheesed off with Skoda at the moment.

Maybe the excess of £245 and a New Engine is worth while.

Ask how many Oil Spray Jet Replacements have been done to engines of your age and mileage, and the success rate,

Because they might be wasting your time and money and theirs with some temporary fix or attempt at a fix.

Maybe time for a Independent Engineers Report, or some figures from Skoda / VW on their various attempts at fixes,

Rebuilds and New Pistons & Rings, Software Updates, Breather Pipe / Valves of 2 different updates, Updated Engines and 

now OIl Spray Jets.

Maybe fair enough on a newer engine, but a sticking plaster on one unless they have checked the bores etc.

• Like 1

Well, after nearly 2 weeks since it failed it's oil test my dealer has got back to me. They have spoken to Skoda CS who have told them that they cannot waive the excess on my extended warranty. So, to get my car fixed now they will cover it under the warranty but I will have to pay the £250 excess. I called CS and they just kept repeating the same tired line that there was nothing they could do as the test was done outside of the original warranty period. The last test I had done was a borderline pass but a pass nonetheless so they are not interested in that.

I really don't know where to go from here as they've got me over a barrell. Pay the excess and get it fixed or drive round in it and keep filling it with oil. I suppose I could sell it but I really like driving it! I've posted on their FB page and no answer from there (what did I expect). I tried to send an email to Alasdair Stewart but it bounces back from the email address in the thread on these forums, he's probably blocked it to stop all the emails! Just really cheesed off with Skoda at the moment.

Who did you speak to at Skoda UK CS? Name and position In  CS.

Have you got a case No. issued by Skoda UK CS.

You need to get things in writing from them no just verbal

Who did you speak to at Skoda UK CS? Name and position In  CS.

Have you got a case No. issued by Skoda UK CS.

You need to get things in writing from them no just verbal

Got all the details of people I've spoken to, case numbers etc but nothing in writing, all done via the phone.  Just putting together a letter now but it will only go to their CS email and no doubt I'll get the same bog standard response in an email.  I can name the rep I spoke to but I don't think it'll do much good one here.

They are saying they will fix it under the extended warranty but not under the original 3 years warranty which means I'll have to pay the £250 excess which I'm not happy about.

Is it a Service Manager,

one of the ones that have dealt with dozens of cases.

John Good, Tom Chadwick, Dan Wilson or the lady called Caroline?

You need in writing the response and decision, and you need it if you are going to pursue them to get your consumer rights.

VW built faulty engines, and they know it, and they just let some go out of Manufacturers Warranty.

Some Commercial Warranty Companies / Underwriters did not let Skoda off with it, because VW knew the faults.

Skoda / VW Contributed to the Cost of Engine Replacements.

Is it a Service Manager,

one of the ones that have dealt with dozens of cases.

John Good, Tom Chadwick, Dan Wilson or the lady called Caroline?

You need in writing the response and decision, and you need it if you are going to pursue them to get your consumer rights.

VW built faulty engines, and they know it, and they just let some go out of Manufacturers Warranty.

Some Commercial Warranty Companies / Underwriters did not let Skoda off with it, because VW knew the faults.

Skoda / VW Contributed to the Cost of Engine Replacements.

She said she was a Service Manager (Cherie Cornish).  Just got to wait to see what comes back from my letter now.

• Like 1

Must check, 

She was maybe the one that replied to another member saying the 5 litres of oil used in 1000 km was within tolerances.

Best get a Customer Service Manager with a clue on your case,  

& not a Customer Services Communications Manager.

EDIT.

Bumped that thread.

It was another Customer Relations Manager that made the 5 Litres mistake.

Commonly staff make the 1 Litre in 1000km error.

She did say she'd tried everything she could to get me a goodwill payment for the excess and that she'd even spoken to her Executive Officer and it was a no go.  All I'm asking for is for them to repair it without cost to myself, I don't think I'm asking for much considering all the hassle I've gone through trying to get it sorted.  Anyway, just fired off another email to Alasdair Stewart so I'll wait and see what comes from that.

• Like 1

'Goodwill' really has nothing to do with it.

She will need to try harder.  They had Engines with poor Manufacturing and Quality Control.

Anyway,

lets see if the 1.4 TSI / TFSI Twinchargers 132-136kw are part of the VW Emissions Scandal if there are Petrol engines involved.

If it is, maybe just the VW, Seat & Audi Twinchargers that were given  C02 Emmisions of 139g/km,   while the Lighter Skodas were 148g/km  even after the CAVE was replaced late 2012 the 148g CO2 stayed the same when they changed to the CTHE Engine.

http://bbc.co.uk/news/business-34712435

Got my car back this morning, I'm off to Stoke this weekend so after this runout I'll be able to see if it's burning oil still.  Apparently, they have done the spray jets, breather mod and updated the software (TPI 2030474).  I say apparently because there's nothing on my receipt other than it's a warranty job.  The dealer did say that when they get the paperwork back from Skoda Warranty they'll let me have a copy of everything so I'll give it a couple of weeks before I go back for it.

• Like 2

Got my car back this morning, I'm off to Stoke this weekend so after this runout I'll be able to see if it's burning oil still.  Apparently, they have done the spray jets, breather mod and updated the software (TPI 2030474).  I say apparently because there's nothing on my receipt other than it's a warranty job.  The dealer did say that when they get the paperwork back from Skoda Warranty they'll let me have a copy of everything so I'll give it a couple of weeks before I go back for it.

Hope it's sorted for you now and enjoy the weekend drive.

My Mrs bought hers back in July, private sale after selling her mk1 VRS which was a superb car. The new VRS has previously belonged to another forum member which was the first owner and we bought it from the second owner. I checked the oil after we got the car home and found the oil level to be off the stick completely. Not much of a poster on here I stumbled across the issues on this forum about the high oil consumption that effects new VRS, our car has the later CTHE engine being a 2012 registered car so I've kept a close eye on the oil consumption over the past few months. From the information I've gathered the car has had two oil consumption tests done by both previous owners and passed on both occasions at the same dealership.

Since owning the car I've roughly estimated it was using roughly around 0.5 litres of oil every 500 miles so I booked it in with my local dealership for another test before the 3 year manufacturers warranty expires on the 23rd of this month. We've covered just over 500 miles yesterday evening bringing the total mileage of the car to just over 25k as we dropped the car off for the result of the test today. I had a phone call from the technician around midday to tell me the car had failed the test and is using from his calculations 0.8 litres of oil per 1000km's.

I fairness to our local dealership they have been very good indeed along with the technician in dealing with the issue and the modified breather and oil spray jet has been ordered, I await now a phone call on when the work is to be carried out so fingers crossed this will sort out the high consumption issue. I will let you know how we get on in due course.    

Edited by evojay71

My Mrs bought hers back in July, private sale after selling her mk1 VRS which was a superb car. The new VRS has previously belonged to another forum member which was the first owner and we bought it from the second owner. I checked the oil after we got the car home and found the oil level to be off the stick completely. Not much of a poster on here I stumbled across the issues on this forum about the high oil consumption that effects new VRS, our car has the later CTHE engine being a 2012 registered car so I've kept a close eye on the oil consumption over the past few months. From the information I've gathered the car has had two oil consumption tests done by both previous owners and passed on both occasions at the same dealership.

Since owning the car I've roughly estimated it was using roughly around 0.5 litres of oil every 500 miles so I booked it in with my local dealership for another test before the 3 year manufacturers warranty expires on the 23rd of this month. We've covered just over 500 miles yesterday evening bringing the total mileage of the car to just over 25k as we dropped the car off for the result of the test today. I had a phone call from the technician around midday to tell me the car had failed the test and is using from his calculations 0.8 litres of oil per 1000km's.

In fairness to our local dealership they have been very good indeed along with the technician in dealing with the issue and the modified breather and oil spray jet has been ordered, I await now a phone call on when the work is to be carried out so fingers crossed this will sort out the high consumption issue. I will let you know how we get on in due course.